Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

2 minutes ago, Tororo said:

Hello guys!! Has any of you received an acceptance letter from the Stanford school of education? 
I applied to the SHIPS (RILE) program and although I haven't gotten any answer my application website changed and it says: 
CertiFile® (Certified Credentials Attachment Service)
Certified credentials can be ordered from the school(s) below:

(Names of my undergrad universities.)

Like is asking me to submit official transcripts?
I don't know
I'm nervous,
do you think it means something? 

Have you been contacted by any professors? have you had any interviews?

7 minutes ago, Tororo said:

Hello guys!! Has any of you received an acceptance letter from the Stanford school of education? 
I applied to the SHIPS (RILE) program and although I haven't gotten any answer my application website changed and it says: 

I don't know
I'm nervous,

My file changed to show that specific page about 1 month ago. I think it might just be the system updating itself. It's a great question though I would have thought something similar. 

Edited by FreeZapata

11 minutes ago, Tororo said:

I don't know
I'm nervous,

I saw while I was completing/after I submitted my application that I can order something called “Certified Credentials Attachment Service” through “Certifile.” Is this a requirement? No, ordering a Certifile credential certification is not a requirement. Similar to WES evaluations, Certifile is a credential certification and evaluation service that integrates with our CollegeNet/ApplyWeb system to certify credentials and provide the evaluation directly for us to see in the system. As long as you have an English translation of your transcripts (and the transcripts in the original language if they are from foreign institutions), you have met our transcript requirement and do not need to order a Certifile. Under very rare circumstances will we ask that you please send us a credential evaluation such as Certifile - rest assured that we will reach out to you to do this and if you do not hear anything from us, know that we do not need this from you. 

Source: Stanford GSE FAQ

37 minutes ago, EvolvedGradBlog said:

My understanding is that many(many) people apply, many are tossed out, and there's a remaining smaller pile. The remaining smaller pile goes to professors, based on subject area and specific mention. If a professor contacts you, that means that they chose your application packet out of the pile. After the interview, they report back a "yes" or "no" on the candidate. If you're a "yes", that means " I would recommend this person for admission and I'd like to work with them". The list of "recommend for admission" or " do not recommend" then goes back to admissions, who builds the cohort. 

I've spoken to a few current SGSE students who were accepted without an interview so I don't think that is necessarily a prerequisite to admittance. POI preference drives interviews IMO

1 minute ago, crocophil said:

I saw while I was completing/after I submitted my application that I can order something called “Certified Credentials Attachment Service” through “Certifile.” Is this a requirement? No, ordering a Certifile credential certification is not a requirement. Similar to WES evaluations, Certifile is a credential certification and evaluation service that integrates with our CollegeNet/ApplyWeb system to certify credentials and provide the evaluation directly for us to see in the system. As long as you have an English translation of your transcripts (and the transcripts in the original language if they are from foreign institutions), you have met our transcript requirement and do not need to order a Certifile. Under very rare circumstances will we ask that you please send us a credential evaluation such as Certifile - rest assured that we will reach out to you to do this and if you do not hear anything from us, know that we do not need this from you. 

Source: Stanford GSE FAQ

Thank you so much!! 

3 hours ago, crocophil said:

Could you provide more details about how you have been in touch with your POI? Did he or you reach out? Did you have an interview or did you only talk by email? Thank you ? 

I made initial contact a few months ago. He contacted me quite a few weeks later saying that we should touch base about possible intersections/connection 'should I decide to come.' There has been no formal 'interview,' although we have discussed potential research topics. (Not sure what other questions would be asked).

(For what its worth, I had a fellowship before applying, so our contact is purely on interest. I'm not necessarily depending on a prof to have available funding).

I can't wait to stop thinking about this nonstop since the application was submitted. I really hope the statement that interviews are no indication of increased or decreased chances (though that doesn't seem likely) is true. This has been an emotional rollercoaster, even though it really shouldn't be since it is such a difficult program to get into. Getting rejected is not reflection of one's merit or ability to succeed in that program. I know that so many great candidates that would have flourished get turned away simply due to timing, funding, reasons beyond our control. Time sure is slower now than I have ever experienced it. Praying for success for us all!

Edited by RILE Hopeful

1 hour ago, Toyo said:

Interview or not! Sigh! Too late for that! Let’s not think about it anymore! Decisions will be taken without any new (or just any in my case) input from applicants. Only 4 days to go! 

Yes..we cannot do anything at this stage..just wait..?????it was so great to read the chatting that took place here overnight..It is so cool to know that there are people over the globe who feel just the same like me..???

Hi guys...i saw somebody wrote that cool message on the results page, like "join us, we are all there".. that was sooooooo...kind of warm!

And it so much felt like we are all here not virtually but the real people sitting in one small waiting room, drinking coffee with cookies, waiting together, sharing emotions and chatting..

I told this earlier but again..I can feel how cool it would be to get admitted and to meet all of you guys in reality.. you are the people I really need in my life: professionals in education, who have similar goals, similar aspirations and similar vibes...

Good luck to all of us...???

(applied to SHIPS edu policy)

Just now, Jeanne A. said:

Hi guys...i saw somebody wrote that cool message on the results page, like "join us, we are all there".. that was sooooooo...kind of warm!

