Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

1 minute ago, UmPaUmPaUmPaPaPa said:

Specifically in Stanford CCRMA.

Okay. I don't know if this will help but I had my interview with Stanford last week and still waiting to hear back I am going for Ethnomusicology. I am not sure how the CCRMA dept works. 

Applied to Cornell, Stanford, Brown, UCSD, Berkeley (waitlist), Northwestern (rejection), and Duke...no new info to share based on what's been said here already, just joining in on the Neurosis ?

2 hours ago, hellohellohello said:

how are folks doing? bit of a slog of a week, isn't it? surprised there hasn't been more news.

I'm... Functioning haha. Schools certainly are taking their time! But I can't be too sassy with all the obstacles this school year has brought. 

19 minutes ago, sallee said:

Applied to Cornell, Stanford, Brown, UCSD, Berkeley (waitlist), Northwestern (rejection), and Duke...no new info to share based on what's been said here already, just joining in on the Neurosis ?

I don't know if this will help. So far I was admitting into Duke(no interview) and waiting to hear back form Stanford after my interview. They had more applicants so they said it is much slower. We should know within the next couple weeks.

9 minutes ago, SoTired1 said:

I don't know if this will help. So far I was admitting into Duke(no interview) and waiting to hear back form Stanford after my interview. They had more applicants so they said it is much slower. We should know within the next couple weeks.

For composition?  Likelihood of declining for a poor waitlisted fellow such as myself? :D 

Edit: For Ethnomusicology I see from previous post.  So it probably won't help, cause the other person is a composer too.

Edited by JustAnotherComposer

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

For composition?  Likelihood of declining for a poor waitlisted fellow such as myself? :D 

Edit: For Ethnomusicology I see from previous post.  So it probably won't help, cause the other person is a composer too.

Do you think they handle everyone in the music dept the same way and at the same time?

Just now, SoTired1 said:

Do you think they handle everyone in the music dept the same way and at the same time?

I think it depends on the school.  Like Eastman is sending out musicology acceptances already but haven't even finished interviewing composers.  Some others seem too coordinate though, you're right.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

I think it depends on the school.  Like Eastman is sending out musicology acceptances already but haven't even finished interviewing composers.  Some others seem too coordinate though, you're right.

It's strange that I have heard nothing from Stanford yet. How am I the only person with updated news on this platform. I hope someone who also had an interview with Stanford finds us. 

Just now, SoTired1 said:

It's strange that I have heard nothing from Stanford yet. How am I the only person with updated news on this platform. I hope someone who also had an interview with Stanford finds us. 

I feel you, with basically all my remaining programs.  Probably the people getting in are too well adjusted to be posting on here, ha

1 minute ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

I feel you, with basically all my remaining programs.  Probably the people getting in are too well adjusted to be posting on here, ha

But not even that they had an interview?  No one from any section of music in Stanford posted this year. I think its odd

23 hours ago, hellohellohello said:

hi folks - does the harvard musicology acceptance happen to be anyone on here? curious if it came from an individual prof or whether it was in the portal!

I can't speak for musicology but I was contacted on 2.5 about composition by faculty and official waitlist notifications went out 2.10.

1 hour ago, purposelessplayer said:

I can't speak for musicology but I was contacted on 2.5 about composition by faculty and official waitlist notifications went out 2.10.

Saw your "no composers were outright admitted this cycle" results post.

Really not a fan of this.  I know some places don't know ahead of time if they will have any spots at all for composers, but of course that doesn't stop them from taking people's application fees (and then probably never informing them whether or not there was ever a spot). 

If you can't guarantee that you will be able to take people - either make it known in the application or suspend the cycle.  Not that I'm personally affected by this school (but who can say about any others?) but still...

7 hours ago, JustAnotherComposer said:

Saw your "no composers were outright admitted this cycle" results post.

Really not a fan of this.  I know some places don't know ahead of time if they will have any spots at all for composers, but of course that doesn't stop them from taking people's application fees (and then probably never informing them whether or not there was ever a spot). 

If you can't guarantee that you will be able to take people - either make it known in the application or suspend the cycle.  Not that I'm personally affected by this school (but who can say about any others?) but still...

I can't think anyone likes this. It's a tough situation for everyone involved, between applicants, current students, and faculty. Some universities are handling it differently than others, but I think we're all just trying to make it through this very strange year.

3 hours ago, hellohellohello said:

received a somewhat cryptic message from u of toronto (musicology) saying my application was still under consideration but that they had to figure out how many students they could take - anyone else?

Not from U of Toronto, but that was essentially my message from UNC. I'm still in the running, but the number of additional acceptances to the program depends on what the deans say. So I'd guess that's a wordy way to say you're on the wait list? Fingers crossed its not like other programs still figuring out if they can take anyone. Such a weird year. 

Best of luck! I'm rooting for you, internet friend! 

4 hours ago, musiclibk said:

Not from U of Toronto, but that was essentially my message from UNC. I'm still in the running, but the number of additional acceptances to the program depends on what the deans say. So I'd guess that's a wordy way to say you're on the wait list? Fingers crossed its not like other programs still figuring out if they can take anyone. Such a weird year. 

I received the same "waitlist" email from UNC. Hopefully there will be better news later this month.

Edited by DEFGECD

8 hours ago, musiclibk said:

Rooting for you too!! Best of luck with UNC!

On 2/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, ueidruob said:

bumping this... would very much like to know!

On 2/12/2021 at 1:32 PM, hellohellohello said:

hi folks - does the harvard musicology acceptance happen to be anyone on here? curious if it came from an individual prof or whether it was in the portal!

hi yall - i received an email and a phone call from prof. rehding, but it was for music theory. my official letter was posted a couple days later on the portal.