New Admits: Have you "met" your cohort yet?

coyabean

Just wondering about everyone's experiences with getting to know their cohort.

I know I have met all of my classmates as the finalists all interviewed together. However, I don't know who was extended an offer or who has accepted.

My friend is going to UNC, however, and her department sent out an email introducing them all to each other. They've already connected -- some in person -- and have a fb page and everything.

I guess I'm a little anxious and excited about whether or not the people I hit it off with most will be there. And, I've got a different problem than some of the older non-trad grads on other posts: I'll be single with no children. So, I'm concerned that it'll be all parents and marrieds who just come to class and go home to their real lives. There was one woman there similar to me, though, and I hope she's there! Or, at least someone single. :(

Are you on Facebook? LinkedIn? If you know these people's names, look them up. Maybe their profiles will say where they're going. I wouldn't hesitate to Google them -- if you find any e-mail addresses (assuming you don't have them already), you might send friendly inquiries as to their plans.

My cohort has pretty much all friended each other on Facebook or LinkedIn already. We also have multiple Facebook groups going, one that admits started and one that the program made. ^_^

It helped that a bunch of us we met at welcome week events after we'd been accepted. But it was still before most of us decided where to attend, so we even talked about our options together. Now I'm glad to know who's picked my school and who's decided to go elsewhere.

It would be good for you to keep in touch with the people you hit it off with, anyway! Always nice to know others in your field, even if they are not at your school. I've walked away from the admissions process very happy with my new contacts at schools across the country.

If you can't find them online, maybe e-mail your program and ask about introductions, like your friend's program. That's a really good idea on their part.

How big is your cohort? Especially since the program sounds small, maybe your presence helped sway someone to accept. :) Awesome peers are very persuasive.

Edited by Jae B.

I'm going into an MA program with a larger number of students than a PhD cohort, so I'm not really so worried about making friends or long-term friendships as I would normally be before moving to a new place. I don't know who any of the other students are, how many of us there are, there's no Facebook group or any of the usual pre-attendance stuff. I guess it would be nice to get a feel for who I'll be taking classes with, but I'm trying not to think about it too much and to spend as much time as I can with my undergrad friends I'll be graduating with.

Are the other students in your cohort mostly going to be moving from other cities/states? Because if they are, even if they are married they'll probably still be interested in making some new friends. Besides, you can always get involved in other things on campus and go to grad student events (they have them here, I'm assuming they have them elsewhere) to meet students from other departments.

I'm also going to UNC, and I've gotten to know some of my cohort through email, but since I'm out of the country, I haven't met anyone in person. I am not worried about this at all, since they all seem very nice and I know we'll have plenty of time to get to know each other once we start the program. I'm sure you'll meet more people and make friends once you're there.

I have met one member of my cohort. My program is small only 12 offers were made and I think 7-8 accepted. I got to meet this cohort member, because we both visited at the same and were put together in an apartment. We didn't have a meet and greet day or interviews, and we have not had a mass e-mail introducing us. It will be an exciting mystery day when we have orientation. The other member I met is about my age although he got a master's while I took time off (code for: didn't get funding last year). Hopefully they will get us together soon digitally, but I have to remind myself it is a busy time with exams and everything. I have been in contact with my advisor, and they seem to be a bit stressed right now, because they are totally revamping the structure of the program.

. Hopefully they will get us together soon digitally, but I have to remind myself it is a busy time with exams and everything. I have been in contact with my advisor, and they seem to be a bit stressed right now, because they are totally revamping the structure of the program.

We're really small, too. And I am also hyper-aware of the time of year. My dept is down a full professor due to illness and I just know they're slammed. And almost every prof I met has been kind enough to send me a personal note so I'm not going to email them to ask about something like introducing me to people. LOL I'm sure it's way down their list of priorities.

I may take the above advice and google the folks from the interview. But, I'd hate to do that only to find out some folks weren't accepted.

I haven't met anyone. :(

I went out to the school, but not at the same time as anyone else. I met a couple of grad students who are already there, but that is it.

