MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

52 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Just got a scholarship letter from SVA. But its way too low than what I expected or hoped. Tbh, at the rate of 4k/year, I'd never be able to afford the school. Does anyone know how I can ask them for more aid?

Hey hey, what department you are in?

and I am so sorry you are in. 

4 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Fine Arts

Sorry, I did not mean “sorry you are in SVA”, but “sorry about the financial aid”. It really sucks. Did you get any other acceptances? You can leverage those and  ask SVA for more aid?

Just now, lizavetar96 said:

Sorry, I did not mean “sorry you are in SVA”, but “sorry about the financial aid”. It really sucks. Did you get any other acceptances? You can leverage those and  ask SVA for more aid?

I have 2 from MICA (mount Royal and Rinehart) with better scholarships. I also have an offer from Glasgow School of Art but without scholarship. I want to leverage the MICA scholarships to SVA but I don't wanna sound rude to them

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

I have 2 from MICA (mount Royal and Rinehart) with better scholarships. I also have an offer from Glasgow School of Art but without scholarship. I want to leverage the MICA scholarships to SVA but I don't wanna sound rude to them

This is not rude at all. (I got recommend to do such leveraging by a Parsons professor and they said it is very common, and they heavily recommended it). 

Just now, lizavetar96 said:

This is not rude at all. (I got recommend to do such leveraging by a Parsons professor and they said it is very common, and they heavily recommended it). 

Well I'll try. Fingers crossed. I'm still a little skeptical since SVA is a for-profit school so I doubt their financial packages will be good. Nevertheless I'll try my best

2 hours ago, dramallama_07 said:

Just got a scholarship letter from SVA. But its way too low than what I expected or hoped. Tbh, at the rate of 4k/year, I'd never be able to afford the school. Does anyone know how I can ask them for more aid?

Definitely ask for more (and this from a guy who goes to SVA for their classes) :D. In fact, I think that if you ask they won't have any issues giving you more :D

12 minutes ago, 123123435 said:

Waitlisted as well. This hurts. I was rejected once before and felt so close.  Gut-wrenching, really

I just got straight rejected lol. On their website it says interviewees who don’t get accepted just get waitlisted.... guess I didn’t even make it in the upper half of the bottom half of interviewees lol

3 hours ago, 123123435 said:

Definitely was told the 12 in the interview. But the website says 12-15? Missed that. Totally possible they're delaying because of this being such a confusing administrative situation

Literally creating an account on here just to join the freakout awaiting decisions from Bard and Columbia. Applied to both schools' MFA in Writing programs with a concentration in poetry. I haven't heard anything to date and the application portal doesn't seem to have any info as of yet... I saw on Bard's website that interviews were conducted March 6th and decision info comes out starting today, but I haven't been contacted at all. 

Does anyone have any ideas if not being called for an interview means outright rejection (for Bard, that is- Columbia seems to be even more vague about decision dates...) ? I've got a massive pit in my stomach thinking that I've already been rejected. 

13 minutes ago, mesab said:

Literally creating an account on here just to join the freakout awaiting decisions from Bard and Columbia. Applied to both schools' MFA in Writing programs with a concentration in poetry. I haven't heard anything to date and the application portal doesn't seem to have any info as of yet... I saw on Bard's website that interviews were conducted March 6th and decision info comes out starting today, but I haven't been contacted at all. 

Does anyone have any ideas if not being called for an interview means outright rejection (for Bard, that is- Columbia seems to be even more vague about decision dates...) ? I've got a massive pit in my stomach thinking that I've already been rejected. 

Cant speak for Columbia, but ya the bard interviews were last week

2 minutes ago, beepbopboop said:

Cant speak for Columbia, but ya the bard interviews were last week

I'm assuming no interview means I should be expecting a rejection letter.. I've been accepted to a different MFA program and offered some great scholarship funding, but I really would like to hear back from Bard and Columbia before making any decisions. I don't know how hopeful I should be right about now, lmao....

18 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

Is it difficult to get out of the waitlist at Bard?

From hearing other people’s experiences both on and off this forum, it’s not uncommon to get admitted off the waitlist! I’d imagine it’s even more likely for programs like those at Bard that are uniquely structured— I’m sure a lot of admitted folks might opt to attend a different school they’re accepted to based solely on the structure of Bard’s grad curriculum.

4 hours ago, PlzTakeME said:

Has anyone interviewed at Columbia for Painting and Drawing? My interview is tomorrow and I would love to know about your experience and who you interviewed with

Wait has Columbia sent out interview invites? I haven't heard anything yet and the portal hasn't been updated. 

I am wondering if people have thoughts... heard back about financial aid for the program I want to attend and received a package that looks like this:

Tuition (45k/yr) - Covered (need based scholarship)

Living expenses (18k/ur) Unit loan (recommended a federal subsidized loan)

It’s a three-year program which amounts to 54k in debt. It seems like a good scholarship but I am still in debt from undergrad. Are schools ever known to include living expenses in their need-based scholarships, or is this probably the most generous they’ll be? Should I ask for more? I don’t have much leverage...it was the only school I applied to.

Thanks for your thoughts!

4 hours ago, TokenToken said:

I am wondering if people have thoughts... heard back about financial aid for the program I want to attend and received a package that looks like this:

Tuition (45k/yr) - Covered (need based scholarship)

Living expenses (18k/ur) Unit loan (recommended a federal subsidized loan)

It’s a three-year program which amounts to 54k in debt. It seems like a good scholarship but I am still in debt from undergrad. Are schools ever known to include living expenses in their need-based scholarships, or is this probably the most generous they’ll be? Should I ask for more? I don’t have much leverage...it was the only school I applied to.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Some schools offer a stipend, usually in exchange for teaching/TA-ing/other departmental work; the school would probably advertise this on their website and promotional materials if they did stipends. 

On 3/11/2021 at 8:46 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

I set up a NFT account today so I can create the work. I will see how it functions because I heard the NFT creation isn't free but as a student I can play around the medium.

Interesting, let me know how it goes?  I think if you use opensea it should be free https://opensea.io/faq but I am just starting to look into it. You should not have to transfer any money into the wallet in order to use it for your NFT

Edited by theundoing

6 hours ago, kiddroy said:

Wait has Columbia sent out interview invites? I haven't heard anything yet and the portal hasn't been updated. 

Yes; Painting interview were/are scheduled for 12th and 13th of march