Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

Just now, freshavocado said:

Have you checked your spam/trash folders? Sometimes important emails end up there for me...which also drives me bonkers. I've learned to check those daily.

Yep, I've been checking there, too. Sigh. Thanks for the tip, though! 

9 hours ago, musicologyLife said:

Hey everyone, overseas applicant. I have an interview with Indiana this weekend for a PhD in Musicology. Anyone else have on? Any ideas what to expect?

Also has anyone heard from Princeton yet? 

I'm a current MA Musicology student at IU! Do you know who you'll be meeting with? 

My interview was 3 years ago, in-person, so I'm not sure how things are working now. When I interviewed (again, granted, it was an MA), they had pretty typical questions: what interests you in musicology, what are your research interests, why IU, career goals, etc. 

4 hours ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

Anybody else waiting on any of NYU, Cornell, Duke? Might still be a few weeks I realize. 

3 hours ago, hellohellohello said:

I'm still waiting on NYU for musicology! No word from them yet.

oh hey you two; i'm also waiting to hear from NYU GSAS (for comp though)

i know they started looking at applications (composition ones, at least) around January 23 (got an email from them that day bc one of my application materials didn't process correctly and they needed me to resend it)

19 minutes ago, greenmountain said:

oh hey you two; i'm also waiting to hear from NYU GSAS (for comp though)

i know they started looking at applications (composition ones, at least) around January 23 (got an email from them that day bc one of my application materials didn't process correctly and they needed me to resend it)

Same, funny enough.

Hi everyone, I'm a Musicology PhD applicant!

Still waiting to hear back from Yale, NYU, and Brandeis. So far I've gotten accepted to UNC (!), interviewed at Northwestern, and waitlisted at UC Berkeley. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting in from the waitlist?

5 hours ago, mcsmusic17 said:

Hi everyone, I'm a Musicology PhD applicant!

Still waiting to hear back from Yale, NYU, and Brandeis. So far I've gotten accepted to UNC (!), interviewed at Northwestern, and waitlisted at UC Berkeley. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting in from the waitlist?

Congrats on UNC and Berkeley! I was rejected by Berkeley last night, but have yet to hear from UNC (fingers crossed that I've been waitlisted?). Did you also make it to the final round for Northwestern?

7 minutes ago, DEFGECD said:

Congrats on UNC and Berkeley! I was rejected by Berkeley last night, but have yet to hear from UNC (fingers crossed that I've been waitlisted?). Did you also make it to the final round for Northwestern?

Thank you, good luck with UNC and Northwestern! I haven't heard anything else from Northwestern since the first interview so I think I was probably rejected

1 minute ago, mcsmusic17 said:

Thank you, good luck with UNC and Northwestern! I haven't heard anything else from Northwestern since the first interview so I think I was probably rejected

I know, at least for composition, that Northwestern can have a silent waitlist - radio silence after interview and then acceptance randomly much later.  No guarantee that's what's happening to you of course, but it happened to someone I know. 

Meanwhile I'll just be over here wishing more of these places with great funding had compositional aesthetics amendable to my own.