What is considered a small cohort? Mine is 8-10, I think that is medium sized, yes? The school I turned down has a cohort of 3, that is small!

I haven't met anyone in my cohort either, I guess I'll have to wait until August to meet them. I don't even know how many of us will be starting, but according to one of the professors in the adcom it will be just a few of us. When I was on the campus visit I met 4 current students and I found out there's a guy from Puerto Rico who has been accepted in the program (although I don't know whether he has accepted or not).

As for the poster worrying about being single w/o children in GradSchool, you're not the only one in that situation. There will be plenty of us in Grad School. If it's not in our programs it will be in other programs. But don't worry, you'll make friends and hopefully will find your s.o. (my grandma is already praying for thattongue.gif)

My cohort hasn't met yet either. Actually, I haven't heard anything from the program since I accepted. Is that normal? Though I haven't met anyone from my class, my future housemate is in the program right now, so hopefully she'll be able to give me a few pointers.

My cohort hasn't met yet either. Actually, I haven't heard anything from the program since I accepted. Is that normal? Though I haven't met anyone from my class, my future housemate is in the program right now, so hopefully she'll be able to give me a few pointers.

After I sent an e-mail + a formal letter accepting the offer, I waited and waited and got no answer from the head of the department (although I did get an answer from the professors to whom I had told my decision of accepting the offer).

I was getting worried, since it was past April 15th and I had rejected two other offers, so I sent him an e-mail. Apparently he thought he had replied to me but he didn't. He apologized and told me that I would get more info at the beginning of the summer.

Did the school confirm the receipt of your acceptance? If they didn't, I would suggest you to send an e-mail asking for confirmation. If they did, I would wait a little bit. The semester is coming to an end and the professors must be extremely busy these days. Give them 2-3 weeks until the last days of class and the finals have passed. Then, if you haven't received anything, I guess you can ask.

I just completed my first year...After I got my initial acceptance letter (in March 09), it instructed me to contact my advisors and arrange an initial meeting. I did and communicated with one of them perhaps twice before I came out in June to look for a place to live and meet with him. After that, we had maybe two or three more email exchanges before classes started in August. I didn't know anyone in my cohort until the week before classes started when I met one person at the Grad Student Orientation. At the end of the first week, we had our first seminar class; all first and second year students are required to take the class. That was when I met the other 7 students in my cohort.

I've "met" a few people in my cohort, mostly through Grad Cafe. (Thanks, by the way!) There were a few other people at visitation weekend, and I've kept in touch with one person who I know accepted. I'm not too worried. I'm sure it will all sort itself out in August.

I haven't met anyone. :(

I went out to the school, but not at the same time as anyone else. I met a couple of grad students who are already there, but that is it.

What is considered a small cohort? Mine is 8-10, I think that is medium sized, yes? The school I turned down has a cohort of 3, that is small!

There were only 11 of us at the interview so I imagine the yield will be closer to 3 than 8. It is a small department. :) I liked that though. I feel as if I won't have to fight for money, time, attention and resources.

But the suspense is killing me!

Also, it seems like one of my cohort must be on Grad Cafe. Not two hours after I made this post one of us sent that email someone suggested further up the thread. :) Now I'm just waiting to see who responds.

So exciting.

I've friended a couple of people on Facebook, but I probably won't actually meet anyone until August since the people I do know of at the moment are spread out around the country.

I got a e-card from the departmental secretary, but as far as hardcore info and intros has been very quiet. I keep hoping to know what classes are offered, but I can't register yet because I have an H1N1 immunization hold... I know all first year grad students (and my program does not have a terminal masters but the 4+1 program) have to take an intro to historical studies class, so I will get to know all the younguns like myself.

I got an e-mail from a current grad student in my program a few weeks back. It was to me and 4 other people, which I am assuming are my cohorts. I copy pasted the other four's e-mails on Facebook to see who was in there, and only one of them showed up. So I guess I'll stick to the old, reliable e-mail system to get the introduction ball rolling... although I do wish someone else from those four would've started it. :lol:

I received one e-mail from the PhD coordinator for the division in mid-April. There are 12 in my cohort, spread across five departments. So I took Jae B.'s advice and e-mailed everyone a few days ago, just to introduce myself and say hi.

