MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

2 hours ago, Picnic.Lunch said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia post-interview?

I interviewed with the painting department 10 days ago and have not heard anything. I was told by a friend who attended the Columbia MFA previously that those accepted usually here sooner, and those waitlisted or rejected here after the initial acceptances go out. 

Any info from any department is appreciated as I was told that all departments usually notify around the same time despite the staggered interview schedule. 

Thanks! 

I'm in the same boat! I think sculpture interviews were last week so if they do notify everyone around the same time then I wouldn't be as worried since it has not been that long since the last few interviews.

The wait is tough!! Goodluck to you! 

So SVA luckily bumped my offer and now they're covering 50% of the tuition. Whereas Parsons is covering 75%. So in effect, Parsons tuition is now 25k for the whole course whereas SVA is 50k for the course.

I absolutely want to go to SVA but is the extra 25k worth it? Or should I just go to Parsons which I'm not *that* excited about but at least I'll be debt-free?

P.S: This is Fine Arts course btw. If anyone knows anything about these programs, do let me know. I've also been accepted into MICA Mount Royal, Rinehart, UAL and Glasgow School of Art. But I'm currently focusing on Parsons and Sva only. If anyone thinks that's a terrible idea and I'm missing out on the rest of the colleges, do let me know since I have no idea of these schools being an international student

2 hours ago, TheePainter said:

Hi all! I got into Parson's Fine Arts, SAIC Painting, UPenn, and MICA Mount Royal. Now trying to figure out which is the best fit. I've decided against UPenn and now trying to decide between Parsons and MICA. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Same. Well almost. I'm trying to decide between Parsons and SVA. And a little bit of Mount Royal too. I'm personally leaning more towards Parsons and SVA since they've offered better scholarships and also the fact that they're in NYC. While MICA is a better ranked college, I'd rather be closer to the action in NYC. But that's just me. People do MFA for different reasons. What's your reason?

15 hours ago, theundoing said:

my friend is a current student and is somewhat upset because photo only has 6 faculty (including cochairs) this year and 50% of the photo faculty are online only. but hopefully they passed on that info in the acceptance. and congrats on getting in! I'm on the bard photo waitlist as well. I feel like even if it is bumpy this summer since it is a 3 year program it will likely smooth out.

yes thank you for sharing this information with us. It seems like the first summer intensive session could be less intense with a « festival » program condensed around a smaller faculty body overall the disciplines. Depending on who or what you are looking for, it can suit well your needs...

1 hour ago, okok said:

yes thank you for sharing this information with us. It seems like the first summer intensive session could be less intense with a « festival » program condensed around a smaller faculty body overall the disciplines. Depending on who or what you are looking for, it can suit well your needs...

yeah idk what that two week initiative is. My friend says students and faculty are really pissed about it bc typically the co chairs choose faculty not the president of the college. But all in all I think first years will do okay bc they still get two years in the program after this weird summer. I was accepted to Hunter so even if I do get off the waitlist I would still have a choice to make. 

22 hours ago, eiffel65 said:

Different school, but I asked IIT ID for more time to decide and they were super flexible with me-- moved the deadline from Mar 5 to Mar 30th. No harm in asking -- I emphasized how much I liked the school but wanted to make a fully educated decision by hearing from everywhere I applied to.

thats weird the deadline to submit my fee is the 15th, not the 1st

I’m coming to the near end of my negotiating spree, and I think I’m going to have to turn down all schools offers unless I get significantly more aid. I feel kinda embarrassed that even with some some sort of merit scholarships received at all my offers, it’s just too much to take on debt wise.

Anyway else feel this way?

fingers crossed for a miracle on this one

29 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I’m coming to the near end of my negotiating spree, and I think I’m going to have to turn down all schools offers unless I get significantly more aid. I feel kinda embarrassed that even with some some sort of merit scholarships received at all my offers, it’s just too much to take on debt wise.

Feel you on this. The best financial offer I received was from the school I least want to attend and my first choice which was supposed to be fully funded didn't offer me anything because of Covid budget restrictions. Such a tough decision.

2 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I am in the same boat with you. 
as an international individual, I really detest this part of educational system in USA - surely, education as well as healthcare should be free. 

35 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Hi. I would love to speak with a Parsons MFA Fine Arts alumni or an SVA MFA Fine arts alumni. Does anyone here know some people from there? And can you connect me to them?

My close friend is a SVA BFA alumni. I have taken enough classes at SVA (and I plan to take more there) so I know what a graduate level critique could be like.

So I know a nice chunk of SVA professors there... I can try to find a MFA graduate there for you.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, lizavetar96 said:

Question. 

SVA wants everyone either to accept or reject the offer by the 1st of April. I am still waiting on some schools and I need time until the 15th of April to decide. Do you think if I ask they can hold off one spot for me and wait for my decision on the 15th? 

did anyone have experience asking a certain school to wait? I feel like they will immediately understand that they are not much top priority school just by the nature or my request and will not allow me to hold off until the 15th...

dilemma. 

Hey, not sure if you've already made a move on this, but I would absolutely email SVA to ask if it would be possible to extend the commitment deadline. I think that's normal and reasonable, and the most they can do is say no. I was able to easily extend the deadline for SAIC from April 1st to April 15th with a single email. I think all schools understand that finances are a huge part of the decision, most students don't apply to only one program, and many programs won't send offers before these early deadlines. That said, if you DO make a decision about their program before the deadline, you should let them know as soon as possible so they can offer your spot to another student.

9 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

My close friend is a SVA BFA alumni. I have taken enough classes at SVA (and I plan to take more there) so I know what a graduate level critique could be like.

So I know a nice chunk of SVA professors there... I can try to find a MFA graduate there for you.

PERFECT! Let me know if you find someone

Just got into the Royal College of Art Contemporary Art Practice program, which seems really cool, but unfortunately has what looks like zero financial aid to offer.

Anyone know anything about this program or heard anything? It's basically 80k total which seems way beyond what I want to take out loans for, especially because I have a funded/stipended offer in the US. That said it feels like the perennial question of funding vs notoriety ..... 

33 minutes ago, salad said:

Just got into the Royal College of Art Contemporary Art Practice program, which seems really cool, but unfortunately has what looks like zero financial aid to offer.

Anyone know anything about this program or heard anything? It's basically 80k total which seems way beyond what I want to take out loans for, especially because I have a funded/stipended offer in the US. That said it feels like the perennial question of funding vs notoriety ..... 

Oh. Do you know if the other RCA invitations have gone out? (Painting and Sculpture?)