Getting into grad school despite low gpa

I'm a recent graduate ( winter 2019) of a CSD B.A program. This past summer I tried applying to just one grad program (Baylor) for the fall semester, however I was denied admission. I would like to think it was heavily due to my low overall gpa. I would like to apply to a few other schools however i'm afraid that my chances of getting in due do to this may be slim. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or are there any schools that can be recommended for me to look into? 

My suggestions would depend on your additional statistics: What was your cumulative GPA? CSD GPA? GRE scores? Volunteer/work experience? Research experience? Who wrote your LORs? Did they know you well? Did you feel your personal statement was strong? These would be helpful to know :)

As a side note, I think it is uncommon for applicants to apply only to a single graduate program, unless you had amazing stats. I would say among my cohort, the average number of schools they applied to ranges from 5-10 schools, depending on their stats. 

I would suggest calculating your last 60 credits GPA to see if that GPA is higher than your overall. Then, research grad programs that will base your application off the last 60 units. That will increase your changes! 

Also, highlight in your letter of intent your research, work, volunteer, internship experiences. Don't just list them, but write a story and make sure they flow together. The idea is to not tell them what you did, but rather what you've learned from those experiences and how it's influenced you in the field. :)

If you still think you're not a strong candidate, don't be discouraged. Just take some time off to gain more experience and volunteer hours. 

Good luck~

• 1 month later...

Try applying to some of the newer, less known school's! I just got accepted into Albizu University with a pretty low gpa. I think it's because on EdFind it shows they're in Puerto Rico, but their other campus is in Miami so barely anyone applies. Pretty neat school too, classes are Friday and Saturday so you can still work and right now they're online.  Definitely check EdFind for school's that are a little more new and check their stats to see if your gpa and gre scores are around the same. Also try adding experience too.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2020 at 7:06 AM, SavSLP2Be said:

Try applying to some of the newer, less known school's! I just got accepted into Albizu University with a pretty low gpa. I think it's because on EdFind it shows they're in Puerto Rico, but their other campus is in Miami so barely anyone applies. Pretty neat school too, classes are Friday and Saturday so you can still work and right now they're online.  Definitely check EdFind for school's that are a little more new and check their stats to see if your gpa and gre scores are around the same. Also try adding experience too.  

How was the application process? How long did it take for you to hear back? I am also assuming you are a part-time student? 

1 hour ago, Bspeech said:

How was the application process? How long did it take for you to hear back? I am also assuming you are a part-time student? 

It was super easy! The academic advisor, Rafael Vasquez was super nice and helpful. He also responded really quick! You just have to fill out the application on Albizu Universities website and pay the $50 fee I believe it is. I applied for their Spring Semester so they wanted the application in by August 1st (just the online portion) and your GRE scores, two letters of recommendation (they have a form online you send them or they can create their own and they send it to Rafael), resume, and Official transcripts by Sept 1st. They also wanted unofficial transcripts sent to him by July 1st to make sure you had the pre-reqs. After that I heard about an Interview and about a writing portion you have to do on September 11th. My interview was on September 22nd and the writing portion which was a timed two essay portion was on September 23rd. The interview was online and was with one other person and two faculty members. Super standard and they inform you a little bit about the program as well. The writing portion is basically a personal statement and then you have to do an article critique. I actually enjoyed that because you had to come up with your personal statement offhand lol After that I officially heard that I was accepted on November 10th. I honestly don't think they get that many people to apply and I think mostly everyone that had an interview was accepted, so I've heard. 

Actually I am technically a Full-Time student. It's my first semester but it's Friday and Saturday classes. This semester I only have Friday classes, two of which are synchronized and then two that strictly online. My two classes that are synchronized are on Friday's, one is at 9:30-12 and then my other class is from 1pm-3:30pm. We then have workshops to tell us about clinical's and such that are from 3:30-4:30. Typically the classes end earlier than what they have though and most of our assignments are due either Friday, Saturday, and mostly on Sunday. Let me know if you have any other questions!

