2021 Business PhD Applicants

ErcW

17 minutes ago, SaeyunKim said:

Hey guys, anybody hear back from UNC, Wharton, INSEAD, MIT, or Northwestern? Applying for Management/Strategy 

hey, also applied to UNC & MIT but haven't heard anything - haven't seen much from anyone from these schools for any specialization yet either 

29 minutes ago, MegPhD said:

Has anyone heard from WashU (Olin) yet? Applied to OB with support for candidacy from POI.

I have not, other than a general notice (I think sent to all applicants) that applications were being reviewed and faculty will contact top applicants late January through mid-February. 

12 hours ago, la_paperbag said:

To the folks who've posted on the results page about interviews from Kellogg: congratulations! Do you know if they're done sending out calls? Also what track did you apply for - micro/macro?

I was wondering the same thing as well. 

Edited by LETSGOPHD

Hi guys, I've heard from Upenn Wharton, NYU Stern and ASU W.P. Carey this week. All Management/OB programs. For ASU though, I'm being interviewed by a prof who's not my POI. Does anyone have a thought on why this is the case? And what would he ask me in terms of research interests? I don't see a lot of overlap in his research and mine.

1 hour ago, YCJ said:

Hi guys, I've heard from Upenn Wharton, NYU Stern and ASU W.P. Carey this week. All Management/OB programs. For ASU though, I'm being interviewed by a prof who's not my POI. Does anyone have a thought on why this is the case? And what would he ask me in terms of research interests? I don't see a lot of overlap in his research and mine.

Applying to Management/Strategy here. I've had this happen to me twice during interviews already where the interviewer is not my POI or even related to my field of interest. It could very well just be the case that the interviewer is on the PhD Admissions Coordination Team and your POI isn't, or that they don't see it necessary to bother your POI in order to assess your ability as a future researcher (which is what they care about at the end of the day). I would still suggest to try to understand the interviewers field of research (i.e. past publications) and if you can have a good academic discussion about an area that is not your own, that is a great sign. 

For Wharton did you apply for Management as well? I heard back from NYU this week but not from Wharton so wanted to check. 

1 hour ago, SaeyunKim said:

Applying to Management/Strategy here. I've had this happen to me twice during interviews already where the interviewer is not my POI or even related to my field of interest. It could very well just be the case that the interviewer is on the PhD Admissions Coordination Team and your POI isn't, or that they don't see it necessary to bother your POI in order to assess your ability as a future researcher (which is what they care about at the end of the day). I would still suggest to try to understand the interviewers field of research (i.e. past publications) and if you can have a good academic discussion about an area that is not your own, that is a great sign. 

For Wharton did you apply for Management as well? I heard back from NYU this week but not from Wharton so wanted to check. 

Hey, thanks for sharing that! I skimmed through a couple of papers of the interviewer but couldn't make a clear connection to my research interests. I have a few questions though... Do you think it'd be appropriate to ask those questions at the end? 

Yes, I applied for Management for Wharton as well!

1 hour ago, YCJ said:

Hey, thanks for sharing that! I skimmed through a couple of papers of the interviewer but couldn't make a clear connection to my research interests. I have a few questions though... Do you think it'd be appropriate to ask those questions at the end? 

Yes, I applied for Management for Wharton as well!

Congrats on wharton! Are you micro or macro? 

55 minutes ago, Park gogogo said:

Anyone got an offer or conducted an interview with carlson, u of michigan, mich state, georgia, and rotman?

I interviewed at UMich last week and have a Rotman interview scheduled for next week (management)

1 hour ago, Park gogogo said:

Anyone got an offer or conducted an interview with carlson, u of michigan, mich state, georgia, and rotman?

I have an interview with U of Michigan on wednesday - I applied to the technology & operations group

Has anyone had interviews with Wharton or NYU Stern yet??? Just want to know what they are like. From the emails from Wharton, I've got the feeling that they'll be doing maybe two rounds of interviews with 2-3 professors at a time. Whereas NYU scheduled two one-on-one interviews.

I wonder how the dynamics will be different. Any thoughts?

Already so nervous :S