Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

4 minutes ago, fliss59 said:

Thanks for sharing! I have been working for 8 years after graduating with my masters in 2014, so I am up there in age as well and wonder how that will affect me, too. I am a teacher and have a three year old, so this feels kind of like my last chance before giving up on this particular dream. 

Knowing that we're in the same boat made me so happy! I have a toddler, too, and have been feeling the same way.

13 minutes ago, fliss59 said:

So I've been silently reading all of these replies, and I just feel compelled to echo what so many of you have said. I, too, am among those of you who keep refreshing the applyweb page as though something is magically going to change without any indication that it would have, and am anxiously holding my breath this week as it seems that results will be coming soon! 

I want to echo the kind words that have been said: you all seem like phenomenal people and educators, and I will be thrilled if I get to meet you all as part of my cohort in the fall (dare I hope for in-person?). This agonizing process with absolutely no word (I admit, I'm a bit discouraged not to have heard back from POIs, etc) has been made more bearable by scrolling through this thread. Good luck to all, and I'll be happy to see your names light up green on the "results" page even if mine does not! 

Likewise, please do share if you were accepted because it would be amazing to see good news and you are all so lovely :) 

13 minutes ago, fliss59 said:

Thanks for sharing! I have been working for 8 years after graduating with my masters in 2014, so I am up there in age as well and wonder how that will affect me, too. I am a teacher and have a three year old, so this feels kind of like my last chance before giving up on this particular dream. 

Thank you for sharing @fliss59. Please continue to dream big where ever life may find you. This is my first time applying but I have already decided to apply a second time if things don't work out this round. I usually never get things on the first try and I don't see why this would be different : ) 

In high school I failed my exit exams at least three times before finally passing. I graduated in 2008 around the time the Housing Market tanked and brought the whole economy down with it. I applied to more teaching jobs than I can imagine without any luck for about two years with zero replies. Even Target and Panda Express said "no thank you". After much struggle I moved to a tiny farming town where I fell in love with teaching and finally caught a break. 

After many years I was able to find something closer to home with my family in a big city. Last week I got a call from my district. I was surprised to hear I have won Teacher of The Year 2021. Please don't ever let one door be the only path forward. I am happy to have come this far and would love to go even further in the future.

Edited by FreeZapata

1 hour ago, FreeZapata said:

Thank you for sharing @fliss59. Please continue to dream big where ever life may find you. This is my first time applying but I have already decided to apply a second time if things don't work out this round. I usually never get things on the first try and I don't see why this would be different : ) 

In high school I failed my exit exams at least three times before finally passing. I graduated in 2008 around the time the Housing Market tanked and brought the whole economy down with it. I applied to more teaching jobs than I can imagine without any luck for about two years with zero replies. Even Target and Panda Express said "no thank you". After much struggle I moved to a tiny farming town where I fell in love with teaching and finally caught a break. 

After many years I was able to find something closer to home with my family in a big city. Last week I got a call from my district. I was surprised to hear I have won Teacher of The Year 2021. Please don't ever let one door be the only path forward. I am happy to have come this far and would love to go even further in the future.

Congrats Teacher of the Year !! that's amazing 

On 2/9/2021 at 8:26 AM, Tororo said:

Hello guys!! Has any of you received an acceptance letter from the Stanford school of education? 
I applied to the SHIPS (RILE) program and although I haven't gotten any answer my application website changed and it says: 
CertiFile® (Certified Credentials Attachment Service)
Certified credentials can be ordered from the school(s) below:

(Names of my undergrad universities.)

Like is asking me to submit official transcripts?
I don't know
I'm nervous,
do you think it means something? 

Only those admitted will be asked for official transcripts. I'm sure I read that somewhere on the website. Feel free to go back and double check. :)

Good morning guys?

For the last weeks my every morning starts with reading and re-reading this forum (all the new messages that are written overnight + previous as well).

