MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

10 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

I just got an email saying that I got accepted to Parsons but I only got 20per cent of tuition off so I will be writing them a letter asking for more aid...

Are you already leaning towards Parsons though?

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

Are you already leaning towards Parsons though?

I am honestly leaning to a place that gives me more aid. As of right now - none of the institutions are giving me enough, so I might not be attending any of them this coming Fall. I am still waiting on the decisions from University of Washington that is a fully funded uni which might be where I end up if accepted. 

If finances were not a question I would go to Parsons. I really like their Photo faculty. But 20 per cent scholarship is a joke to me, unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

I am honestly leaning to a place that gives me more aid. As of right now - none of the institutions are giving me enough, so I might not be attending any of them this coming Fall. I am still waiting on the decisions from University of Washington that is a fully funded uni which might be where I end up if accepted. 

If finances were not a question I would go to Parsons. I really like their Photo faculty. But 20 per cent scholarship is a joke to me, unfortunately. 

Best of luck for UW! And Parsons too. If things work out, we might see each other in New York this fall!

47 minutes ago, Convale said:

Anyone here apply to CMU and hear back yet? I feel like since I've had to wait this long, I probably haven't been admitted but I 'd like to know soon.

Thanks!  

I'm in the same boat. Did you have an interview? I felt good about mine but still waiting which doesn't seem like a great sign. 

2 minutes ago, hello this is said:

I'm in the same boat. Did you have an interview? I felt good about mine but still waiting which doesn't seem like a great sign. 

I didn't feel too good about my interview. So I thought I would get decision notice soon. But I guess its taking longer than I thought.  

Edited by Convale

Just now, Convale said:

I didn't feel too good about my interview. So I thought I would get decision notice soon. But I guess its taking longer than I thought.  

i've been telling myself that they are just slow and meticulous in their process. who knows though. I haven't seen anyone post on here that they've gotten news.. Maybe there are 6 admitted students out there who don't hang out on this forum

1 hour ago, salad said:

Does anyone know if there is a date when schools are sending out final decisions by? I haven't heard anything from VCU (Sculpture), and am assuming I was rejected, but also kinda of wondering if I submitted my application correctly because I can't find any email from them at all...

I am in the same boat with VCU - Sculpture. I saw they already gave interviews and acceptances, so I'm assuming rejection as well. The website for sculpture states final decisions will be given by the end of March.

7 minutes ago, hello this is said:

i've been telling myself that they are just slow and meticulous in their process. who knows though. I haven't seen anyone post on here that they've gotten news.. Maybe there are 6 admitted students out there who don't hang out on this forum

I emailed someone on the 1st and was told that decisions notices should go out in about 2 weeks in nothing was delayed. So I assume the six admitted must know by now.

6 hours ago, salad said:

Does anyone know if there is a date when schools are sending out final decisions by? I haven't heard anything from VCU (Sculpture), and am assuming I was rejected, but also kinda of wondering if I submitted my application correctly because I can't find any email from them at all...

VCU Sculpture made acceptance phone calls March 5th. 

4 hours ago, nobodyok said:

I am in the same boat with VCU - Sculpture. I saw they already gave interviews and acceptances, so I'm assuming rejection as well. The website for sculpture states final decisions will be given by the end of March.

Yep I got a phone call March 5th. 

11 hours ago, hello this is said:

Good luck! I think sometimes the long process after-interview may be because they are applying for funding for you, and want to give you their funding offer with their acceptance. That’s what happened with me and MIT.

Does anyone have any insight into Northwestern’s ATP program? I am leaning towards making my final decision to go there but wondering if anyone has any experiences or could speak to their program? They offer a really generous financial package and the professors seem great but it’s really hard making a final decision!

2 hours ago, katkat said:

Does anyone have any insight into Northwestern’s ATP program? I am leaning towards making my final decision to go there but wondering if anyone has any experiences or could speak to their program? They offer a really generous financial package and the professors seem great but it’s really hard making a final decision!

I know that Michael Rakowitz (http://www.michaelrakowitz.com/) teaches there in the ATP program I believe so for me, that would be a huge plus.

Scratch that. Alone that would be a huge reason to go.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

On 3/19/2021 at 4:08 PM, dramallama_07 said:

That's exactly the dilemma. And I was hoping somebody here would help me on it. My motivation to go to SVA initially was its faculty and the fact that it has a lot of reach and provides good networking opportunities for its students. But in contrast, Parsons is way cheaper and I probably won't even have to apply for loan whereas I would've gone into considerable debt for SVA.

So is the debt worth it for all the opportunities SVA provides? Or should I rather be debt-free?

Also, another's question- SVA originally offered me 8k but when I requested for more, they brought it up to 32k (for both years combined). Do you guys think I can negotiate more now that I have Parsons in hand with a much better scholarship? Or is that just rude to ask since I've already requested once before?

