Fall 2021 PhD in Social Work!

ArchieJones

4 minutes ago, AReelExpert said:

HEY HEY! CELEBRATING on my end! Congrats!!! Is this where you think you’ll go? :)

HEY!! Thank you! I am also happy for you! Congrats!!

Yeah, I most likely to attend Maryland. My target professor’s research interests align really well with mine! 

hi everyone! I've been following this thread for a bit and decided to jump in - has anyone heard from Pitt or know when we might expect to hear? I emailed a few weeks ago and was told by the end of March, but that seems very late, and I was wondering if anyone had any more concrete information.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances so far!

14 minutes ago, moonstruck said:

hi everyone! I've been following this thread for a bit and decided to jump in - has anyone heard from Pitt or know when we might expect to hear? I emailed a few weeks ago and was told by the end of March, but that seems very late, and I was wondering if anyone had any more concrete information.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances so far!

Hi! I haven't heard from Pitt either. Looking at past years' forums, I saw that they typically interview. I haven't heard anything about interviews this year, so I'm wondering if they won't be bc of covid. 

1 hour ago, hopefulPHDtobe said:

Hi! I haven't heard from Pitt either. Looking at past years' forums, I saw that they typically interview. I haven't heard anything about interviews this year, so I'm wondering if they won't be bc of covid. 

Hi! I had an interview with Pitt on the 10th of Feb with faculty. The director informed me of an interview on 23rd January. The interview went well. Although I have been accepted at UMB, Indiana and Mizzou. I will be accepting UMB I guess. 

For people asking for Minnesota, the director had said they would send out decisions mid feb. I am guessing they have sent out their accepts. As for UNC I am sure they have sent all the accepts as the director said you should hear something from us early Feb. 

7 minutes ago, sd1 said:

Hi! I had an interview with Pitt on the 10th of Feb with faculty. The director informed me of an interview on 23rd January. The interview went well. Although I have been accepted at UMB, Indiana and Mizzou. I will be accepting UMB I guess. 

For people asking for Minnesota, the director had said they would send out decisions mid feb. I am guessing they have sent out their accepts. As for UNC I am sure they have sent all the accepts as the director said you should hear something from us early Feb. 

Congrats on your acceptances and interview!! 

1 hour ago, hopefulPHDtobe said:

Congrats on your acceptances and interview!! 

Thank you :).. Don't worry for people waiting on results. Last year I got rejected from all 3 programs. I asked them for feedback, worked on publication and applied this time. So everything will work out while you wait anxiously. It always does :)

Hi, 

I am thinking of applying this year for Fall 22. I have worked on migration and trafficking with focus on human rights. I have worked with the United Nations Offices (both UNODC and IOM) and now thinking of applying for PhD. Should I be looking into PhD in Social Work or Public Policy? I want to get back into the industry after finishing. Please advice. 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, EssTee said:

Hi, 

I am thinking of applying this year for Fall 22. I have worked on migration and trafficking with focus on human rights. I have worked with the United Nations Offices (both UNODC and IOM) and now thinking of applying for PhD. Should I be looking into PhD in Social Work or Public Policy? I want to get back into the industry after finishing. Please advice. 

Thanks.

So I would definitely look into the curricula of each program and see which one appeals most to the type of RESEARCH you are trying to conduct. 

I particularly love social work research because we have a unique person in environment lens along with a systems perspective model. This means a lot of research is application/intervention research. I am not as familiar with public policy but I urge you to look into the professors there too and their research because that will give you more of an idea of what track to pick. 

also you can apply to both programs!

On 2/27/2021 at 12:34 AM, ArchieJones said:

has anyone heard from UAlbany or UBuffalo?

yes I got an accept from Ualbany but I will not be accepting the offer, as I am joining Maryland. yes Ubuffalo came on Saturday. It was a reject 

Stiiiillllll nothin' from Minnesota. Not even a waitlist notification. I emailed the Graduate program coordinator but she did not respond. Has anybody else gotten any word from the U of MN? 

11 hours ago, coffeetalk said:

Stiiiillllll nothin' from Minnesota. Not even a waitlist notification. I emailed the Graduate program coordinator but she did not respond. Has anybody else gotten any word from the U of MN? 

Me neither. Nothing from Minnesota at all. 

On 3/8/2021 at 9:27 AM, ArchieJones said:

I heard from Rutgers on Friday 

Did you get in? I have some questions related to their funding package.  Shoot me a message please. 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, Swapplicant21 said:

Hey everyone! 

Wondering if anyone else has been accepted to UIC? I heard back end of February! 

I was accepted to UIC two weeks ago. However, I am going to reject the offer due to a lack of funding. 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, Swapplicant21 said:

Hey everyone! 

Wondering if anyone else has been accepted to UIC? I heard back end of February! 

I am waiting to hear back from a couple more schools and not ready to make a decision. How about you?

Hey everyone, I’d love to hear where everyone has decided to attend! Congratulations to all wether you got in or not for making it this far. 

I am still deciding, Columbia University was my top choice but faculty fit and funding seem huge issues right now, so I’m still considering. 

good luck to everyone 

Finally heard back from Minnesota.... rejected. Major bummer and a big ol' blow to the ego. Now.... to figure out how to become a more competitive applicant for next year. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

16 hours ago, coffeetalk said:

Finally heard back from Minnesota.... rejected. Major bummer and a big ol' blow to the ego. Now.... to figure out how to become a more competitive applicant for next year. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Can you ask someone in the program to read the reviewer's remarks regarding your application?  That can give you an idea of what they are desiring for admissions.  Last year, I wasn't accepted, and the reviewer did not like the format of my resume and thought the author of one of my recommendations sounded as if he wanted to date me.  Those were my two criticisms, but I wouldn't have known that they were issues without being told.  The professor who wrote the letter has a PhD from Dartmouth.