39 minutes ago, SavSLP2Be said:

It was super easy! The academic advisor, Rafael Vasquez was super nice and helpful. He also responded really quick! You just have to fill out the application on Albizu Universities website and pay the $50 fee I believe it is. I applied for their Spring Semester so they wanted the application in by August 1st (just the online portion) and your GRE scores, two letters of recommendation (they have a form online you send them or they can create their own and they send it to Rafael), resume, and Official transcripts by Sept 1st. They also wanted unofficial transcripts sent to him by July 1st to make sure you had the pre-reqs. After that I heard about an Interview and about a writing portion you have to do on September 11th. My interview was on September 22nd and the writing portion which was a timed two essay portion was on September 23rd. The interview was online and was with one other person and two faculty members. Super standard and they inform you a little bit about the program as well. The writing portion is basically a personal statement and then you have to do an article critique. I actually enjoyed that because you had to come up with your personal statement offhand lol After that I officially heard that I was accepted on November 10th. I honestly don't think they get that many people to apply and I think mostly everyone that had an interview was accepted, so I've heard. 

Actually I am technically a Full-Time student. It's my first semester but it's Friday and Saturday classes. This semester I only have Friday classes, two of which are synchronized and then two that strictly online. My two classes that are synchronized are on Friday's, one is at 9:30-12 and then my other class is from 1pm-3:30pm. We then have workshops to tell us about clinical's and such that are from 3:30-4:30. Typically the classes end earlier than what they have though and most of our assignments are due either Friday, Saturday, and mostly on Sunday. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Oh wow! That sounds great. I I am going to look into it. Is the interview fairly intimidating or are they just trying to get to know who you are. Right now I am an SLP-A  and have five prerequisites done from another university however I am very interested in this program. What do they consider acoustics? Do you feel like your personal statement and article critique was judged harshly or do you feel like it was pretty relaxed? 

17 hours ago, SavSLP2Be said:

It was super easy!

Hello Sav SLP2Be, 

I have tried to contact the office but I keep getting told other admission counselors must be currently busy, set up an appointment for them to call then do not receive a call and I have done this process 3x now. Is there any way to privately send me information on your counselor that helped you and maybe I can reach out that way? Are they anticipating continuing online education? I am in Vermont so it would have to be online but I am very interested in this program if so! 

2 hours ago, Bspeech said:

Hello Sav SLP2Be, 

I have tried to contact the office but I keep getting told other admission counselors must be currently busy, set up an appointment for them to call then do not receive a call and I have done this process 3x now. Is there any way to privately send me information on your counselor that helped you and maybe I can reach out that way? Are they anticipating continuing online education? I am in Vermont so it would have to be online but I am very interested in this program if so! 

I would try contacting Rafael Vasquez, here is his email: rvasquez@albizu.edu; I think they would consider it speech science but I am not sure. I would ask Rafael about the pre-reqs. I think they are anticipating continuing online for a while now. I'm not sure about once you start clinical's in your last semester how that would work. I think you would just have to set up clinical sites, but I think they have some out of state people as well that do clinical's. I honestly don't think they judged the article critique and personal statement too harshly, but they did grade my critique. I didn't think I wrote that great of a paper and I made an 80 on it lol Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Lewis University in Chicago accepts students with 2.75 GPA, no GRE. There are a lot of new programs that don't require the GRE, will overlook GPA and rely more on your essay, LORs, experiences, and interview. Apply to as many schools as possible, look for developing programs, and turn in your application EARLY (like September-October instead of January-February). That will give the admissions committee a chance to look at your entire application. Here are some of the developing programs I've found besides Lewis:

Moravian College

Carlow University

Pace University

Kean University

Widener University

Gannon University

St. Augustine University

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, selfmadeslp said:

Lewis University in Chicago accepts students with 2.75 GPA, no GRE. There are a lot of new programs that don't require the GRE, will overlook GPA and rely more on your essay, LORs, experiences, and interview. Apply to as many schools as possible, look for developing programs, and turn in your application EARLY (like September-October instead of January-February). That will give the admissions committee a chance to look at your entire application. Here are some of the developing programs I've found besides Lewis:

Moravian College

Carlow University

Pace University

Kean University

Widener University

Gannon University

St. Augustine University

Best of luck!

I don't know about the other schools you mentioned, but I applied to Kean and it's not a developing program, it's been around a few years at least. They also have a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply. If you're looking for other developing programs in NJ, check out Rutgers or Thomas Jefferson in Philly, though they also probably have minimum GPA requirements.

4 hours ago, dani_zee said:

I don't know about the other schools you mentioned, but I applied to Kean and it's not a developing program, it's been around a few years at least. They also have a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply. If you're looking for other developing programs in NJ, check out Rutgers or Thomas Jefferson in Philly, though they also probably have minimum GPA requirements.

I was under the impression it was, my mistake!