Thoughts on more than 3 LORs?

standardegg3456

Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere. I am applying to PhD programs this cycle and wondering what is the general consensus on getting more than the required # of letters of rec (I'm just talking a 4th letter, not like 6 or 7!)

I already have 3 LOR - two from my current positions and one from a position a few years ago. I could easily get one from my more recent previous position that would be positive/strong, but it probably wouldn't be as impressive as the one from a few years ago. Would it look weird to not have a letter from the chunk of time in between? I'm thinking a fourth would only bolster my application, but I don't want to seem like I can't following directions. Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

I think there are a few schools that will say "3-5 letters" which gives you the go ahead to add an extra letter or two. If you have a 4th letter writer than can say something about you that the others cannot, might be worth it to include it. For all of the schools that say 3 letters, only send 3 letters.

My mentor suggested I ask 4 people, send the requests out to the 3 best, and then have the fourth as a back up in case for some reason one of the others failed to get it turned it on time. The fourth person knew they were the back up, and was prepared to submit at the last minute in case of disaster. Thankfully, I didn't have to call on them, but I was glad to know I had a plan in place. 

As far as universities that say you can include more than the 3 required, I've been told by graduate committees and profs that no one will read all 4 or 5 letters (some don't make it past the first one or two!), so including more LORs can work against you if the ones that get picked to be read don't reflect the best of you.  It's smarter to ensure you have 3 absolutely stellar letters rather than 4 or 5 that may or may not be of equal quality.

Edited by Randi S