Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

11 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Hi guys!!!@Toyo  @FreeZapata??Just wanted to share: after reading you this morning I went to my SOP to read it again and to make sure I did everything according to that 3 pages doc...?‍♀️ and also, yes I remembered that I found that doc too, while preparing my SOP, I think I was in October-November 2020.. 

Well...after reading my SOP I can say that I am not sure if it is exactly what they wanted?‍♀️

But anyway...I am trying to fix my emotions and be ready for whatever comes.

And I am soooooo grateful for the person who created this chat for those who applied this year.. because it seems like sharing my feelings with you here guys is really saving me from panic attacks  ? to which I guess I am closer and closer with every day of waiting ??

This is the longest I've ever waited for an e-mail! ?

I'll stop lurking and add my info, in case it helps someone. My app status is still 'incomplete', and my submitted is 'yellow', not green; however, I have been in contact with a POI concerning intersections of our research interests. I made them quite plain throughout my app. In the emails he kept letting me know how things would be "if I decided to come to Stanford." VERY cryptic. Even when discussing an area that wasn't his expertise, he let me know what advisement with other professors would look like 'should I decided to come to Stanford" or "should I come to be a part of RILE." Could be a way of sounding hopeful? It did help calm some anxiety around the app status though.

Hey folks. Much like you all I’m anxiously waiting for results. I reached out to my POI last week to ask about when we should expect to hear final decisions and he responded that notifications dates change every year but he will look into it and get back to me (I’m imagining he’ll just wait for decisions to come out this week). I specifically applied to the SHIPS - history of Ed program, good luck to us all! 

This waiting period has helped me appreciate the removed life of asceticism. Sanyasis are not supposed to be bothered by anything earthly. Borrowing some of that superpower ?!

24 minutes ago, art229 said:

Hey folks. Much like you all I’m anxiously waiting for results. I reached out to my POI last week to ask about when we should expect to hear final decisions and he responded that notifications dates change every year but he will look into it and get back to me (I’m imagining he’ll just wait for decisions to come out this week). I specifically applied to the SHIPS - history of Ed program, good luck to us all! 

Omg how close are you to your POI?

41 minutes ago, ChanceMartin said:

I'll stop lurking and add my info, in case it helps someone. My app status is still 'incomplete', and my submitted is 'yellow', not green; however, I have been in contact with a POI concerning intersections of our research interests. I made them quite plain throughout my app. In the emails he kept letting me know how things would be "if I decided to come to Stanford." VERY cryptic. Even when discussing an area that wasn't his expertise, he let me know what advisement with other professors would look like 'should I decided to come to Stanford" or "should I come to be a part of RILE." Could be a way of sounding hopeful? It did help calm some anxiety around the app status though.

Could you provide more details about how you have been in touch with your POI? Did he or you reach out? Did you have an interview or did you only talk by email? Thank you ? 

3 minutes ago, crocophil said:

Omg how close are you to your POI?

We began communication in September and touched based a few times eventually meeting over Zoom for what I assume was an informal interview in late November haha. He was very supportive throughout the application process and reassured me I could ask him whatever I was curious about, so I figured checking-in regarding decisions wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

2 minutes ago, art229 said:

We began communication in September and touched based a few times eventually meeting over Zoom for what I assume was an informal interview in late November haha. He was very supportive throughout the application process and reassured me I could ask him whatever I was curious about, so I figured checking-in regarding decisions wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

Wow... that’s amazing... ?

1 minute ago, crocophil said:

Wow... that’s amazing... ?

It’s both a blessing and a curse! I’ve tried not to read into our communication because the POI assured me they were meeting with other students as well. I’m sure most POI’s maintain positive relationships with the prospective students who contact them because they won’t know who actually receives an admit

12 minutes ago, EvolvedGradBlog said:

For what it's worth, admission decisions were released on February 15th, 2019 at 3:30pm for the 2019 entering class. A friday. 

Hi Jeremy. Can you shed any insight about their interviews? It seems by leaving it open ended there is a lot of confusion/anxiety on the part of the applicants (myself included : ) Thank you. 

Edited by FreeZapata

9 minutes ago, EvolvedGradBlog said:

For what it's worth, admission decisions were released on February 15th, 2019 at 3:30pm for the 2019 entering class. A friday. 

Hey Jeremy, just checked out your blog. It's really good! Wish I'd seen it earlier in the admissions process, but oh well. 

I am presently operating under the assumption I won't be getting in this year (no contact from POI/GSE, and if I'm being honest with myself, I could use a bit more seasoning). What would you suggest for somebody planning on re-applying in terms of building a profile for the following year? For example, I've got a bit of research experience but I don't have any pubs, is that a semi-expectation for programs as competitive as the Stanford GSE? Any help would be highly appreciated!

7 minutes ago, Blane said:

Hey Jeremy, just checked out your blog. It's really good! Wish I'd seen it earlier in the admissions process, but oh well. 

