MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

9 hours ago, zoopsia said:

What program did you apply to there? I’m still waiting to hear from them. 

Painting/drawing.  It's hard to find a lot of info about the program on line.  I would have loved to be able to visit the campus and facilities before making concrete decision.

Does anyone know how Pratt is perceived in the artworld?  It seems like you hear more about Columbia, Hunter, Yale, UCLA, SAIC these days.  Does Pratt graduate shows get a lot of attention from curators?  What is the general perception of the school these days in painting specifically.

2 hours ago, jack343234 said:

Does anyone know how Pratt is perceived in the artworld?  It seems like you hear more about Columbia, Hunter, Yale, UCLA, SAIC these days.  Does Pratt graduate shows get a lot of attention from curators?  What is the general perception of the school these days in painting specifically.

I know someone who is at Pratt right now for painting and she seems to be rather happy. About curators I really don't know.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:06 PM, XSX said:

Tyler? Tyler painting anyone? Are we going to hear back today? 

I'm still waiting. I think I will just accept the BU offer if I don't hear from them in the next few days

Sent in my email to accept a fully funded offer from ASU today. I am so incredibly excited! For those on waitlists, don't give up hope! (And also, for those who find themselves in the same position I found myself in last year with acceptances I couldn't afford, don't be afraid of trying again. I'm so happy I did.)

This forum has been pretty helpful, and I just want to wish you all the best of luck! 

Update for Tyler Painting from the dept chair: " ...we're still considering all interviewees as we're trying to put together our fall class. Please be patient with us; I assume that we'll have a better picture of what's going on in a week or two." 

Looks like from the rest of his email that the funding aspect of the admissions process has been delayed and complicated by the pandemic. This will put admission decisions pretty close to the April 15th deadline for folks. ? 

I got a rejection from the only other program I applied to besides Temple, so waiting a couple more weeks won't hurt me too much, and I'm already planning to move to Philadelphia next week, either way. Sorry to the other folks out there who have to juggle this waiting along with other program acceptances!

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below).

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

1 hour ago, Killerdonuts said:

Update for Tyler Painting from the dept chair: " ...we're still considering all interviewees as we're trying to put together our fall class. Please be patient with us; I assume that we'll have a better picture of what's going on in a week or two."

Thank you so much for the update! I was thinking about writing today to ask about when we might hear back. So grateful that the deadline for the other offer I am considering is not until May 1.

HI! I've been away from the board, and pretty much everything for a couple weeks. 

I got SUPER sick and literally thought I was going to die. I thought I had COVID, but my doctor confirmed that I did not. I did have COVID last year, and thought I had it again. Nah, just a gnarly flu that came and went, over and over. One day I was sick, the next felt okay, then sick again, which is weird because almost no one had the flu this year. Anyway, I'm doing well now. :) Hope to get the COVID vaccine in April.

Just wanted to let people know I haven't heard anything from USC, and at this late stage in the game, I really don't expect to. So unless I get some magic acceptance letter from USC, I won't be coming back to the boards after today.

It's important that no matter what, we are artists, and that is everything. I know that getting into the school we want is SUCH a big deal, but don't let it discourage you if you don't. Artists suffer, its part of who we are. I never meet artists who do this to get rich, or even upper middle class. We do this because of an extreme love of humanity, desire to see social justice for all marginalized people in our lifetimes, and because creation is in our BLOOD and muscles and bones.

My father, as an artist, never gave much art advice. He mainly led by example and DOING. As an artist, myself, I think that his best advice, (and he reiterated this often), was "produce produce produce." Dad was also a former United States Marine, and the life advice he took from the Marine Corps that he utilized every day was, "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome," and he also offered this advice often. I found in my life that these two simple sets of life choices have elevated me into situations that I never would have achieved if I had just stood aside and hoped that someone else would make things happen for me, or if I was feeling entitled and selfish.

I wanted to share some sculpture I've got going on right now. I'm working on a 14' foot steel public art sculpture of an eagle and pillar, from the Chicano perspective in art, for installation early this summer. I finally got some of the steel for it a couple days ago. It's been lagging because of COVID and steel distribution, by MONTHS! I was supposed to be done with it by now, actually by last November. But the grant is still alive and still going and I feel lucky to have good backers and art attorney representation.

Fam, you are all wonderful people, and real artists are truly rare. I have seen so much of your art on this board, and can safely say that you all deserve to go to the schools you desire.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

On 3/29/2021 at 11:23 AM, peachy4345 said:

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

I can see that you are passionate about this issue by the way you have spammed this same thing over so many other threads from Teaching to Psychology to SIPA MPA... etc... etc... etc...

You put a lot of people on blast and given out names and personal information, as well as an entire higher education system. Do we have YOUR name and personal info? Mine is right there in my avatar. My name is [redacted -t], and I went to California State University Sacramento. I'm from San Diego Califas. All I know about YOU is that you claim to be a PHD Student at Colombia.

