MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Congratulations! I interview with Goldsmiths in the coming days. The school seems like an exciting place. Not sure who has come out of the program since the YBAs, though (well, and Forensic Architecture). My friend who recently got his PhD there told me that he recommends the school, but that an American university will give you "more value for what you pay for."

Not sure if these links came up in your research. Check it out:

Article from Studio Museum Harlem curator Legacy Russel about her experience at Goldsmiths:

https://www.artandeducation.net/schoolwatch/58220/beyond-the-critique-goldsmiths-college

BBC documentary about the school (fun to watch for any contemporary in general)

Edited by everyonelikesbubbles

On 3/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, jack343234 said:

Anyone hear anything from NYU MFA fine art?

Bump! Anyone?

It feels really late to me. But since I've heard no NYU interview chatter on this forum I'm still really hoping.
At the same time, my interview last year took place on March 5 (I was waitlisted).

Are there any other schools that people are still waiting for ANY indication of activity?

On 3/3/2021 at 7:24 PM, HB9bird said:

I’m waiting to hear about funding for VCU Crafts. Monday before last, I was told via email they were surprised the funding pkg wasn’t available. They thought that might mean good news in terms of a larger amount.  

I don’t have my notes in front of me from my phone conversation with them about 3 weeks ago, but I believe the stipend was around $1000/ mth. I can look at my notes tomorrow. 

I was told that while tuition was covered the first year, fees were not. And that’s a good bit of money. He made a point to say that.

The second year funding, historically, wasn’t guaranteed but people did typically get some. He seemed to think / hope that the pandemic might work in our favor of getting more money, but he wasn’t sure. He kept saying that things could be different this time around.

First year was a graduate assistantship as a TA with tuition covered. Summer was teaching a class—teacher of note (idk if this was guaranteed). Second year was an assistantship too of some sort...I didn’t ask what stipend accompanied that.

Again, this isn’t for sculpture. And my notes aren’t in front of me, so I’m relying on my memory here which is getting increasingly murky as this process wears on! 

Congrats!! :)

Thank you I appreciate it! I think I just need to wait... Based in everything I read and what people said I'm hoping they will have some sort of assistantship with 15-20 hours and cover tuition for the first year but who knows about the rest. 

I will share what my offers at Alfred and UT Austin are after I make my decision if anyone is interested. 

26 minutes ago, tdrae said:

Bump! Anyone?

It feels really late to me. But since I've heard no NYU interview chatter on this forum I'm still really hoping.
At the same time, my interview last year took place on March 5 (I was waitlisted).

Are there any other schools that people are still waiting for ANY indication of activity?

I just received an interview invite email this morning for NYU

3 minutes ago, incoming first year mfa said:

I just received an interview invite email this morning for NYU

Thats awesome! I really appreciate the update.

I think the void is more uncomfortable than rejection haha

Edited by tdrae

5 minutes ago, TokenToken said:

Right...I think it was possibly that the decisions were made today, not necessarily that we would be informed today. My bad for being vague

There’s still a chance we will know within the next couple of hours... ?? otherwise maybe tomorrow morning, and if we don’t know tomorrow morning, then I guess we will know on Monday(?)??‍♀️Notifications of interviews were out on a Saturday morning. 

I don't know if I can post some good non-mfa related news here, but several of my photographs (that were part of my MFA Portfolio submission) are a part of a VR showcase for Blink Berlin gallery. 

If you are interested here is a link to check it out online (my stuff is under my name Elizabeth Rakhilkina, 4 photographs overall) https://blinkberlin.com/vrg/

also, I remember that SocialKonstruct was interested to see my work and I finally updated my portfolio section on my website, here is the link to my practice. all my serious stuff is in b&w https://erakhilkina.squarespace.com/photography#/black-white

25 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

Waitlisted at Yale ?

I did get into UCLA tho. but idk if I am gonna be able to go because I am having issues with my residency :( ahhh... 

Congrats on UCLA! And maybe you will move off the waitlist into the cohort at Yale. I know someone at Columbia who got in that way. Did you happen to go to highschool in California? CA has a weird residency law that you qualify as a resident if you attended highschool there....regardless of where you currently live. 

Edited by theundoing