Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

Interviewed at CUNY this morning and already got an email back - they only have a single fellowship open this year! Here's hoping the waitlist shakes out in such a way as to be favorable, but wow, that's a tough one.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:31 AM, hellohellohello said:

as april 15th approaches...has anyone committed anywhere yet? we've gotta celebrate after all these months of waiting!

I committed to Case Western's musicology PhD program! So thankful ❤️ 

Hi all. I am international applicant. I have been accepted to PhD in Musicology programs at McGill, UMich, and Stony Brook. I am debating what would be the best choice for me. It would be great to hear your thoughts. 

McGill is offering 3-years of funding (bummer!), but the program really aligns with my interests and I would love to live in Montreal. I would defo need to apply for external scholarships (most probably Quebec scholarships) if I go there.

UMich is giving a good package, but it is a very classically oriented program (I am doing a combination of Voice & Gender Studies. Professors generally do not have that kind of a focus as far as I understand). Also, I am quite to used to living in big cities so I am not sure how fulfilling life would be there. Besides, students finish their program in 6 years on average, which I think is super long as opposed to some other unis in the States. 

Stony Brook does not have a good ranking though it is good. My research interests align with the faculty, but I am not sure how much I should care about the reputation as long as the program is a good fit. On the downside, I heard that social life was not so great there despite its proximity to NYC.

Help pls!!

4 minutes ago, music2021 said:

Hi all. I am international applicant. I have been accepted to PhD in Musicology programs at McGill, UMich, and Stony Brook. I am debating what would be the best choice for me. It would be great to hear your thoughts. 

McGill is offering 3-years of funding (bummer!), but the program really aligns with my interests and I would love to live in Montreal. I would defo need to apply for external scholarships (most probably Quebec scholarships) if I go there.

UMich is giving a good package, but it is a very classically oriented program (I am doing a combination of Voice & Gender Studies. Professors generally do not have that kind of a focus as far as I understand). Also, I am quite to used to living in big cities so I am not sure how fulfilling life would be there. Besides, students finish their program in 6 years on average, which I think is super long as opposed to some other unis in the States. 

Stony Brook does not have a good ranking though it is good. My research interests align with the faculty, but I am not sure how much I should care about the reputation as long as the program is a good fit. On the downside, I heard that social life was not so great there despite its proximity to NYC.

Help pls!!

Just curious - were you notified in your admissions letter from McGill about funding or was there a separate letter? I was accepted for DMA composition and am still waiting on funding info. I know it's most likely tight this year.

In regards to your question, it seems like McGill would be the best fit and combination of prestige, interest, and area for you. Of course funding makes some things tricky, but there is definitely external funding available...

Just now, purposelessplayer said:

Just curious - were you notified in your admissions letter from McGill about funding or was there a separate letter? I was accepted for DMA composition and am still waiting on funding info. I know it's most likely tight this year.

In regards to your question, it seems like McGill would be the best fit and combination of prestige, interest, and area for you. Of course funding makes some things tricky, but there is definitely external funding available...

Hello and thanks for the reply. Congrats on your acceptance! I received a seperate letter a couple of weeks after my acceptance. I believe everyone is getting a different package though. Tbh, they were a bit shady throughout the process (the stipend amount they offered changed several times as well as the details about TAships and RAships...). If I knew that I could get funding later on, I would not hesitate but the whole process was undertaken really unprofessionally...  Do you happen to know how difficult it is to get external scholarships once you are there? 

6 hours ago, music2021 said:

Hello and thanks for the reply. Congrats on your acceptance! I received a seperate letter a couple of weeks after my acceptance. I believe everyone is getting a different package though. Tbh, they were a bit shady throughout the process (the stipend amount they offered changed several times as well as the details about TAships and RAships...). If I knew that I could get funding later on, I would not hesitate but the whole process was undertaken really unprofessionally...  Do you happen to know how difficult it is to get external scholarships once you are there? 

Thank you and congrats to you, too! That's kind of surprising to hear that the amount and everything changed. I'm trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt right now since things are so wonky thanks to the pandemic. I honestly don't know much about the funding situation in Canada so I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of more help!

• 2 weeks later...