Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

26 minutes ago, mkkenny13 said:

I was reading back to previous years and looks like people got portal updates on their decisions as late as 8-10PM EST so it might be another few hours until we find out. My intuition is saying to me if you haven't been contacted by POI yet then it's not looking good. Expecting a rejection at this point.

Only 1:16pm PT now :(

28 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I think it's important to understand that this application process is very personal and we are all navigating our own insecurities, struggles and hopes during this time. For the record, I am the person who stated that it's Stanford's loss for not accepting me. To feel confident in my abilities and my value-add to their cohort and to also reflect on how I could have done better are not mutually exclusive. It's important that we aren't quick to jump to conclusions about people's attitudes, confidence levels or circumstances because truth be told, you weren't with me when I cried my eyes out during this admissions cycle. You weren't with me on days that I struggled through self-hatred and self-doubt. I'm grateful that I am finally at a point where I recognize, HEY I AM AWESOME! And maybe Stanford can't see that, but someone else will. In any case Toyo, I wish you all the best, and however your admissions cycle turns out, I hope that you will be confident in your awesomeness and in the brilliance you bring to whatever cohort you enter. Because you need to be unshakeable in that. Grad school is hard enough. Cheers!

No, sorry I didn’t mean it in any negative or judgmental way! It is just something I have been thinking about. And we have often discussed here that getting rejected does not necessarily reflect on our worth. My point was to just consider why I can’t believe in myself a bit more and try to reaffirm faith in myself. 

Edited by Toyo

1 hour ago, iamsoscared96 said:

happy to answer questions if there are any! my POI was surprised that I hadn't received a letter already, so I'm guessing they're going out soon?

Congratulations, what an achievement.  A little fear goes a long way, lol!  Do you mind sharing the initials of you POI?

1 minute ago, Toyo said:

No, sorry I didn’t mean it in any negative or judgmental way! It is just something I am been thinking about. And we have often discussed here that getting rejected does not necessarily reflect on our worth. My point was to just consider why I can’t believe in myself a bit more and try to reaffirm faith in myself. 

Ah I see. My mistake and apologies for misinterpreting. Honestly I want to affirm you and encourage you to dig deeper into that. For me, I know that my background (I'm Nigerian) is such that I was raised to be super competitive, hypercritical, and I've been socialized to believe that I'm deficient when I'm not achieving and not outwardly "succeeding". So I'm in a process of unlearning and relearning. And it's honestly helped me be less neurotic this admissions cycle than I would have been at any other time in my life. I meant what I said when I said I hope you see the awesomeness and brilliance within yourself. And I really do hope you experience pleasant surprises this circle. I am rooting for you Toyo!

1 minute ago, wilderivywander said:

Ah I see. My mistake and apologies for misinterpreting. Honestly I want to affirm you and encourage you to dig deeper into that. For me, I know that my background (I'm Nigerian) is such that I was raised to be super competitive, hypercritical, and I've been socialized to believe that I'm deficient when I'm not achieving and not outwardly "succeeding". So I'm in a process of unlearning and relearning. And it's honestly helped me be less neurotic this admissions cycle than I would have been at any other time in my life. I meant what I said when I said I hope you see the awesomeness and brilliance within yourself. And I really do hope you experience pleasant surprises this circle. I am rooting for you Toyo!

Thank you, @wilderivywander! I am Indian, and from a really conservative and backward area, so I get the conflict many of us have grown up with! I am terrified of letting my parents know of my rejection even though I am in my 30s and supposedly independent. It took me years to even have the confidence of making trivial decisions for myself. All my hopes are hinging on Stanford decision right now. Your words are comforting and I hope you get what you wish for and find a bright path for yourself. 

happy to answer questions if there are any! my POI was surprised that I hadn't received a letter already, so I'm guessing they're going out soon?

Did you have an interview prior to this? You should be very proud.

1. no my status hasn't changed on the portal

2. no interview, he was just congratulating me on the acceptance

3. not sure if today is the day! but he thought I already knew I was accepted 

Thank you for the feedback. Really wishing you all the best at Stanford.