So, as somebody said here earlier, PhDs will know the results by Feb 13..Today is morning of Feb 10th..so 3 more days to wait...?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

6 hours ago, FreeZapata said:

Congratulations on the award ???

11 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Yes. I also was thinking about my age because I am older than normal PhD candidates. Then i went to Stanford GSE site and checked stats. Then i saw average age 54 I guess (may be mistaken with exact numbers now but the point is there are older applicants admitted) so that calmed me down. But aside my age issue I was thinking: 1) is my essay good at all, 2) my GPA is not high at all, 3) I am coming from a wired region, 4) what if there is no.match between the profs that I mentioned in my essay and their real interests, 5) what if my SOP has not been read at all, by anyone, 6) seats are limited due to covid..

And those thoughts have been rolling in my head for the last 2 months..

Hi, Jeanne. Can you share with us the link where we can check these graduate student profiles? 

I can see applicants from other fields (mostly computer science) wondering about anyone being accepted without an interview. I also read my SoP again and wondered if a professor reading it would understand my context. I really want the results to be out so that I can pick up my pieces and move on.

11 hours ago, ngdt said:

And I got my BA in 2006, my MA in 2011. My MA was actually in ICE, but I've pivoted to Education Data Science (EDS) in recent years. Speaking of EDS, I heard that Stanford was expecting a lot of applications for EDS this year. I'm surprised that I've only come across 2-3 EDS applicants on this forum.

I applied to a masters in EDS and yeah, it does seem odd that I haven't come across that many users on this forum who've applied to this program. But given how competitive admissions is (in general) this year and the Program's unique focus on data analysis, I have no doubt that there's a lot of applicants out there who are interested in this field of study. 

As an applicant who's trying to pivot into Education (degree-wise, I come from a non-Education background and in terms of my professional background, I don't have experience in teaching either... and strictly speaking, I haven't been in professions that make solid use of data analysis in my day-to-day job...), I'm quite anxious as to how the admissions committee will evaluate my applications, but I've decided to give myself a pat on the back for the effort I've put into this work and practice self-love :) , which has helped me get through constant anxiety and fear that I've been struggling to keep under control for weeks now :)

I know it's hard to maintain composure when you hear that others have been contacted by their POIs or have been invited to interviews, but please try not to beat yourself up. You've given it your best shot :) and you should give yourself more credit for mustering the courage to send in your applications!

2 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I can see applicants from other fields (mostly computer science) wondering about anyone being accepted without an interview. I also read my SoP again and wondered if a professor reading it would understand my context. I really want the results to be out so that I can pick up my pieces and move on.

Yes..can relate to re-reading SOP.

But also, with regards to interviews...such a coincidence! Because I also have just got to Stanford GSE official website, FAQ section, to read again with regards to interviews and to make sure that interview is not a required part of selection.

So, sitting at this section of their website right now and reading that, to confirm again for myself, and to calm myself down.

46 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Yes..can relate to re-reading SOP.

But also, with regards to interviews...such a coincidence! Because I also have just got to Stanford GSE official website, FAQ section, to read again with regards to interviews and to make sure that interview is not a required part of selection.

So, sitting at this section of their website right now and reading that, to confirm again for myself, and to calm myself down.

I checked out conversations from 2020 and 2019 application cycles. All of them say that professors always seek out candidates they are interested in for a quick conversation. But I really want to believe otherwise.

Just now, Toyo said:

I checked out conversations from 2020 and 2019 application cycles. All of them say that professors always seek out candidates they are interested in for a quick conversation. But I really want to believe otherwise.

OMG. Well...i do not know what to say ? I supposed that...

I just think that I have to admit my situation and to be morally ready for rejection..that is what I have to do being honest with myself.

Just now, Jeanne A. said:

OMG. Well...i do not know what to say ? I supposed that...

I just think that I have to admit my situation and to be morally ready for rejection..that is what I have to do being honest with myself.

It’s not really about being honest with ourself at this point because all we are participating in are conjectures. We don’t really know anything. We are just tempering ourselves in case the result is not favorable. 

