Music Fall 2021 applicants

comp ic8

10 minutes ago, UmPaUmPaUmPaPaPa said:

Same here waiting from MEME. I didn't receive any interview invitation too.. :(

Tough to be in waiting limbo! It's the only program I applied to myself, so I've been going back and forth between disappointment, hope, and (probably the most realistic) "what can I do better next year?" Good luck to you though! It ain't over yet, so who knows? *Cue Journey's Don't Stop Believin'"* ?

Not to be a downer, but last year I applied to Brown and did not get my rejection until March 20...just thought you might want to know. Don't be too much on the edge of your seat, as it could be a while longer until decisions go out.

1 hour ago, freshavocado said:

Not to be a downer, but last year I applied to Brown and did not get my rejection until March 20...just thought you might want to know. Don't be too much on the edge of your seat, as it could be a while longer until decisions go out.

Sorry to hear you didn't get in, but congrats on trying for more programs this year! Hope you make it! 

Question, were you able to follow up with Brown (or other schools) for feedback on your application? 

1 hour ago, MatisseDuchamp said:

Sorry to hear you didn't get in, but congrats on trying for more programs this year! Hope you make it! 

Question, were you able to follow up with Brown (or other schools) for feedback on your application? 

Thank you! This time around I do have one great offer on the table and am waiting from several other schools. Definitely don't give up if you don't get in anywhere your first time around (I did not).

Unfortunately I can't really answer your question because I didn't try to get feedback. I was so burnt out from the process that I just wanted to get back to making music again. I did get feedback from some peers and former professors, though.

2 hours ago, freshavocado said:

Thank you! This time around I do have one great offer on the table and am waiting from several other schools. Definitely don't give up if you don't get in anywhere your first time around (I did not).

Unfortunately I can't really answer your question because I didn't try to get feedback. I was so burnt out from the process that I just wanted to get back to making music again. I did get feedback from some peers and former professors, though.

Phenomenal! Cheers to your resilience and success wherever you end up! 

And thanks for the encouragement! As much as I'd like to get in this year, if I don't, well... I'm grateful to have had the experience for next time. I'm looking forward to getting back to music and art making too! (Nuts how this application process hijacks your life!)

Good luck everyone! 

On 2/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, MatisseDuchamp said:

Has anyone else heard back from Brown's Music & Multimedia Composition program? It looks like there were interviews in January, but no Acceptances/Rejections posted here yet. I haven't heard anything myself!

Hope everyone's navigating the waiting period well!! Congrats to all who got into their program! Sending good energy to folks who are dealing with disappointment too! There will be something beautiful around the corner!

I interviewed for the Brown MMC program in mid January, and talked with faculty over Zoom a handful of times prior to that. I'm really not sure if they scheduled all of their interviews at once, or if they are doing a rolling thing - I saw on here that someone logged an interview request well after I got mine, so all this is to say that it seems like their process is very flexible and fluid.

They also said that they had a goal of sending decisions prior to March 15, so I assume they'll have those out between then and the end of March (lol).

30 minutes ago, Timewilltell said:

Anyone hear from CUNY, Stanford DMA composition, Cornell or Brandeis? I did not get an interview at any of these. Should I assume the worst?

I had an interview at Stanford on Feb 2 for ethnomusicology and I havent heard back since. Have you contacted them already?

36 minutes ago, Timewilltell said:

Anyone hear from CUNY, Stanford DMA composition, Cornell or Brandeis? I did not get an interview at any of these. Should I assume the worst?

My understanding is that these composition programs aren't doing interviews (EDIT: implying there's a good chance, no one has heard from them yet!) - I am also waiting to hear back from Stanford/Cornell...but I may be wrong? :)

Edited by sallee

2 hours ago, TheWacoKid said:

I interviewed for the Brown MMC program in mid January, and talked with faculty over Zoom a handful of times prior to that. I'm really not sure if they scheduled all of their interviews at once, or if they are doing a rolling thing - I saw on here that someone logged an interview request well after I got mine, so all this is to say that it seems like their process is very flexible and fluid.

They also said that they had a goal of sending decisions prior to March 15, so I assume they'll have those out between then and the end of March (lol).

