Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

Well it depends on what program you are going for. RILE is a cross-specialization that combines into aspects of a main branch. It's most likely going to keep growing. On their faculty hire page they posted a job post for 8 scholars/faculty to join with experience in Race, Inequality, Language, and Education. A lot of times you can be a great candidate but timing is something else altogether. This year for example. More than 1,000 applications for less spots than previous years. And that number is already super low : /

1 minute ago, RILE Hopeful said:

I applied (RILE-SHIPS)! There are 40 times more applicants than they can admit to the RILE program is what I read, but that it is the most popular PhD program people apply to.

Wow. That’s interesting. I didn’t know about that. Do you know how popular their ICE PhD program is? Thanks for any insight. 

44 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

Well it depends on what program you are going for. RILE is a cross-specialization that combines into aspects of a main branch. It's most likely going to keep growing. On their faculty hire page they posted a job post for 8 scholars/faculty to join with experience in Race, Inequality, Language, and Education. A lot of times you can be a great candidate but timing is something else altogether. This year for example. More than 1,000 applications for less spots than previous years. And that number is already super low : /

Are these 1,000+ applicants for the entire GSE or is it to a specific program?

Per their website for last year's class all GSE Programs 1,477 applied and entering class 114.

1 Due to the impact of COVID-19, these numbers are smaller than in a traditional year. A typical PhD class is 25-30, while ICE/IEPA, LDT, and POLS master’s cohorts are about 20. STEP Elementary typically sees a cohort size of 25 while STEP Secondary is about 65. The EDS master’s program plans to have 8-10 in its inaugural cohort.

2 hours ago, FreeZapata said:

Per their website for last year's class all GSE Programs 1,477 applied and entering class 114.

1 Due to the impact of COVID-19, these numbers are smaller than in a traditional year. A typical PhD class is 25-30, while ICE/IEPA, LDT, and POLS master’s cohorts are about 20. STEP Elementary typically sees a cohort size of 25 while STEP Secondary is about 65. The EDS master’s program plans to have 8-10 in its inaugural cohort.

This! I was interviewed by two POI around Jan 24th. They mentioned they usually take in 24-30, but it would probably be closer to the lower end due to COVID. After my interview they mentioned they would advocate for those students they wanted in the GSE program but it would be passed off to admin/dean to create cohorts that fit well because that was an important dynamic of the program.

11 minutes ago, flowerpower07 said:

This! I was interviewed by two POI around Jan 24th. They mentioned they usually take in 24-30, but it would probably be closer to the lower end due to COVID. After my interview they mentioned they would advocate for those students they wanted in the GSE program but it would be passed off to admin/dean to create cohorts that fit well because that was an important dynamic of the program.

Oh that’s amazing! Congrats on the interviews! Which program did you apply to? 

To everyone here stressing just like me : ) I just want to take a moment to say you did fantastic. You did all that you could have expected of yourself and more. Not just my words but the literal feeling at Stanford GSE from what I took away from my POI. There is so much talent and untapped potential in the applicants shaped by the tragedy that is Covid 19. Please don't let one decision keep you from dreaming big and applying again in future years or accepting whatever opportunity presents itself in some other way. Take it. Trust me you will not regret it. 

I honestly was not expecting an interview. In fact, I got an email from someone outside my intended area of specialization. But I'm happy I showed up for the interview 30 min in total and that I put my best case forward with what I knew at the moment.

Whether or not I get accepted won't change what I am currently doing. I am a teacher! I am a teacher going through the same struggles and challenges as all of you. I am mindful that this cycle has been particularly taxing on so many levels and that everyone experiences things differently. So please take care of yourself this week and the next. 

And I can't stress this enough. Please keep your chin up and move forward with purpose and compassion. For every spot taken there are hundreds of fantastic applicants that are equally if not more deserving than you for that particular spot. Thank you everyone for sharing your pain, passion, and hopes. I wish you well in everything.

Edited by FreeZapata

7 hours ago, Bradley1234567 said:

My interview was really short--only 15 minutes! I prepped by googling common PhD interview questions and drafting responses, and I was ready for it to take up to 30 minutes.

My impression was that the interview wanted to get a sense of why I wanted my PhD and what I planned on doing with it. Because the PhD cohort is going to be really small, I also got the sense that they were seeing if candidates would mesh well together. 

Thank you for sharing!!! And congrats with having the interview!!! ?  Well, I am just wondering, why would they ask what a candidate is going to do with his/her PhD and why he/she wants to do it..?? isn't it already written in SOP? 

Well, as for me, I was not invited for an interview, so do no know if there is any sense to wait????? (applied to SHIPS edu policy).....

1 hour ago, flowerpower07 said:

Oh.....??

41 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

To everyone here stressing just like me : ) I just want to take a moment to say you did fantastic. You did all that you could have expected of yourself and more. Not just my words but the literal feeling at Stanford GSE from what I took away from my POI. There is so much talent and untapped potential in the applicants shaped by the tragedy that is Covid 19. Please don't let one decision keep you from dreaming big and applying again in future years or accepting whatever opportunity presents itself in some other way. Take it. Trust me you will not regret it. 

I honestly was not expecting an interview. In fact, I got an email from someone outside my intended area of specialization. But I'm happy I showed up for the interview 30 min in total and that I put my best case forward with what I knew at the moment.

Whether or not I get accepted won't change what I am currently doing. I am a teacher! I am a teacher going through the same struggles and challenges as all of you. I am mindful that this cycle has been particularly taxing on so many levels and that everyone experiences things differently. So please take care of yourself this week and the next. 

