MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

16 hours ago, theundoing said:

Interesting, let me know how it goes?  I think if you use opensea it should be free https://opensea.io/faq but I am just starting to look into it. You should not have to transfer any money into the wallet in order to use it for your NFT

Will do and applied for a few NFT sites. Still I have major reservations over the ecological waste that NFT development causes.

7 hours ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Yes my letter said waitlisted, too. And that it’s unranked, so they choose candidates based on creating a complementary class.

From what I understand, Bard photo department will have a class of 3. That said, some of the deferrals from last year may pull out, their commit deadline is 22nd. Commit deadline for those admitted this year firs-round is 23rd. So if you are waitlisted, you have a pretty okay chance I think. 

Not sure what undoing means by hybrid instruction exactly...Bard said they expect instruction to be in-person but students can choose if they want to be remote. Sounds like they have a good plan. 

Is that at Bard or ICP-Bard for the photography program? Thanks :)

On 3/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, youko said:

Has anybody required scholarship from Calarts?

I got accepted to the graphic design program, but there no mention of funding. Do I wait to hear more about funding or reach out?

9 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Will do and applied for a few NFT sites. Still I have major reservations over the ecological waste that NFT development causes.

completely agree. I have been reading conflicting things about the issue. I read a peer reviewed study that discussed Bitcoin as much more energy intensive than ethereum .

Hey guys. Just wanted to share that I’ve been admitted into RISD sculpture and MIT’s ACT program if you’re waiting to hear from those. 

Goldsmiths is giving acceptances on a rolling basis with a 1 month reply period. Out of UK universities, looks like they really prioritize offering ample face time with your tutor.

2 hours ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Hey guys. Just wanted to share that I’ve been admitted into RISD sculpture and MIT’s ACT program if you’re waiting to hear from those. 

Goldsmiths is giving acceptances on a rolling basis with a 1 month reply period. Out of UK universities, looks like they really prioritize offering ample face time with your tutor.

I am curious what kind of work did you submit to MIT’s ACT program....?and how is the financial aid...I was accepted to UPenn but their financial aid is horrible...I am thinking to apply for ACT next year??

9 hours ago, berries said:

Anything from Tyler painting yet? I saw on this thread that some people from other departments got their results. But I didn't receive anything yet

I haven't heard anything yet either. Did you get invited to the virtual Artist Talk event with Cecilia Vicuna this evening? I'm planning to attend. I hope the invite was a good sign, but I'm still anxiously waiting.

5 hours ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

That's amazing to hear! Any way are you leaning? Also if you don't mind what does the funding look like? Asking as someone applying next year haha.

2 hours ago, Killerdonuts said:

I haven't heard anything yet either. Did you get invited to the virtual Artist Talk event with Cecilia Vicuna this evening? I'm planning to attend. I hope the invite was a good sign, but I'm still anxiously waiting.

Nah I didn't get it. I am assuming rejection from Tyler because I did really bad at the interview. I hope you hear the good news soon!

18 minutes ago, berries said:

Nah I didn't get it. I am assuming rejection from Tyler because I did really bad at the interview. I hope you hear the good news soon!

oh no! Let's hope it was just an oversight! ? I didn't feel super confident about my interview either.

1 hour ago, cjfa said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA DMA? I figure it's done at this point but I'm surprised I've still gotten no official word at all

Maybe it would be a good idea to call? Or email? They seem to take very long to reply, but it’s worth a shot. I think it would be a good idea to I nclude your application number in the email. I quickly looked it up, their graduate advisor for DMA is: 

Helen Tran 
Undergraduate & Graduate Student Advisor 
helen.tran@arts.ucla.edu
(310) 267-4907

They have sent out rejections and acceptances for painting, and I would guess that for photo, interdisciplinary studio, new genres, Sculpture and ceramics.

Hey, PHOTO people

did any of you get results from Parsons or University of Washington? 

also, the ones who got accepted to SVA: have you already gotten scholarship offers? (Not fafsa, but directly from SVA)

Edited by lizavetar96

21 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

Maybe it would be a good idea to call? Or email? They seem to take very long to reply, but it’s worth a shot. I think it would be a good idea to I nclude your application number in the email. I quickly looked it up, their graduate advisor for DMA is: 

Helen Tran 
Undergraduate & Graduate Student Advisor 
helen.tran@arts.ucla.edu
(310) 267-4907

They have sent out rejections and acceptances for painting, and I would guess that for photo, interdisciplinary studio, new genres, Sculpture and ceramics.

Thanks! That's good advice. I'll send them an email today

On 3/11/2021 at 6:10 PM, kwemo said:

So, here's the final tally.

George Washington U (Fine Arts) - Rejected w/ no interview

U of Kansas (Expanded Media) - Rejected w/ no interview

U of W Milwaukee (Cinematic Arts) - Rejected w/ no interview

RISD (Digital + Media) - Rejected w/ no interview

U of M Ann Arbor (Art) - Rejected w/ no interview (though kind words followed)

U of W Madison (4-D Video & Performance) - Rejected after interview

MCAD (Visual Studies) - Accepted(!) w/ no interview (2/3rd tuition covered w/ merit scholarship)

VCU (Kinetic Imaging) - No word so assumed rejection

Needless to say, I'm extremely grateful but a little disheartened. On one hand, as a self taught artist who studied art history and theory in their own unguided way, its fulfilling to take such a large step to what I believe to be my path and to be going to a school (MCAD) that I feel is an excellent fit for me. On the other hand, I'd be lying if I said this was a perfect situation. I'd like more of a choice and despite my feelings about the school, it was my only acceptance and it seems the general consensus in the world I don't know much about is that it's not the most competitive program.

But with all this being said, I'm very excited to be going to MCAD. It's been fun and stress-relieving to have this forum as support and information. Thank you to everyone posting their thoughts, feelings, words of wisdom, and their success! I'm happy for all of you and those who posted their work, it's all very exciting and you're super talented.

Here's my website and Instagram. I'd love to keep up with any of you and your work so if you post your Instagram around in the forum I'll be sure to give you a follow.

ericdbutler.com

@ericedanielbutler

Congratulations on your acceptance to MCAD! I hear you on the emotions of the process, but you should feel good about having found a program that responds so strongly to your work (great scholarship!). Funding like that really portends well for the relationships you'll have with faculty! I feel like some of these more "competitive" programs offer less support to their students.

Can I ask when and how you heard back from Milwaukee? I also applied to their Cinematic Arts program but haven't heard anything yet (although I saw many hits on my portfolio from them).

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, PHOTO people

did any of you get results from Parsons or University of Washington? 

also, the ones who got accepted to SVA: have you already gotten scholarship offers? (Not fafsa, but directly from SVA)

Just got a scholarship increment from SVA. It was originally 8k and now its 32k. Definitely attending SVA now that its affordable. Anyone else joining SVA here??

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

Just got a scholarship increment from SVA. It was originally 8k and now its 32k. Definitely attending SVA now that its affordable. Anyone else joining SVA here??

Oh wow!! Congrats! That is really fantastic! Are you in fine arts or photo? And did you get a merit scholarship or is that some other kind of aid?