Can you share some personal information about yourself, since you are calling so many other people out by name and giving out their contact information? I feel like that's a fair request.

This is for people who got accepted to Pratt: Did your scholarship offer come in your acceptance letter emailed to you or was it in the letter mailed to you? The email contained no scholarship but I have not received the mailed letter yet. Just wondering!

Painting people: Here's where I'm at, and I would appreciate any advice. Trying to decide between Boston University and VCU at the moment. VCU offered me both years of tuition covered plus a TAship/stipend each year. Boston U offered me 80% scholarship, which means I would pay $5,700 per year attend. Obviously, VCU is the better deal financially. What excites me most about Boston U is the faculty and how well connected they seem to be. Also, moving to a faster-paced, bigger city is appealing. I'm currently based in the Midwest, and Richmond seems real similar to the city I currently live in.

I've spoken with students from each school and I still can't really gauge what the difference is regarding each program. I know VCU was hot back in the early 2000s back when Richard Roth was still there. I can't really tell what the vibe there is now though. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? The VCU deal is hard to ignore, but I saw someone on here turned down all of their fully-funded packages to go to Goldsmith's, so like, money doesn't really matter. I'm so used to being poor that it doesn't matter. Many thanks ya'll!

5 hours ago, peachy4345 said:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below).

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions

Thanks for the update. WIth all of the drama, I am curious how Columbia is holding up in the top ranked MFA programs during the past 5 years. Something has to be cooking there?

Maybe the rankings will change by next round so we could see a huge shift soon.

1 hour ago, XSX said:

Painting people: Here's where I'm at, and I would appreciate any advice. Trying to decide between Boston University and VCU at the moment. VCU offered me both years of tuition covered plus a TAship/stipend each year. Boston U offered me 80% scholarship, which means I would pay $5,700 per year attend. Obviously, VCU is the better deal financially. What excites me most about Boston U is the faculty and how well connected they seem to be. Also, moving to a faster-paced, bigger city is appealing. I'm currently based in the Midwest, and Richmond seems real similar to the city I currently live in.

I've spoken with students from each school and I still can't really gauge what the difference is regarding each program. I know VCU was hot back in the early 2000s back when Richard Roth was still there. I can't really tell what the vibe there is now though. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? The VCU deal is hard to ignore, but I saw someone on here turned down all of their fully-funded packages to go to Goldsmith's, so like, money doesn't really matter. I'm so used to being poor that it doesn't matter. Many thanks ya'll!

I think it's up to you whether you wish to connect with the Boston or the Richmond/Wash/Baltimore art scenes after you graduate... Both have lovely programs! Good luck :)

1 hour ago, San Diego Stone said:

HI! I've been away from the board, and pretty much everything for a couple weeks. 

I got SUPER sick and literally thought I was going to die. I thought I had COVID, but my doctor confirmed that I did not. I did have COVID last year, and thought I had it again. Nah, just a gnarly flu that came and went, over and over. One day I was sick, the next felt okay, then sick again, which is weird because almost no one had the flu this year. Anyway, I'm doing well now. :) Hope to get the COVID vaccine in April.

Just wanted to let people know I haven't heard anything from USC, and at this late stage in the game, I really don't expect to. So unless I get some magic acceptance letter from USC, I won't be coming back to the boards after today.

It's important that no matter what, we are artists, and that is everything. I know that getting into the school we want is SUCH a big deal, but don't let it discourage you if you don't. Artists suffer, its part of who we are. I never meet artists who do this to get rich, or even upper middle class. We do this because of an extreme love of humanity, desire to see social justice for all marginalized people in our lifetimes, and because creation is in our BLOOD and muscles and bones.

My father, as an artist, never gave much art advice. He mainly led by example and DOING. As an artist, myself, I think that his best advice, (and he reiterated this often), was "produce produce produce." Dad was also a former United States Marine, and the life advice he took from the Marine Corps that he utilized every day was, "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome," and he also offered this advice often. I found in my life that these two simple sets of life choices have elevated me into situations that I never would have achieved if I had just stood aside and hoped that someone else would make things happen for me, or if I was feeling entitled and selfish.

I wanted to share some sculpture I've got going on right now. I'm working on a 14' foot steel public art sculpture of an eagle and pillar, from the Chicano perspective in art, for installation early this summer. I finally got some of the steel for it a couple days ago. It's been lagging because of COVID and steel distribution, by MONTHS! I was supposed to be done with it by now, actually by last November. But the grant is still alive and still going and I feel lucky to have good backers and art attorney representation.

Fam, you are all wonderful people, and real artists are truly rare. I have seen so much of your art on this board, and can safely say that you all deserve to go to the schools you desire.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

I am so OVERJOYED to see you back here and my prayers that you are healthy and strong to continue making more work. I appreciate the update.

My only eh... news is that I got featured in a LA media outlet this week and working on hammering out a museum proposal while starting my first paintings ever :)

12 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Thanks for the update. WIth all of the drama, I am curious how Columbia is holding up in the top ranked MFA programs during the past 5 years. Something has to be cooking there?