And I can't stress this enough. Please keep your chin up and move forward with purpose and compassion. For every spot taken there are hundreds of fantastic applicants that are equally if not more deserving than you for that particular spot. Thank you everyone for sharing your pain, passion, and hopes. I wish you well in everything.

??????? thank you.....

@Jeanne A. I read your post a few days ago and wanted to say chin up. About the interviews: My POI reaffirmed what the website says regarding interviews. I asked specifically why some candidates get interviews and some do not. She mentioned that it's totally up to the specific professor to make those calls. But that they come together to talk about applicants in committees. So yes as has been mentioned here by other posters and per their website (plenty of candidates who were ultimately accepted did not interview and some did). 

My best guess is it varies by program type, professor, and applicants for that respective year. I'm sorry I can't give a clearer picture. Best of luck to everyone.

Edited by FreeZapata

5 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

@Jeanne A. I read your post a few days ago and wanted to say chin up. About the interviews: My POI reaffirmed what the website says regarding interviews. I asked specifically why some candidates get interviews and some do not. She mentioned that it's totally up to the specific professor to make those calls. But that they come together to talk about applicants in committees. So yes as has been mentioned here by other posters and per their website (plenty of candidates who were ultimately accepted did not interview and some did). 

My best guess is it varies by program type, professor, and applicants for that respective year. I'm sorry I can't give a clearer picture. Best of luck to everyone.

Thank you for the detailed reply and for encouraging..Well, it's 3d of February today..so only 10 more days of wait for all of us..

I am just wondering, is it only me being nervous soooooooooo much?? honestly, I am not able to normally concentrate on my daily responsibilities since I do not know what to expect from Stanford and so much in my life depends on their decision.

Good luck to everyone with waiting for 10 more days! ??

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

Thank you for the detailed reply and for encouraging..Well, it's 3d of February today..so only 10 more days of wait for all of us..

I am just wondering, is it only me being nervous soooooooooo much?? honestly, I am not able to normally concentrate on my daily responsibilities since I do not know what to expect from Stanford and so much in my life depends on their decision.

Good luck to everyone with waiting for 10 more days! ??

You are not alone! I have poured hot tea on myself a few times already.

1 hour ago, FreeZapata said:

Thank you! You have been very helpful!

7 hours ago, FreeZapata said:

Your sincerity, compassion, and humility are apparent in your messages on this forum. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher. And Stanford would be lucky to have you in their community. I wish Stanford could see your messages here and know what a great candidate they're getting! I wish you all the best, with the Stanford decision and beyond!

11 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Thank you for sharing!!! And congrats with having the interview!!! ?  Well, I am just wondering, why would they ask what a candidate is going to do with his/her PhD and why he/she wants to do it..?? isn't it already written in SOP? 

Well, as for me, I was not invited for an interview, so do no know if there is any sense to wait????? (applied to SHIPS edu policy).....

Yeah--that's a great question. I'm not on the admissions team, so I don't really know! My guess would be to confirm that those applying are motivated to complete the entirety of the program and have clear, tangible career goals outlined for themselves. There are definitely things that I said in my interview that weren't explicit in my SOP. 

Take all that with a grain of salt--I also have not heard back since the interview! 

Just now, Bradley1234567 said:

Yeah--that's a great question. I'm not on the admissions team, so I don't really know! My guess would be to confirm that those applying are motivated to complete the entirety of the program and have clear, tangible career goals outlined for themselves. There are definitely things that I said in my interview that weren't explicit in my SOP. 

Take all that with a grain of salt--I also have not heard back since the interview! 

Thank you, Bradley ???

6 hours ago, ngdt said:

Your sincerity, compassion, and humility are apparent in your messages on this forum. Your students are lucky to have you as their teacher. And Stanford would be lucky to have you in their community. I wish Stanford could see your messages here and know what a great candidate they're getting! I wish you all the best, with the Stanford decision and beyond!

Thank you @ngdt ?️?

On 1/25/2021 at 8:15 PM, Toyo said:

I read a reply on the results page that too many applications have been received for the same position (under CTE) and that they are slowly checking those and scheduling interviews. Since I have also applied for CTE and have not even got my application status updated to complete, I am quaking in my boots!

Welp, I applied to CTE and didn't even get this notificaton... So I'm guessing that's not a good sign for me.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:00 AM, ngdt said:

Thank goodness for this thread. Knowing that there are others who are also incessantly checking email/website/application/sanity actually does make me feel better. I have a specific question: on my application checklist, under GRE score status, it says "received (official)." But I didn't take the GRE this year. I did take it a little more than 5 years ago (when I applied and got rejected, wah wah). The strange thing is that those scores from 5 years ago should no longer be valid, so not sure how they were able to pull them. I was wondering whether that was a technical fix on their part to get the application into completed status since the GRE was required in previous years. Anyone else not take the GRE but seeing "received (official)" on their application checklist? I emailed the admissions office to ask, but no response. Thanks! 

Since they are not requiring the GRE this year, I think they just switched everyone's to "received" as in "this requirement is taken care of," kind of a computer/procedural thing.

52 minutes ago, fliss59 said:

Since they are not requiring the GRE this year, I think they just switched everyone's to "received" as in "this requirement is taken care of," kind of a computer/procedural thing.

Thanks! That's a reassuring response. That was what I was thinking/hoping, too.