Fall 2021 PhD in Social Work!

ArchieJones

9 hours ago, Jazzyjazz said:

Y’all had some great answers as to when you applied for your PhD program, how much experience you have, etc – thanks so much!

One follow up: I heard from my BSW advisor that the school in which you received your MSW doesn’t matter too much for getting into a PhD program. Can anyone speak to this?

I think getting your MSW at a university you might intend to get your PhD in is a huge help- you'll know faculty, you'll have an "in", you'll be able to speak to a lot in your SOPs. That said- i've also seen a lot of posters say they did NOT get into their uni/school's PHD program despite having gotten their master's there so its not 100% guaranteed. In general what i like about SW is that they're not too elitist in terms of colleges/university's and i think it more has to do with research/experience/fit with faculty, etc. 

I've thought about applying to a PhD at my MSW institution but my interests over time have really drifted away from what a lot of their faculty do so i'll definitely not be a great fit there.

19 hours ago, Jazzyjazz said:

Y’all had some great answers as to when you applied for your PhD program, how much experience you have, etc – thanks so much!

One follow up: I heard from my BSW advisor that the school in which you received your MSW doesn’t matter too much for getting into a PhD program. Can anyone speak to this?

Hi Jazzyjazz, 

I agree with the response Kryz gave- sometimes earning your MSW at the university where you plan to apply for your PhD is helpful- faculty know you and you are well connected. However there are quite a few universities that openly say they will not admit anyone that applies from the MSW/MA program. That can be for various reasons, like bringing in more diverse perspectives and applicants.  

In terms of it not mattering where you get your MSW, I think that’s true. I think sometimes people get caught up on going to the most competitive programs and while that can look appealing to some profs and universities, the name or status won’t be all they’re looking at. Perhaps you had more involvement in your department, relevant experience, and your interests align better. That’s really what’s most important. So maybe someone attends a top university for their MSW... it’s great but it won’t necessarily get you in if you’re not a strong match. At the end of the day, everyone that applies with a MSW haaaas a MSW. So what else is there? And how will you be a strong match? Hope that helps! :) and, you got this!

I just received an acceptance email from The University of Texas at Arlington!  I don’t think anyone in this thread applied to UTA, but it was my top school and the only one I applied to (so I was nervous)!  Best of luck to everyone!  

1 minute ago, sunluck21 said:

Thank you!!! I think I'll wait for U Chicago before I make a decision. How about you? Will you accept it?

Columbia is my #1 pick, however I am waiting to hear from NYU, and UT Austin to make a decision! 

wondering if anyone can tell me how to afford living in New York without more student loans haha

Congratulations on your admissions. So far I got rejected by WashU St. Louis, Virginia Commonwealth and BC. 

I will have an interview with Wayne State this week. 

I didn't apply to any west coast universities because of the cost of living. My MSW is from the University of Michigan. Glad to find this forum ... I've been freaking out...

Edited by sadurma_z

3 hours ago, sadurma_z said:

Congratulations on your admissions. So far I got rejected by WashU St. Louis, Virginia Commonwealth and BC. 

I will have an interview with Wayne State this week. 

I didn't apply to any west coast universities because of the cost of living. My MSW is from the University of Michigan. Glad to find this forum ... I've been freaking out...

I feel you. It's a hard time, waiting for results and getting rejection letters. Prior to today, I got rejected by 4 other social work programs. I also got rejected by one developmental psychology program. I almost lost hope before. 

It's definitely been a hard, stressful and anxious month. But it's still early and some schools can wait until the end of February or early march to send out decisions. Hang in there! I believe you will hear good news! Sending my best wishes to you! 

2 hours ago, sunluck21 said:

I feel you. It's a hard time, waiting for results and getting rejection letters. Prior to today, I got rejected by 4 other social work programs. I also got rejected by one developmental psychology program. I almost lost hope before. 

It's definitely been a hard, stressful and anxious month. But it's still early and some schools can wait until the end of February or early march to send out decisions. Hang in there! I believe you will hear good news! Sending my best wishes to you! 

Thank you for the support. It means a lot:)

3 hours ago, smile12 said:

I got into the Columbia University. But just like @sunluck21  I was waiting for UChicago's decision, and I found that someone just has posted the admission result.. UChicago was my priority and I put all my efforts and hope into the application. Disappointed.. 

Congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia!

I didn't hear anything from Uchicago either.  it was my top too :( 

17 hours ago, sadurma_z said:

By the time I submit my first entry here I got another rejection from UCONN ?

4 REJECTIONS

1 INTERVIEW

16 MORE TO GO... 

wow! You applied to a lot of places!!!! Keep that head up, trust in yourself and it sounds like you really took the time to apply and spend time and energy into this. Just know that rejections don’t reflect your worth!

13 hours ago, smile12 said:

I got into the Columbia University. But just like @sunluck21  I was waiting for UChicago's decision, and I found that someone just has posted the admission result.. UChicago was my priority and I put all my efforts and hope into the application. Disappointed.. 

will you be accepting Columbia? 
did you apply anywhere other than U Chicago and Columbia?