Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

Hi all. I am wondering how other people are doing with the application process especially COVID really changed our lives and the application process. Many schools waived GRE scores and some schools are not taking new student for this cycle. So I had to change my plan but I am still applying to some schools like Princeton, UCB, UCSD, CUNY and UMich. I will probably add a few more but anyone else applying?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I had to take a few programs off of my preliminary list due to their not taking applications for Fall '21. Kind of a bummer, but at least I can put more energy into the remaining programs on my list. I'm not sure if this year will be more or less competitive; you have programs that are making cohort sizes smaller, but also lots of people who seem to be preparing for a gap year. I'm curious to hear from other musicology applicants out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings! Time for another round. I was accepted to the Music Technology program at Temple during the Fall 2019 cycle but declined because of all of the pre-requisites I needed to take/deficiencies in my transcripts. I'm applying to two new programs in NYC for Fall 2021 that are accepting applications:

• BerkleeNYC - MA in Creative Media and Technology (Songwriting and Production specialization)
  • The New School - MM in Performer-Composer

I tend to apply to programs that don't require the GRE so it's not usually an issue for me.

Edited by DrF8

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, hellohellohello said:

Any other musicologists here? If so, where have you started receiving correspondence from?

Hi there — I've also applied for doctoral programs in musicology. Have yet to receive even a peep of information. Where did you apply?

3 hours ago, DEFGECD said:

Hi there — I've also applied for doctoral programs in musicology. Have yet to receive even a peep of information. Where did you apply?

so far have heard from michigan and toronto re: interviews. no word from the others yet. have applied to harvard, brown, nyu, eastman, michigan, toronto. how about you?

Just now, hellohellohello said:

so far have heard from michigan and toronto re: interviews. no word from the others yet. have applied to harvard, brown, nyu, eastman, michigan, toronto. how about you?

Best of luck to you with those interviews. I've applied to Eastman, Berkeley, UNC Chapel Hill, Harvard, and Northwestern. 

Composer here. Got the Yale rejection last week. The 14th I think. Not really expecting to hear much else until February, but you never know. Right now we just have to hurry up and wait.

I just had my first interview. It went nicely, but is it common to do things like sight-singing, chord/interval identification and score identification during the interview? I did it okay but I wasn't prepared.

Edited by comp ic8

5 hours ago, comp ic8 said:

I just had my first interview. It went nicely, but is it common to do things like sight-singing, chord/interval identification and score identification during the interview? I did it okay but I wasn't prepared.

what subject did you apply for? composition?

6 hours ago, comp ic8 said:

No it’s not common. Where was this? The only place I’ve seen do similar is Indiana

4 minutes ago, greenmountain said:

hey all; hope everybody is doing well with the waiting game, and any interviews if you have them!!! wondering if anybody has heard anything yet from UC Irvine (ICIT,) UCSD (composition,) or Rice (composition)?????

For doctorate?  I'd be quite surprised if you hadn't heard from Rice for DMA - for masters they don't do a formal interview. Don't know about the others.

And thanks @DEFGECD, hope you get some good news from them soon.

29 minutes ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

For doctorate?  I'd be quite surprised if you hadn't heard from Rice for DMA - for masters they don't do a formal interview. Don't know about the others.

And thanks @DEFGECD, hope you get some good news from them soon.

ohhhh interesting; for Rice i applied for the comp MM. so do they just release prescreening results, and then admit applicants from that pool without interviews? or do they forgo a prescreening process as well for MM applicants, and just admit ppl?? (GL with eastman btw ?)

6 minutes ago, greenmountain said:

ohhhh interesting; for Rice i applied for the comp MM. so do they just release prescreening results, and then admit applicants from that pool without interviews? or do they forgo a prescreening process as well for MM applicants, and just admit ppl?? (GL with eastman btw ?)

So don't know how they're doing it this year of course - last year I had some friends applying to the MM there. I believe the faculty reached out to them at some point to invite them to a non-mandatory campus visit (though this did not guarantee acceptance...).  Not sure that really helps but that's what I got :)