I've recieved several replies thus far, one from someone who will also be in my department (yea, because I think there are only two of us). The diversity is impressive -- I hope to learn a lot from these people.

Edited by oldlady

We got a list with everyone's name and contact info last month. Most of us are friends in facebook, there is a program facebook page and we have a google group. I think it really varies. I have friends accepted to other programs who haven't heard a peep yet.

I'm one of the don't-know-anythings. All I know is it will probably be around 10 students :P. We all visited when we chose, so maybe some students had overlapping visits, but I didn't meet anyone from my cohort.

Way at the opposite end here...my school has 1200 students total across all fields so that would make my cohort size somewhere between 100 and 200 students. Wagner, which I also got into has a similarly large size. I guess this is indicative of a professional masters program in a very large urban area. I haven't met anyone yet. (if by chance you will be attending SPA at Baruch this fall and are reading this, say hi!)

Edited by pea-jay

So I guess I can stop checking my mail. A current student told me that I won't here anything until later in the summer which will only be an email about orientation. But she's my housemate for next year and she's throwing a party at our house for new students, so I'll meet them then.

I met a bunch of people at one of the recruitment weekends in March, but that was pretty early and before most people had made a decision yet. Plus, it was one of 2 weekends, and there were 50 accepted students at one weekend and 30 at the other! So I had friended a couple of the people I met on facebook, of which only one decided to attend, and I am living with her, yay!

Other than that, I had heard nothing until yesterday, a graduating 5th year emailed all the incoming first years trying to sell her house, must have got our emails from the admin. So on there I saw a bunch of emails, and was able to place a few more people who I met who are attending. I was told they were shooting for an incoming class of 35, and it looks like they ended up with a few more, my rough count looked more like 42! It's a pretty big program, but it looks like my year is bigger than average!

I keep searching for facebook groups and such, but no one seems to have made one, and I don't know enough people to start it. I tried searching some of the emails on facebook, but a lot of people used different emails for their apps than they have listed on their facebook, or else their privacy settings won't let me find them! So I have kind of resigned myself that I will just meet the rest of them in July when I go up there for TA training. I was more worried about talking to my cohort before I had my housing figured out, now that is done with it's not really urgent, just curiousity.

I just got an online packet that included instructions on getting a campus email address (YAY! It really didn't sink in that I was actually going to grad school until I got that address), info on how to look for housing, how to request a program mentor, things like that.

Included in this packet is a link called "classmates" that lists all the new students in the department and a little bio on each one. I'm astounded at the backgrounds of some of these people and some of the places they hail from: Singapore, Greece, S. Korea, Bolivia, Germany, Japan, Spain and Thailand are all represented, as well as kids from all over the US of A. Multiple Fulbright scholars, and a lot of them already have teaching positions. Holy cow. I definitely have my work cut out for me.

I just got an online packet that included instructions on getting a campus email address (YAY! It really didn't sink in that I was actually going to grad school until I got that address), info on how to look for housing, how to request a program mentor, things like that.

Included in this packet is a link called "classmates" that lists all the new students in the department and a little bio on each one. I'm astounded at the backgrounds of some of these people and some of the places they hail from: Singapore, Greece, S. Korea, Bolivia, Germany, Japan, Spain and Thailand are all represented, as well as kids from all over the US of A. Multiple Fulbright scholars, and a lot of them already have teaching positions. Holy cow. I definitely have my work cut out for me.

That's so cool! I have my email addy too (and it totally blew my mind!) but no departmental page like yours. I think it's a wonderful idea, though.

I was about to reply saying I haven't had any communication with the department (and therefore only know the two other incoming students I met at my interview), but I just got an email from the department adding me to an incoming-psych-students mailing list. This is especially good because I was starting to (totally irrationally) freak out that I'd forgotten to mail in my admission response letter... so them acknowledging that they know I'm coming in September is a relief!