Hey! Awesome to hear! Congrats on making it to the interview stage! How did it go? Sincerely hope it works out for you! Curious, you mentioned that you talked to faculty before the interview... did you initiate those conversations? Or did they reach out on their own for informal chats? Just wondering about their level of contact and whether they would be open to someone getting in touch. 

"Flexible and fluid" sounds about right for this program. At least that's the vibe I got during the Open House. :) It looks like in 2015 there was an interview in late February, which is why I can't entirely throw in the towel. That was a long time ago, I know, and they might have been on a different timeline back then... but can't help but grasp for straws when you're sitting in the dark.

Thanks for sharing your status! Coming from someone who's heard nada, it's incredibly appreciated! (Helps me move on and focus on other projects and grant apps!) Good luck!!! ? ? ? Hope there isn't too much more waiting in yours and everyone else's future!

50 minutes ago, sallee said:

My understanding is that these composition programs aren't doing interviews (EDIT: implying there's a good chance, no one has heard from them yet!) - I am also waiting to hear back from Stanford/Cornell...but I may be wrong? :)

I second this understanding! I applied to Stanford, CUNY, and Brandeis, and was told that this would be the case, so I doubt it's something to be concerned about. And, to say the least, COVID has really impacted a lot of schools' admissions processes for a lot of reasons, so it would be normal that we might be waiting on these programs a good while longer ?

28 minutes ago, TheWacoKid said:

I second this understanding! I applied to Stanford, CUNY, and Brandeis, and was told that this would be the case, so I doubt it's something to be concerned about. And, to say the least, COVID has really impacted a lot of schools' admissions processes for a lot of reasons, so it would be normal that we might be waiting on these programs a good while longer ?

Do you know how the programs might have been impacted? I am just trying to understand.

18 minutes ago, MatisseDuchamp said:

Hey! Awesome to hear! Congrats on making it to the interview stage! How did it go? Sincerely hope it works out for you! Curious, you mentioned that you talked to faculty before the interview... did you initiate those conversations? Or did they reach out on their own for informal chats? Just wondering about their level of contact and whether they would be open to someone getting in touch. 

"Flexible and fluid" sounds about right for this program. At least that's the vibe I got during the Open House. :) It looks like in 2015 there was an interview in late February, which is why I can't entirely throw in the towel. That was a long time ago, I know, and they might have been on a different timeline back then... but can't help but grasp for straws when you're sitting in the dark.

Thanks for sharing your status! Coming from someone who's heard nada, it's incredibly appreciated! (Helps me move on and focus on other projects and grant apps!) Good luck!!! ? ? ? Hope there isn't too much more waiting in yours and everyone else's future!

Thanks for all the positivity! The interview process was really so professional and engaging, so I would assume they're really sticking to some kind of process for admissions. I didn't really get the vibe that reaching out to them following the deadline would be of any benefit, which I think is one of the reasons that they told applicants about the March 15 decision date. I only interacted with faculty in open-to-all-comers situations; in this case, just the open house and some open colloquia. I do know someone in the program who talked to the faculty about me prior, so they had some introduction to my work, and thus those conversations maybe had a little more substance - but, I never had any sort of one-on-one meetings outside of scheduled events.

As long as you haven't gotten a rejection notice, I would assume you're still in the game! From what I understand, they got far more applicants this year than in any prior year, which just takes that much more time to go through them all. I hope you get some clarity and good news soon!

11 minutes ago, SoTired1 said:

Do you know how the programs might have been impacted? I am just trying to understand.

To generalize with regard to most programs like these, there's been a huge jump in the number of applicants while funding either has stayed the same, at best, or declined, at worst. I have no idea how all of their admissions processes might play out, but if a program is relying on just a portfolio for admissions decisions with no interviews, they really have to take their time seriously reviewing and discussing each portfolio, and that time adds up!

12 hours ago, Timewilltell said:

My advisor said not to contact them until decisions were released. I might request feedback from a few after the fact (assuming I will be rejected, of course). 

I actually sent emails (yesterday) to the schools I'm still waiting to hear from...Brandeis (composition PhD) is one of them. I don't think it is bad at the point (end of Feb' almost...) to contact schools for a status update.