2021 Business PhD Applicants

ErcW

On 1/28/2021 at 5:38 AM, FinanceMan said:

Good luck to everyone this cycle! I had never really considered pursuing a PhD until recently so in addition to my own research that I am doing on various programs, I was curious if anyone could give advice? I will finish my MS in Quantitative Management from Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business in May 2022. I figure I may apply this upcoming cycle or take a year in between.

Again, good luck to you all! Look forward to hearing of the various acceptances!

@FinanceMan How do you like Fuqua? I would love to know what it is like to be a student there.

4 hours ago, IWannaBeAPhD said:

@FinanceMan How do you like Fuqua? I would love to know what it is like to be a student there.

@IWannaBeAPhD Being a student at Fuqua is a phenomenal experience. I would not have picked a different business school to pursue a graduate business degree just due to the perfect fit. Fuqua is full of intellectual curious individuals, obviously, but Team Fuqua is what really makes this place shine. I know a lot of people who think it is a marketing slogan but once you begin your Fuqua Journey, you come to realize how real it is. Everyone from the faculty and staff to you fellow classmates to others in different programs want to see you succeed in whatever your passion is in and will do whatever they can do to help you achieve that. It truly is a phenomenal place.

I've got an email today from UNC asking my current status (other admission offers) and interest in their PhD program. It also mentioned they will start reviewing the applications next week. Is this just announcement for all applicants or personal contact?

I applied to PhD in Operations Management.

Edited by jesnoe

Just got my first acceptance!! Yale SOM marketing, behavioral track -- email came this morning from one of the profs on the admissions committee.  It's so validating to have my efforts recognized by such a great school, and I feel quite honored and lucky.

That said, I'm surprised they didn't interview candidates after asking the short list to critique an old psychology paper a couple weeks back. Of all the schools I applied to, Yale is the program I've done the least research on, so I'll depend on the upcoming open-house days to learn more about the team in New Haven before making a decision.

Best of luck to all as we continue to interviews and hear decisions!  I've really appreciated the support + good vibes from this thread, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

5 hours ago, jesnoe said:

I've got an email today from UNC asking my current status (other admission offers) and interest in their PhD program. It also mentioned they will start reviewing the applications next week. Is this just announcement for all applicants or personal contact?

I applied to PhD in Operations Management.

I got this too, I think they sent it to everyone who applied.

23 hours ago, GREBlaster9000 said:

Just got my first acceptance!! Yale SOM marketing, behavioral track -- email came this morning from one of the profs on the admissions committee.  It's so validating to have my efforts recognized by such a great school, and I feel quite honored and lucky.

That said, I'm surprised they didn't interview candidates after asking the short list to critique an old psychology paper a couple weeks back. Of all the schools I applied to, Yale is the program I've done the least research on, so I'll depend on the upcoming open-house days to learn more about the team in New Haven before making a decision.

Best of luck to all as we continue to interviews and hear decisions!  I've really appreciated the support + good vibes from this thread, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

Congrats friend!! I'm nervously waiting on CB results too- I've interviewed with a few schools but haven't received any offers yet, so I'm anxiously checking gradcafe and my emails every 5 mins lol

1 hour ago, ErcW said:

Congrats friend!! I'm nervously waiting on CB results too- I've interviewed with a few schools but haven't received any offers yet, so I'm anxiously checking gradcafe and my emails every 5 mins lol

Good luck! Where have you interviewed? I also haven't heard from Penn but I didn't apply to the others you are waiting for.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, Business_PHD21 said:

Any idea how many Columbia Businesses - Management is interviewing? Mine is on Wednesday with 2 PIs of interest. Thanks! :)

+1 for this question.  I just interviewed with Columbia yesterday with 3 faculty and they didn't say anything abt number of slots. 

28 minutes ago, readrepeat said:

+1 for this question.  I just interviewed with Columbia yesterday with 3 faculty and they didn't say anything abt number of slots. 

Also interviewed with 3 faculty yesterday. Didn't hear anything about the number of offers. They did say expect to hear back within 1 week. 

2 hours ago, chen48y said:

Also interviewed with 3 faculty yesterday. Didn't hear anything about the number of offers. They did say expect to hear back within 1 week. 

I interviewed with faculty last Friday and this week on Monday and today (total of 5 faculty members and 4 interviews). I also didn't hear anything about the number of slots or folks shortlisted. A lot of decisions should be out over these next two weeks. :)

1 hour ago, PhD21 said:

I interviewed with faculty last Friday and this week on Monday and today (total of 5 faculty members and 4 interviews). I also didn't hear anything about the number of slots or folks shortlisted. A lot of decisions should be out over these next two weeks. :)

Oh cool! I was also told by the CBS faculty that I should hear back in 1-2 weeks. Which department did you interview with? :)

2 hours ago, Business_PHD21 said:

Oh cool! I was also told by the CBS faculty that I should hear back in 1-2 weeks. Which department did you interview with? :)

Awesome! I was actually just guessing, but that's great to confirm. I interviewed with the Management department. Hbu? 

6 hours ago, chen48y said:

Has anyone heard back from Yale SOM (management)? Haven't seen an interview post yet... 

I don't know how accurate the info is, but my POI at another university thought Yale SOM was not recruiting this year. He seemed surprised that the application was open. I also applied and haven't heard back at all.

7 hours ago, OBPhDwannabe said:

I don't know how accurate the info is, but my POI at another university thought Yale SOM was not recruiting this year. He seemed surprised that the application was open. I also applied and haven't heard back at all.

Ah sad. Yeah I had the same feeling. Thanks for the info!

26 minutes ago, IWannaBeAPhD said:

I don't have any official info, but I heard that the interviews went out last week.

Thanks for the info. I didn't see it on results search.  I saw marketing, operations, and accounting.

Best of luck to those who got the interview!

Edited by Behavioral21

15 hours ago, chen48y said:

Has anyone heard back from Yale SOM (management)? Haven't seen an interview post yet... 

All I know is Yale SOM did mini interviews for Operations but I have no idea if they let anyone know yet