MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I wasn't invited for an interview so I don't think I'll hold my breath. It is interesting though that I don't have a rejection in hand yet. They have a great printmaker/installation artist there I'd love to work with- Juana Valdez. And Young Min Moon is a super intelligent artist (Guggenheim awardee too) who nevertheless comes off as humble. If it's still up when you get to Amherst, go see the Alison Saar exhibit. I'm deciding between Maine College of Art and Lesley University by the looks of it- 2 happy choices for me but not funded like Amherst is. 

On 3/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, CMCM said:

That's a really great question that I've been asking myself this whole time. 
I've also applied to ArtCenter in Pasadena, and EKA in Estonia and am awaiting their decision. 
What I've seen with Otis is their student work is conceptually strong, and there seems to be a strong connection with industry studios in LA, they also have some international offerings which is great. 

However if you know anything about Otis let me know!!! 

I think personally for that matter of debt in attending SVA and the quality of life I may have paying off that debt is not worth it for a MFA in Design, it's my top pick and it hurts a-lot to say but I simply cannot afford that. As a $150k in debt plus interest over time may be a $200k and more.  :( just wish the school was more supportive. 

Did you apply for graphic design or fine arts? I was late in the game to apply to EKA and regret it...? their program feels very strong and experimental. I am really interested in Otis as well. I totally feel you on the debt issue...

11 hours ago, rororiroor said:

was this for Columbia University? How did you hear and when?

Yes. Phone call earlier in the week and official letter updated on portal yesterday

Edited by pp2345

5 hours ago, guitarhero said:

Did you apply for graphic design or fine arts? I was late in the game to apply to EKA and regret it...? their program feels very strong and experimental. I am really interested in Otis as well. I totally feel you on the debt issue...

Hey! 
I applied for Graphic Design, I saw you posted prior if anyone else got accepted to Otis for graphic design. 
I got accepted to Otis! 
EKA seems like a really great program especially the semester abroad in Berlin. I had an interview on the 19th of March and am still awaiting to hear their response. They mentioned it is a fairly new program so I'm curious on how it would stand with my other schools. 

I've been accepted to ArtCenter, SVA, and Otis and am awaiting from EKA. 
Regarding SVA - I've heard some mixed responses regarding their program and school administration specifically the design program. 

Let me know if you have questions! 

18 hours ago, Deborah in Mass said:

I wasn't invited for an interview so I don't think I'll hold my breath. It is interesting though that I don't have a rejection in hand yet. They have a great printmaker/installation artist there I'd love to work with- Juana Valdez. And Young Min Moon is a super intelligent artist (Guggenheim awardee too) who nevertheless comes off as humble. If it's still up when you get to Amherst, go see the Alison Saar exhibit. I'm deciding between Maine College of Art and Lesley University by the looks of it- 2 happy choices for me but not funded like Amherst is. 

I went to Lesley for undergrad! The new facilities are beautiful. 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, maydaypu said:

I did. Also got rejected. Email came in at 1:00am central time. I'm glad I didn't notice it until this morning lol.

It was really strange of them to wait so long and send out emails so late at night. I did happen to check mine as I was about to go to bed lol. Sorry to hear you got the same result- I hope you have some good offers as well!

4 hours ago, CMCM said:

Hey! 
I applied for Graphic Design, I saw you posted prior if anyone else got accepted to Otis for graphic design. 
I got accepted to Otis! 
EKA seems like a really great program especially the semester abroad in Berlin. I had an interview on the 19th of March and am still awaiting to hear their response. They mentioned it is a fairly new program so I'm curious on how it would stand with my other schools. 

I've been accepted to ArtCenter, SVA, and Otis and am awaiting from EKA. 
Regarding SVA - I've heard some mixed responses regarding their program and school administration specifically the design program. 

Let me know if you have questions! 

Congrats on getting into Otis! ? hope all goes well with EKA! 

3 hours ago, jack343234 said:

Anyone else here considering Pratt?  Decisions came out a couple days ago.

I’m considering Pratt. I was accepted there and Parsons. Neither place is open for campus visits at the moment so I’m having the trouble choosing. I’m also still waiting to hear from Columbia. How are you making your decision?

On 3/25/2021 at 8:07 PM, pp2345 said:

Official decisions were sent out for Columbia! Would be nice to connect with potential incoming people! 

What program did you apply to there? I’m still waiting to hear from them. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:59 PM, dramallama_07 said:

Same. Well almost. I'm trying to decide between Parsons and SVA. And a little bit of Mount Royal too. I'm personally leaning more towards Parsons and SVA since they've offered better scholarships and also the fact that they're in NYC. While MICA is a better ranked college, I'd rather be closer to the action in NYC. But that's just me. People do MFA for different reasons. What's your reason?

I’d love to know which one you pick. I’m trying to decide between parsons and Pratt right now. Parsons is very welcoming.