Fall 2021 PhD in Social Work!

ArchieJones

1 hour ago, jaayneigh said:

@SstenderB seeing that other people had been accepted, I've been trying to log into UT Austin's MyStatus. It's been very slow or non-functional for me today, and I'm not sure that means anything but I'm reading into it anyway haha

I'm guessing the hard freeze and subsequent power outages all over the state are messing with their sites functionality today. I'm not a PhD applicant, but an MSSW applicant, and I'm having the same issue. 

41 minutes ago, brokeactor said:

I'm guessing the hard freeze and subsequent power outages all over the state are messing with their sites functionality today. I'm not a PhD applicant, but an MSSW applicant, and I'm having the same issue. 

I live in Dallas and things have been terrible here in Texas.  No power, water or internet access, or access to food for many families.  The entire state is in crisis, and will probably be shutdown until this weekend.  Many campuses are closed or not operating to full capacity.  Ironically temps will be in the 60s/70s next week, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Best of luck everyone!  

6 minutes ago, PatelXX said:

Email? Thanks for letting me know. Than I guess it's over. They might have sent acceptances and waitlisted. Only Rejections left.

Yeah it was an email to check the portal. I emailed before and they said all decisions will be released by this Friday, so I think you might have your answer by then. Fingers crossed it's good news!

3 hours ago, jaayneigh said:

@SstenderB seeing that other people had been accepted, I've been trying to log into UT Austin's MyStatus. It's been very slow or non-functional for me today, and I'm not sure that means anything but I'm reading into it anyway haha

Same for me! @jaayneigh I am trying to just focus on work today so I can steer away from reading too much into the system being so slow or non-functional lol keep us updated and I'll do the same!

1 hour ago, sunluck21 said:

I just received a rejection letter from U Chicago. :(  Disappointed since it's my top choice. 

Sorry Sunluck21, sending you good vibes and hope you get some offers from other great schools!

8 minutes ago, HOP said:

I accepted my offer at UC Berkeley. It was my top choice and my faculty mentor aligns really well with my research interests. I'm really excited!

That's so exciting -- congratulations on choosing a great program! 

Ok - my patience has run out and I finally made an account so I could join the discussion instead of lurk in the shadows!

I saw that @sunluck21 had posted a question about the U of Minnesota's PhD in social work. I am also wondering if anyone else has heard from the U of MN -- there was one post on the results page a few days back, someone who received an acceptance notification on February 9th... has anyone else applied at and/or heard word from the U of MN? 

3 hours ago, coffeetalk said:

Ok - my patience has run out and I finally made an account so I could join the discussion instead of lurk in the shadows!

I saw that @sunluck21 had posted a question about the U of Minnesota's PhD in social work. I am also wondering if anyone else has heard from the U of MN -- there was one post on the results page a few days back, someone who received an acceptance notification on February 9th... has anyone else applied at and/or heard word from the U of MN? 

lol welcome to the discussion! I saw that result post too. I also wonder what's going on with U of MN.  Even a rejection letter is better than nothing 

19 hours ago, Hopeful_Phd said:

For those who have interviewed, what was your interview experience like? Any tips or advice? 

I have interviewed with 4 schools thus far and have gotten accepted to all of them. 

My advice is:

1. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Look into not just their publications but even the students they work with, their other research interests, classes they teach, etc. 

2. BE YOURSELF. If you are presenting someone you aren’t or are just saying what you think they hope to hear then you are sabotaging yourself because then even if they accept you you’ll be miserable because you didn’t present yourself accurately for fit.

3. NEVER RUN OUT OF QUESTIONS. Have a bucketload of questions that you could potentially ask! 
The more specific the better because it shows you are versed on the information of the program. TAKE A LOOK at their curriculum guides, and if they have a handbook make sure to compare it to other schools to gather questions from too.

4. SHOW YOUR PASSION! :) 

@AReelExpert Thank you for your response! That was helpful! Congratulations on being accepted to all 4 schools! 

Were your interviews 1 on 1 with just your POI? or were they committee interviews? All of mine coming up are committee interviews and thats where I am stuck on how to fully prep since I do not know who will be interviewing. 

30 minutes ago, Hopeful_Phd said:

@AReelExpert Thank you for your response! That was helpful! Congratulations on being accepted to all 4 schools! 

Were your interviews 1 on 1 with just your POI? or were they committee interviews? All of mine coming up are committee interviews and thats where I am stuck on how to fully prep since I do not know who will be interviewing. 

Thank you! I had 3 interviews with each school. 1st with POIs or admissions dept people, 2nd with grad students, 3rd with committee/other faculty in program.

I would say the prep is the same. If you don’t know who it is, then be overall familiar with the program itself and the lab you want to work in. I also would say for me, I didn’t know who I would interview with after POIs so I looked up who else did research with my area of interest and briefly perused their profiles. 

it’s ok to not know EVERYTHING in advanced, I think most importantly be yourself! You have the answers within you about what makes YOU the best candidate. I’d say practice some relaxation techniques so that you are able to come across in the way you want to. I know I ended up interviewing with someone I had done 0 research on and instead focused on hearing her research interests and listened to what would be aligned to mine. (Focus also on what you would need to find out from them to make a decision to be at that program).

17 hours ago, mariahmc said:

I heard back and was admitted to University of Utah a few weeks back and University of Maryland today! 

CONGRATS!!! Which one do you think you’ll take? Are you waiting on any other ones?