Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

14 hours ago, TheWacoKid said:

Thanks for all the positivity! The interview process was really so professional and engaging, so I would assume they're really sticking to some kind of process for admissions. I didn't really get the vibe that reaching out to them following the deadline would be of any benefit, which I think is one of the reasons that they told applicants about the March 15 decision date. I only interacted with faculty in open-to-all-comers situations; in this case, just the open house and some open colloquia. I do know someone in the program who talked to the faculty about me prior, so they had some introduction to my work, and thus those conversations maybe had a little more substance - but, I never had any sort of one-on-one meetings outside of scheduled events.

As long as you haven't gotten a rejection notice, I would assume you're still in the game! From what I understand, they got far more applicants this year than in any prior year, which just takes that much more time to go through them all. I hope you get some clarity and good news soon!

Thanks again! All this is good to know! And glad to hear it was a good experience for you! 

Haha this is all kind of like Schrödinger's cat--simultaneously alive AND dead...until we look in the box. :)

Good luck again!!! Keep us posted if you hear more!!

7 minutes ago, Timewilltell said:

Rejected from Stanford. 

Bummer. Sorry to hear, but congrats on getting waitlisted at NYU! All is not lost! 

And I feel your earlier post-- if this year isn't the year (wtf 2020!?!?)-- then 10 more months to beef up your portfolio isn't such a bad gig. I couldn't do any of the installations that were accepted to shows this past year and have had to consider major revamps to other projects in the works. Suffice to say, Covid has been a learning experience!

Hope you're able to get more of your chamber music recorded in the coming months! (Whether you need it to apply again, or not! :) )

Just now, cfi1980 said:

Hey, is it an NYU Waitlist for Composition (PhD)? Where can I see it? Could you send a link please? thanks...I applied and didn't hear from them yet

There’s one for both composition and musicology actually it seems.  Search “music” or “musicology” on the results page (not NYU)

On 1/17/2021 at 2:18 AM, hellohellohello said:

Any other musicologists here? If so, where have you started receiving correspondence from?

I got waitlisted at UCR and accepted from UofT for ethnomusicology. I have not heard anything from the University of Washington about ethnomusicology or UCSD about Integrative Studies at all. 

1 hour ago, Timewilltell said:

Congratulations. No news could be good news. Rejected from UW and UCSD in Composition. Probably a different timeline 

Hey there, sorry to hear about your rejections (I also received some already...). I also applied to UCSD for Composition (Computer Music) and haven't heard back yet, I am wondering if I'm still in the game...when did you receive the rejection from them? Thanks

Thank you, I hope you are right and I'm still in the running (someone posted he got accpted to computer music at UCSD on Feb' 10th...)...so far I applied to 10 schools and received 6 rejections already...frustraing, I still hope to receive good news from the schools I still haven't heard from...Good luck to you as well!!!

1 minute ago, cfi1980 said:

Thank you, I hope you are right and I'm still in the running (someone posted he got accepted to computer music at UCSD on Feb' 10th...)...so far I applied to 10 schools and received 6 rejections already...frustrating, I still hope to receive good news from the schools I still haven't heard from...Good luck to you as well!!!

Someone early posted that UCSD is 'rolling' admissions - so it might mean that they simply haven't arrived at your file yet.  Or you're on some sort of waitlist.  Who knows!  Hope it works out.  

Anybody apply to Michigan?  

NYU update: applied to the Ethnomusicology PhD and heard nothing but radio silence after POI told me results would go out in mid-Feb...followed up via email today and got a response saying that NYU drastically cut the funding/numbers for music grad programs, leaving them with "almost no spots" and that they likely wouldn't be able to take anyone at all for ethno this year. Super bummed but glad to have an answer

1 minute ago, frauleinstein said:

NYU update: applied to the Ethnomusicology PhD and heard nothing but radio silence after POI told me results would go out in mid-Feb...followed up via email today and got a response saying that NYU drastically cut the funding/numbers for music grad programs, leaving them with "almost no spots" and that they likely wouldn't be able to take anyone at all for ethno this year. Super bummed but glad to have an answer

Brutal. They didn’t even have a cycle last year.  Thanks for the update though. 

13 hours ago, frauleinstein said:

this is interesting to hear. I was waitlisted for ethno a few days ago

9 hours ago, kaanin said:

this is interesting to hear. I was waitlisted for ethno a few days ago

definitely interesting – I wonder if that means you would have been a straightforward admit in a year with more funding/spots? fingers crossed for you!

17 minutes ago, frauleinstein said:

definitely interesting – I wonder if that means you would have been a straightforward admit in a year with more funding/spots? fingers crossed for you!

maybe, thanks! it's hard to say, it's been such a strange year. I know of one other person who was waitlisted at NYU for musicology, and one person who was accepted for composition and is for sure planning to go. I was rejected from the other schools I applied to, so next year might just be a year off for me. c'est la vie

Well, here we are at the beginning of another week, waiting once more...

Has anyone heard from Wesleyan? That's basically the only school I'm still waiting to hear from that's relevant to my decision-making. Last year they let me know of my rejection on 3/11, but just curious if anyone's heard anything as of now. I know there was at least one other person here who applied there.