Fall 2021 PhD in Social Work!

ArchieJones

11 minutes ago, LOFSW66 said:

Did anyone hear back from Wisconsin Madison, OSU and BU? Saw someone posted on the result page, but haven't heard any updates yet.

I applied to BU and have not heard anything yet - did someone post with a result? The waiting is getting harder and harder! 

40 minutes ago, latteart2020 said:

I applied to BU and have not heard anything yet - did someone post with a result? The waiting is getting harder and harder! 

I saw the results from OSU and Wisconsin had been posted here https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=social+work  BU sent email earlier said the result will be released within 4-6 weeks, now it's taking longer...fingers crossed!

Hi everyone, I’m another long-time lurker. Has anyone applied or heard back from UCLA’s social welfare doctoral program? I had a zoom meeting with my poi on the second week of January and am just waiting to hear back. I checked other forums and it looks like historically, people have heard back 2nd or 3rd week in February. The anticipation is killing me!! Also congrats to those of you that have gotten some acceptances! 

Hi friends,

Does anyone from current or previous applicants knows any update of Toronto Social Work- PhD?

Do they take interviews as part of review process?

Approximate date of results? Which week?

Does anyone knows total number of applicants, offers and acceptance rate?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Jazzyjazz said:

Hi folks. I’m just curious - do most of y’all have multiple years of experience? Is anyone fresh out of an MSW program or applying for joint MSW/PhD programs? Just trying to get a timeline for when I apply to programs. 

I personally have 6 years of post-MSW experience (community mental health, hospital-based, and private practice). If you're wanting to go into academia and teach practice courses, CSWE does require you to have at least 2 years of post-MSW practice experience. However, if your interest is more along the lines of theory, policy, and/or research, it probably isn't as necessary to have as much practice experience. 

2 hours ago, Jazzyjazz said:

Hi folks. I’m just curious - do most of y’all have multiple years of experience? Is anyone fresh out of an MSW program or applying for joint MSW/PhD programs? Just trying to get a timeline for when I apply to programs. 

Hey Jazzyjazz- I have 5 years of post-MA work experience (research, advocacy, care coordination, teaching, program management) and am currently getting my MPA. I think the “right” timeline is really what’s right for you and depends on what you want to do as a doctoral candidate. I know some professors value work experience, so it’s definitely a plus but if you have strong research experience as an undergrad and great letters, I don’t see why you wouldn’t apply now. 

Also, I agree with AlexSW- having applied experience does help w/teaching and training. 

21 hours ago, Jazzyjazz said:

I did a dual degree masters for three years, with 2500+ hrs RA, one TA, 1000 hrs practicum, and I would get strong letters, I could have applied to PhDs but decided not to right after my masters, although a PhD has always been what I wanted.

A few years have passed and I am in the process of applying (not to social work programs but with my research interests a heavy focus on social justice & health equity). Looking back, that was probably one of the most appreciated decision. I was in my early 20s, exhausted during my masters because I ‘wanted it all’, eventually I wasn’t sure if I want to be committed to the crazy academia lifestyle (later I realized it is indeed a choice).I also want to get more real life exposure so if I ever pursue a PhD, I can use my PhD time more effectively. 

As others have mentioned, having post MSW work experience would add advantage, but for my cohort I knew ppl without post MSW work experiences getting into good/great social work phd programs and now being faculty. They did not have as much research experiences as I had during masters when they applied (I’m an international student so I was fully loaded to make a living as I can’t do off campus jobs). Now I’m financially more stabled so I can enjoy life more on a PhD stipend.

There is not a ‘right way’ because everyone is different. That was just my two scents.

Edited by xxxxling

On 2/7/2021 at 11:32 AM, PatelXX said:

Columbia and Chicago - Social Work- PhD -

Do they take interviews?

Approximate date of results?

Someone said earlier in the forum that Columbia is not doing interviews and we should expect last week in feb or early March 

On 2/7/2021 at 1:06 PM, Jazzyjazz said:

I have a year of experience, but no post-MSW experience. I applied while in the last year of my MSW program, which made me nervous, and some program directors tried to convince me that I would be at a disadvantage because of it, but I received offers from great schools nonetheless. I think a big part of it is just selling yourself honestly.