55 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I think it's important to understand that this application process is very personal and we are all navigating our own insecurities, struggles and hopes during this time. For the record, I am the person who stated that it's Stanford's loss for not accepting me. To feel confident in my abilities and my value-add to their cohort and to also reflect on how I could have done better are not mutually exclusive. It's important that we aren't quick to jump to conclusions about people's attitudes, confidence levels or circumstances because truth be told, you weren't with me when I cried my eyes out during this admissions cycle. You weren't with me on days that I struggled through self-hatred and self-doubt. I'm grateful that I am finally at a point where I recognize, HEY I AM AWESOME! And maybe Stanford can't see that, but someone else will. In any case Toyo, I wish you all the best, and however your admissions cycle turns out, I hope that you will be confident in your awesomeness and in the brilliance you bring to whatever cohort you enter. Because you need to be unshakeable in that. Grad school is hard enough. Cheers!

I endorse this message :)

So I'll be honest. I was a low key wreck yesterday and the day before after seeing acceptances and rejections start rolling onto the results page. Someone in results said they reached out to their POI to get an update because they felt GSE was taking too long? So I gathered up the courage to email my POIs to see if there was any sort of update I'd missed out on (or if they could at least tell me I'd been rejected so I could rip the bandaid off). 

The reply was along the lines of advisors/department have done their part, it's now in the deans office, "results go out late Feb-early March". We'll update you if anything changes.

[insert manic laughing and internal screaming]

So I thought I was done for. I decided to reply back to at least thank them for letting me know what the situation was today, but I've recently gotten a reply back saying they received an update from the admissions office and I'll get an official notice that I've been accepted.

I've been accepted. ?

So lots of things are happening in lots of different ways. Don't give up. Even if it doesn't happen this year don't give up.

2 minutes ago, flowerpower07 said:

So I'll be honest. I was a low key wreck yesterday and the day before after seeing acceptances and rejections start rolling onto the results page. Someone in results said they reached out to their POI to get an update because they felt GSE was taking too long? So I gathered up the courage to email my POIs to see if there was any sort of update I'd missed out on (or if they could at least tell me I'd been rejected so I could rip the bandaid off). 

The reply was along the lines of advisors/department have done their part, it's now in the deans office, "results go out late Feb-early March". We'll update you if anything changes.

So I thought I was done for. I decided to reply back to at least thank them for letting me know what the situation was today, but I've recently gotten a reply back saying they received an update from the admissions office and I'll get an official notice that I've been accepted.

I've been accepted. ?

So lots of things are happening in lots of different ways. Don't give up. Even if it doesn't happen this year don't give up.

So happy for you! What an interesting turn of events.

3 minutes ago, flowerpower07 said:

I've been accepted. ?

That's awesome news!!!! Congratulations! 

I'm kind of jealous of the Phd folks here!

Two more weeks of waiting for Masters applicants. 

GOOD LUCK to those of you who will get results within only hours of waiting.  ?

My heart is pounding for you all! 

At this point, I am even grateful that February only has 28 days, meaning less days to wait until early March when all the masters decisions get to send out.  ?

9 minutes ago, flowerpower07 said:

I've been accepted. ?

Congratulations @flowerpower07! I wish you all the best for your days at Stanford!

9 minutes ago, flowerpower07 said:

I've been accepted. ?

Congratulations!!!!! Thanks for sharing out this experience!!! 

I am happy for the applicants who got interviewed! At least they know who to get in touch with. I so desperately want to ask but don’t know if I can mail the PoIs I mentioned in my SoP.

1 minute ago, jk25 said:

The only problem with her post is that of "end Feb-March." For real???? I cannot wait that long. I just e-mailed my POI. Time to end this torture!

For the best. I do not blame anyone for reaching out to get any extra info (though I'd not be too obnoxious). It just seemed that the advisors either have to be tight-lipped about information or maybe they don't all hear back at the same time?

Edited by flowerpower07

16 minutes ago, flowerpower07 said:

I've been accepted. ?

Congratulations and well done for being brave enough to ask! 

Just now, flowerpower07 said:

For the best. I do not blame anyone for reaching out to get any extra info (though I'd not be to obnoxious). It just seemed that the advisors either have to be tight-lipped about information or maybe they don't all hear back at the same time?

The advisors are not the ones to decide?