Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

Hi Guys, wanted to get a head start on fall 2021 applications for Stanford GSE. I'll be applying to POLS!

I see on the application requirements page it says SOP should be around 1-2 pages single spaced...yet the application system seems to only allow 2500 characters. Did they change the requirement this year and shortened it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone hear back from a POI? I tried reaching out to the admissions staff asking about Stanford’s email protocol because it seemed to greatly differ by school, but didn’t hear anything back. I emailed a professor anyways, and similarly no response. I’m wondering if it’s just a me thing or it’s a Stanford thing.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

Did anyone hear back from a POI? I tried reaching out to the admissions staff asking about Stanford’s email protocol because it seemed to greatly differ by school, but didn’t hear anything back. I emailed a professor anyways, and similarly no response. I’m wondering if it’s just a me thing or it’s a Stanford thing.

Thank you!

I reached out to a few different professors and all of them but one said they didn't meet with students prior to decisions. The one who did respond was pretty helpful and we spoke a few times! I am happy to talk more via PM :)

On 12/9/2020 at 3:48 AM, art229 said:

I reached out to a few different professors and all of them but one said they didn't meet with students prior to decisions. The one who did respond was pretty helpful and we spoke a few times! I am happy to talk more via PM :)

Thank you for the information! I'm actually not too hopeful about Stanford anyways because the alignment (of methodologies) was not really great. I'm glad you received a reply, though! :) 

• 1 month later...

My application status still indicates “submitted” and “incomplete”. The checklist says that the manual checking for PhD should have been done by Dec 17. Is anyone else facing the same issue? Should I write to the admissions team?

6 hours ago, Toyo said:

My application status still indicates “submitted” and “incomplete”. The checklist says that the manual checking for PhD should have been done by Dec 17. Is anyone else facing the same issue? Should I write to the admissions team?

Mine was the same until two days ago, and it changed to "complete." I guess they are still processing it.

In case they needed something, they must've contacted you. I got an email from the admission office a month ago that they didn't receive my score report.

So I think you can just wait and it'll be fine!

If I remember correctly, I think mine went into completed status since late December. I've had a couple of questions for the admissions office since then but haven't gotten any responses. The wait is killing me! Thank goodness for this forum. Did anyone here apply for their new PHD in data science program? I saw a couple of interviews for ed PhDs on the results page. Fingers crossed that I haven't missed the boat. 

4 hours ago, ngdt said:

If I remember correctly, I think mine went into completed status since late December. I've had a couple of questions for the admissions office since then but haven't gotten any responses. The wait is killing me! Thank goodness for this forum. Did anyone here apply for their new PHD in data science program? I saw a couple of interviews for ed PhDs on the results page. Fingers crossed that I haven't missed the boat. 

Yes! I've applied to education data science PHD, but I don't have high hopes. I haven't received any updates yet. Good luck to both of us!

I also had a few questions regarding the application in early December so I sent emails to admissions, and they were quite responsive. 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:56 AM, JJin said:

Mine was the same until two days ago, and it changed to "complete." I guess they are still processing it.

In case they needed something, they must've contacted you. I got an email from the admission office a month ago that they didn't receive my score report.

So I think you can just wait and it'll be fine!

Your reply has given me hope! No, I haven't received any mail so keeping my fingers crossed! I have applied to CTE (Literacy).

On 12/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, foxfire123 said:

Thank you!

I heard back from one person who said she typically calls candidates in January. I haven't heard from her so that doesn't seem to bode well for me. ?

23 minutes ago, fliss59 said:

I heard back from one person who said she typically calls candidates in January. I haven't heard from her so that doesn't seem to bode well for me. ?

I haven’t contacted my POI but wondering if I should have done that.

2 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I haven’t contacted my POI but wondering if I should have done that.

I've heard it depends on the school. I keep wondering if I should follow up with the aforementioned person, but it feels yucky post application submission! 

Hi guys I also applied to SHIPS and still haven't heard from them. My status has been changed to complete though.. so I am now with you waiting and checking my email hundred times a day. Somebody mentioned that the decisions are out at the end of the second week of February, so we've got three more weeks to wait....

On 1/22/2021 at 1:38 AM, Lara-55555 said:

Does anyone know if all admitted candidates have to be interviewed? Just wondering because their website says there is no formal interview process. Also, did anyone apply to SHIPS (specifically the ICE program)? 

Yes, this is what bothers me as well......do we have to expect being interviewed???? 

Is anyone still able to log back into their account? I used to be able to log in the same way I logged in to complete the application, but that link is no longer available. I'm asking because I sometimes see people saying they got their decision (not necessarily from Stanford) on the portal.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, Lara-55555 said:

Does anyone know if all admitted candidates have to be interviewed? Just wondering because their website says there is no formal interview process. Also, did anyone apply to SHIPS (specifically the ICE program)? 

I think it varies by program. I've definitely heard of/know people who got into Stanford PhD (and specifically the ICE program) without ever interviewing. 

6 minutes ago, ngdt said:

Is anyone still able to log back into their account? I used to be able to log in the same way I logged in to complete the application, but that link is no longer available. I'm asking because I sometimes see people saying they got their decision (not necessarily from Stanford) on the portal.

Yeah, I'm still able to login. Here is the link: https://www.applyweb.com/stanford/index.ftl   . It should work.