I am presently operating under the assumption I won't be getting in this year (no contact from POI/GSE, and if I'm being honest with myself, I could use a bit more seasoning). What would you suggest for somebody planning on re-applying in terms of building a profile for the following year? For example, I've got a bit of research experience but I don't have any pubs, is that a semi-expectation for programs as competitive as the Stanford GSE? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Which program are you applying to? I think that SHIPS/DAPS folks weight prior research experience more heavily than CTE. My advice around being competitive alway includes a lot of attention to being unique. In regards to research experience, it's not so much the experience itself that makes the difference, it's the exposure that you had to cutting-edge ideas as a member of a lab.  With these top (GSE) programs, they're extremely interested in hearing your particular perspective about the state of contemporary education, and gaps in knowledge that you'd like to fill. If you want me to expand on this, I'm glad to.

43 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

Hi Jeremy. Can you shed any insight about their interviews? It seems by leaving it open ended there is a lot of confusion/anxiety on the part of the applicants (myself included : ) Thank you. 

What would you like to know, in particular? I don't think that most Master's students have interviews, but most PhD students do interview, often with one or two POI/Faculty.

4 minutes ago, EvolvedGradBlog said:

Which program are you applying to? I think that SHIPS/DAPS folks weight prior research experience more heavily than CTE. My advice around being competitive alway includes a lot of attention to being unique. In regards to research experience, it's not so much the experience itself that makes the difference, it's the exposure that you had to cutting-edge ideas as a member of a lab.  With these top (GSE) programs, they're extremely interested in hearing your particular perspective about the state of contemporary education, and gaps in knowledge that you'd like to fill. If you want me to expand on this, I'm glad to.

Interesting. So you mean they are hoping that you might be able to identify a research question that is right on the forefront of educational research, and whether you have or have't published is less important to your proposal and how you are qualified to address it. Something like that? Would definitely like to hear you expand on this, thanks!

I'm applying to SHIPS, International Comparative Education. I have solid experience in education in the region of focus of one of my POI, a masters and some decent RA experience all converging around their area of interest. I feel that my shortcoming might be, at least on paper, some of the hard skills (quant, mainly) that are a big part of their research. 

13 minutes ago, EvolvedGradBlog said:

What would you like to know, in particular? I don't think that most Master's students have interviews, but most PhD students do interview, often with one or two POI/Faculty.

I was wondering if the faculty that does the interviewing is typically the one you are assigned as your advisor? Since I listed three POI but only heard back/interviewed with one I'm a bit confused how (advisors) are matched with potential students. Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it. CTE PhD Applicant.

Edited by FreeZapata

It is my opinion that Stanford, at the PhD level, is highly focused on developing researchers who will be leaders in the field. Researchers often gain notoriety based on the quality of questions that guide their research. You can become a leading researcher if you've never worked in a lab, but it would be very hard to become a leading researcher without the ability to come up with relevant, interesting questions to study. You have to demonstrate your ability to formulate questions in your application.

2 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

I was wondering if the faculty that does the interviewing is typically the one you are assigned as your advisor? Since I listed three POI but only heard back/interviewed with one I'm a bit confused how (advisors) are matched with potential students. Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it. CTE PhD Applicant.

My understanding is that many(many) people apply, many are tossed out, and there's a remaining smaller pile. The remaining smaller pile goes to professors, based on subject area and specific mention. If a professor contacts you, that means that they chose your application packet out of the pile. After the interview, they report back a "yes" or "no" on the candidate. If you're a "yes", that means " I would recommend this person for admission and I'd like to work with them". The list of "recommend for admission" or " do not recommend" then goes back to admissions, who builds the cohort. 

1 minute ago, EvolvedGradBlog said:

My understanding is that many(many) people apply, many are tossed out, and there's a remaining smaller pile. The remaining smaller pile goes to professors, based on subject area and specific mention. If a professor contacts you, that means that they chose your application packet out of the pile. After the interview, they report back a "yes" or "no" on the candidate. If you're a "yes", that means " I would recommend this person for admission and I'd like to work with them". The list of "recommend for admission" or " do not recommend" then goes back to admissions, who builds the cohort. 

Yes agreed - also largely dependent on whether your chosen supervisors have space/funding to take you on and from my interview, it seemed important that the research is aligned to the POI.

Also I got the impression that even if the professor would nominate you, it depends on what the department says? I didn't understand what they meant be this and wish I asked more. Assume funding?? 

Edited by gvjcb1000000

Just now, gvjcb1000000 said:

Yes agreed - also largely dependent on whether your chosen supervisors have space/funding to take you on and from my interview, I seemed important that the research is aligned to the POI 

Funding for years 1 and 2 comes from the university, so that's not a professor-level issue, in most cases.

Hello guys!! Has any of you received an acceptance letter from the Stanford school of education? 
I applied to the SHIPS (RILE) program and although I haven't gotten any answer my application website changed and it says: 
CertiFile® (Certified Credentials Attachment Service)
Certified credentials can be ordered from the school(s) below:

(Names of my undergrad universities.)

Like is asking me to submit official transcripts?
I don't know
I'm nervous,
do you think it means something?