Maybe the rankings will change by next round so we could see a huge shift soon.

I think the rankings are part of the problem, because CU's sparkly ivy reputation is part of what makes them feel like they can basically do anything to students and get away with it. It's very much a 'thank you, next' kind of vibe--they know that other people will come regardless. Unfortunately, that attitude is what makes CU a hostile experience for many first gen, POC, folks from low-income backgrounds, etc--i.e. the people most likely to be impacted by harassment, discrimination, and the difficulties of living on grad worker wages that aren't appropriate for NYC. 

You also have to think who is doing the ranking--it's not crowd-sourced from students! The article below explains some, but you can see that U.S. News rankings' data is solely from other professors or professionals, aka not students or alums! I think that's a really important distinction. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/how-us-news-calculated-the-rankings#:~:text=The data for the rankings,fall 2019 and early 2020.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, San Diego Stone said:

I can see that you are passionate about this issue by the way you have spammed this same thing over so many other threads from Teaching to Psychology to SIPA MPA... etc... etc... etc...

You put a lot of people on blast and given out names and personal information, as well as an entire higher education system. Do we have YOUR name and personal info? Mine is right there in my avatar. My name is [redacted -t], and I went to California State University Sacramento. I'm from San Diego Califas. All I know about YOU is that you claim to be a PHD Student at Colombia.

Can you share some personal information about yourself, since you are calling so many other people out by name and giving out their contact information? I feel like that's a fair request.

I did indeed post this on several different threads, because I think it's really important that people be aware of what's going on right now at Columbia, especially since it's decision season. I remember being on these threads when applying to grad school, and there are so few comments from people already at institutions--I think it's helpful to know what it's like on the other side. Not sure if you've applied to Columbia's MFA, but I think if you are considering it, you should talk to students in the program (if you haven't). I don't know if they TA or RA (aka work) for the institution, but right now we're fighting for working Master's-level students to be included in the contract and to have health insurance (CU does not want that). Also, just to be clear, the names and contact info I shared are 100% available on the website for anyone to see, and those are the best people to reach out to and share concerns if you are a prospective student. I've seen just how vulnerable grad students can be at these big institutions, and it's important for us to share knowledge, connect, and push for better learning and working conditions.

2 hours ago, artgradstudent49 said:

This is for people who got accepted to Pratt: Did your scholarship offer come in your acceptance letter emailed to you or was it in the letter mailed to you? The email contained no scholarship but I have not received the mailed letter yet. Just wondering!

I received no scholarship as well.  It would come in the acceptance letter if there was any.  What program major are you considering?

15 minutes ago, jack343234 said:

I received no scholarship as well.  It would come in the acceptance letter if there was any.  What program major are you considering?

Interior Design. Did you have any luck with contacting them and getting any money? I am about to do that 

U.S. New Rankings lol are you all 16 years old? Alfred is a top school?? Noooooo. The MFA ship has sailed but really, the only school that makes a difference for an art career is Yale, and only for a select few at that. Columbia, UCLA, SIAC, Bard, Hunter and VCU are helpful but not so much anymore. MICA, RISD and Cranbrook never had good reps for their MFA programs. MFA professors are a circle jerk that's what the rankings represent. The CU labor activist is right, but what they are saying applies to all schools. Go to a school with a strong GA/TA program and strong student union. Make art that rocks and support your student union. I read on here someone who's professor told them to think of the cost as an "investment." Yeah, an investment in your professor's vanity art career. When you are 50 your gig as an art handler will not look pretty. Your professors live in the clouds and theres no room for you up there...

On 3/29/2021 at 5:10 PM, peachy4345 said:

Hi [ ], my name is #### and I'm in art history.

Hi ####. Art History is awesome. When I was in community college I took so many Art History classes that I accidentally earned an Associates Degree for it. My mother is an Art Historian, it's practically all we discuss. 

I totally see your point of view, and trust me, you're preaching to the choir with me, my friend. I've worked union with the IATSE Union since 2004, and both of my parents were labor organizers for the UFW and Registered Nurses, grandfather was an Ironworker. So I'm with you.

It just doesn't sit right with me that you are anonymous and taking a stand. If someone takes a stand, everyone should know who they are, otherwise you're just another avatar in a sea of opinions on the interwebz. And that bugs me out because as an artist, it's my responsibility to be a public figure when I am making revolutionary art. If not, I'm just another tired Banksy clone. People need real people. Where would Anarchism be without the real Emma Goldman or Peter Kropotkin?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating. In fact, I'm all about you and what you are sharing. It's just better if we let people know exactly who we are. It's easier to rally around a person and a cause than it is to care about a nameless avatars opinion. You feel me Ashley?

You do you, tho.

I'm did not apply to Columbia. I only applied to the one university I thought would work for me.

Union till the day I die. Good luck with your campaign! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs5_gB582IM