I'm in the same dilemma also. 
I was also super motivated to attend SVA due to its faculty and the opportunities it could provide once I graduated. However once I did my financial modelling I realized I would be around over 150k in debt including tuition, rent , food. etc. I reached out to them and asked if they offered any financial support and all I got was a job placement at the uni for 5k - 20 hours a week per semester. I feel a bit defeated due to this, and even if I were to apply to the scholarships provided I would still be in a lot of debt. 

I got an offer for Otis college of art and design in LA with 50% tuition covered and this is looking like my new path now. 

I totally know where you're coming from and trust me you're not the only one. 

Edited by CMCM

Just now, CMCM said:

I'm in the same dilemma also. 
I was also super motivated to attend SVA due to its faculty and the opportunities it could provide once I graduated. However once I did my financial modelling I realized I would be around over 150k in debt including tuition, rent , food. etc. I reached out to them and asked if they offered any financial support and all I got was a job placement at the uni for 5k - 20 hours a week per semester. I feel a bit defeated due to this, and even if I where to apply to the scholarships provided I would still be in a lot of debt. 

I got an offer for Otis college of art and design in LA with 50% tuition covered and this is looking like my new path now. 

I totally know where you're coming from and trust me you're not the only one. 

SVA Fine Arts? Because I asked for a job placement as an RA/TA but they said that the dept doesnt offer that

SVA Fine Arts? Because I asked for a job placement as an RA/TA but they said that the dept doesnt offer that

No its SVA Design - the job placement would be in the school so like tech, studio aid, photography aid, nothing outside, not even as a TA. 

Just now, CMCM said:

No its SVA Design - the job placement would be in the school so like tech, studio aid, photography aid, nothing outside, not even as a TA. 

Well thats disheartening. But do you think that the opportunities at Otis arent as great as SVA or that you would rather be in debt just for SVA's opportunities?

Well thats disheartening. But do you think that the opportunities at Otis arent as great as SVA or that you would rather be in debt just for SVA's opportunities?

That's a really great question that I've been asking myself this whole time. 
I've also applied to ArtCenter in Pasadena, and EKA in Estonia and am awaiting their decision. 
What I've seen with Otis is their student work is conceptually strong, and there seems to be a strong connection with industry studios in LA, they also have some international offerings which is great. 

However if you know anything about Otis let me know!!! 

I think personally for that matter of debt in attending SVA and the quality of life I may have paying off that debt is not worth it for a MFA in Design, it's my top pick and it hurts a-lot to say but I simply cannot afford that. As a $150k in debt plus interest over time may be a $200k and more.  :( just wish the school was more supportive. 

1 minute ago, CMCM said:

That's a really great question that I've been asking myself this whole time. 
I've also applied to ArtCenter in Pasadena, and EKA in Estonia and am awaiting their decision. 
What I've seen with Otis is their student work is conceptually strong, and there seems to be a strong connection with industry studios in LA, they also have some international offerings which is great. 

However if you know anything about Otis let me know!!! 

I think personally for that matter of debt in attending SVA and the quality of life I may have paying off that debt is not worth it for a MFA in Design, it's my top pick and it hurts a-lot to say but I simply cannot afford that. As a $150k in debt plus interest over time may be a $200k and more.  :( just wish the school was more supportive. 

I totally feel you, especially about the last part. I really wish some departments at SVA were more supportive because with the industry connections the college has, its prime location at NYC and its very accomplished faculty, SVA can easily be a rival to bigger 'name colleges' like SAIC or UCLA if only it was better priced. I've seen on this forum that a lot of able artists who have applied to places like Yale/SAIC/Bard etc deter from applying to SVA only because of its cost- And somewhere even the college loses out on some truly great artists.

And as for Otis, well I have no idea honestly about any West coast colleges. I myself have only applied to the East coast since I wanted to stay close to my partner who starts school in Virginia this fall. That being said, if you have any information about the opportunities at Parsons, I'd be glad to know

27 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

I totally feel you, especially about the last part. I really wish some departments at SVA were more supportive because with the industry connections the college has, its prime location at NYC and its very accomplished faculty, SVA can easily be a rival to bigger 'name colleges' like SAIC or UCLA if only it was better priced. I've seen on this forum that a lot of able artists who have applied to places like Yale/SAIC/Bard etc deter from applying to SVA only because of its cost- And somewhere even the college loses out on some truly great artists.

And as for Otis, well I have no idea honestly about any West coast colleges. I myself have only applied to the East coast since I wanted to stay close to my partner who starts school in Virginia this fall. That being said, if you have any information about the opportunities at Parsons, I'd be glad to know

I have a close friend who is a top notch artist who graduated from Otis and I can say woohoo for that choice too! :)

Plus it doesn't hurt to go to a place where Art School Confidential was shot at (LOL or maybe not :p)