2 minutes ago, Toyo said:

It’s not really about being honest with ourself at this point because all we are participating in are conjectures. We don’t really know anything. We are just tempering ourselves in case the result is not favorable. 

Well, yes...and for me what is also very important is the next stage after the decision letter is received: in case it is rejection I have to be able to accept that without seeing the world and my life in black colors. This is my personal thing though..I know I have to be mentally ready to accept without blaming myself for not being good enough...again, it s just my personal thing I think...

15 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Well, yes...and for me what is also very important is the next stage after the decision letter is received: in case it is rejection I have to be able to accept that without seeing the world and my life in black colors. This is my personal thing though..I know I have to be mentally ready to accept without blaming myself for not being good enough...again, it s just my personal thing I think...

I am the same! I mentally prepare myself for even something as simple as stepping out of the house. Rejections are a huge blow to me. Don't know why though. Have seen enough by now. Anyhow, I get your point. 

I also read that at times candidates get rejected because their PoI is busy or is going on a sabbatical. Nothing is in our hands after we have sent in the applications.

4 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I am the same! I mentally prepare myself for even something as simple as stepping out of the house. Rejections are a huge blow to me. Don't know why though. Have seen enough by now. Anyhow, I get your point. 

I also read that at times candidates get rejected because their PoI is busy or is going on a sabbatical. Nothing is in our hands after we have sent in the applications.

Yes...just to continue with this "mental preparaton" a little bit.. again, I am talking here just about myself..you know there is no reason to.prepare for admission, I mean you get admitted, of course full of surprise, tears of happiness, shouting out loudly, informing parents and family and friends, energy and positivity - just the way it is shown in youtube "admission reaction videos".  And then life goes as one planned, getting ready for the study, ets.

But in case of rejection it is different. I know it will take time for me to process the situation. And also, since I did not tell any one about my application, in case of rejection I will stay with that rejection face to face, on my own, and will need to process that within myself, without sharing with anyone.

Well, I hope you understand what I mean: we all are sending applications not to get rejected, but to be admitted. So, being rejected will hurt anyway. So for me personally at this stage it's important to accept the reality

1) without feeling bad about myself.

2) without blaming myself

3) seeing future without Stanford PhD

2 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Yes...just to continue with this "mental preparaton" a little bit.. again, I am talking here just about myself..you know there is no reason to.prepare for admission, I mean you get admitted, of course full of surprise, tears of happiness, shouting out loudly, informing parents and family and friends, energy and positivity - just the way it is shown in youtube "admission reaction videos".  And then life goes as one planned, getting ready for the study, ets.

But in case of rejection it is different. I know it will take time for me to process the situation. And also, since I did not tell any one about my application, in case of rejection I will stay with that rejection face to face, on my own, and will need to process that within myself, without sharing with anyone.

Well, I hope you understand what I mean: we all are sending applications not to get rejected, but to be admitted. So, being rejected will hurt anyway. So for me personally at this stage it's important to accept the reality

1) without feeling bad about myself.

2) without blaming myself

3) seeing future without Stanford PhD

Sounds like a mature outlook. 2-3 days to go.

Hey, I'm SURE I'm not the only person compulsively checking their email for any indication from Stanford. I recently set up notifications JUST for the admissions department to notify me on my phone for peace of mind. If anyone is interested in also doing that, here's the article I used for reference:

https://www.howtogeek.com/208904/how-to-only-get-notifications-for-emails-you-care-about-on-your-iphone/

1 minute ago, crocophil said:

Are you all going to read your decision email immediately? I think I will first read what people post and say on this forum before looking at the email ?

Well...I was thinking about that..I think I will have some tea before opening the email.. I don't have any idea what's behind this particular choice of mine ???‍♀️seems like there is no particular logic??‍♀️but this is how I imagine the situation for myself..

But why you decided to read the posts first, prior to reading your decision? Any logic? Please share, may be i will follow your example☺