And it so much felt like we are all here not virtually but the real people sitting in one small waiting room, drinking coffee with cookies, waiting together, sharing emotions and chatting..

I told this earlier but again..I can feel how cool it would be to get admitted and to meet all of you guys in reality.. you are the people I really need in my life: professionals in education, who have similar goals, similar aspirations and similar vibes...

I totally felt the same thing @Jeanne A.That was a really cool way to invite other people into this small but very supportive community. I like the way you described this virtual space with such clarity and little details. I think you captured it perfectly. I appreciate how everyone on this forum is super chill, supportive, and wishing the other person success. I would be honored to be part of a class with anyone on here. This is by far one of the most kind and sincere online communities I have encountered. Thank you all.

May The Force Be With YOU!

47 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

I was just thinking how to say this. This is our cohort so come here and be supported.

9 hours ago, art229 said:

Hey folks. Much like you all I’m anxiously waiting for results. I reached out to my POI last week to ask about when we should expect to hear final decisions and he responded that notifications dates change every year but he will look into it and get back to me (I’m imagining he’ll just wait for decisions to come out this week). I specifically applied to the SHIPS - history of Ed program, good luck to us all! 

OMG! Now I regret not reaching out to my PoI. I thought of writing to him last week when the wait just became so unnerving but thought it might be too late to write to him AAAARRRGH! 
 BTW, Is anyone else applying to SHIPS Anthro? 

Edited by ravenguardia

CertiFile is an external, add-on service that you can opt for to have you non-American degrees authenticated by paying a steep fee! They transcribe your grades/degree to a US equivalent grading/ranking scheme. If you have uploaded scanned copies of your original transcripts, that should suffice. Anyone who's applying to any of Stanford's programme will see that CertiFile message, you can disregard it. I don't think a PhD application necessitates grades to be matched to the standardised/American grading system. 

6 hours ago, Tororo said:

I don't know
I'm nervous,

Edited by ravenguardia

3 hours ago, Toyo said:

Interview or not! Sigh! Too late for that! Let’s not think about it anymore! Decisions will be taken without any new (or just any in my case) input from applicants. Only 4 days to go! 

Yes..

And wanted to add: I just went back to my SOP..I read it very carefully and slowly several times:

1) as myself first (i mean, from my perspective and knowing all my feelings//all my prof experience behind the typed words)..

Then i read it 2) as if I am a stranger, a person who does know me at all,

and then as a 3) Stanford GSE professor or admission officer or whoever reads our SOPs and make decisions on whether to admit the author of that particular SOP, or not..

And you know, after reading my SOP today, I can say just one thing with million % accuracy: I wrote the best essay I could, taking into account 1) Stanford GSE requirements towards SOP, 2) my prof and academic experience, 3) my goals, 4) my reasons why I need this particular degree. 

I mean, I cannot as people say "jump above my head" meaning i cannot write my SOP better, for the moment, being who I am, having my experience, and envisioning the match between Stanford GSE and my goals as I see it now.

You know, surprisingly, this calmed me down. I mean, I cannot be better/more briliant/smarter/more intelligent person than I am now.

After reading my essay I see that in my SOP I have nothing to add, or change. I literally produced the best intellectual product I could.

Therefore, I do not worry any more, since I faced the real situation: this is the best I can produce, and if this is not what Stanford needs/thinks it is not good enough - I am powerless here, and have nothing to do.

And also, I made 1000000% decision: if I am not admitted, I am not re-applying to either this program or any other. I do something else (already have an idea abt my new direction, which is by the way totally different). I mean, I realized now that there is no sence in breaking the wall with my head. I did my very best, I wrote my best essay ever. And I cannot do any better in this particular direction..

I was rummaging through my PI's profile on the staff directory and realised that all his current advisees are those who have a Master's in the same field as him [Economics] which makes me wonder if he will accept students who don't have an Econs degree. This is despite his research interests being spread across diverse fields. 
On another note though, WOULD IT KILL THEM TO GIVE US A TIMELINE/UPDATE ON THE APPLICATION STATUS?!! Sigh! 

Edited by ravenguardia

2 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Yes..

And wanted to add: I just went back to my SOP..I read it very carefully and slowly several times:

1) as myself first (i mean, from my perspective and knowing all my feelings//all my prof experience behind the typed words)..

Then i read it 2) as if I am a stranger, a person who does know me at all,

and then as a 3) Stanford GSE professor or admission officer or whoever reads our SOPs and make decisions on whether to admit the author of that particular SOP, or not..

And you know, after reading my SOP today, I can say just one thing with million % accuracy: I wrote the best essay I could, taking into account 1) Stanford GSE requirements towards SOP, 2) my prof and academic experience, 3) my goals, 4) my reasons why I need this particular degree. 

I mean, I cannot as people say "jump above my head" meaning i cannot write my SOP better, for the moment, being who I am, having my experience, and envisioning the match between Stanford GSE and my goals as I see it now.

You know, surprisingly, this calmed me down. I mean, I cannot be better/more briliant/smarter/more intelligent person than I am now.

After reading my essay I see that in my SOP I have nothing to add, or change. I literally produced the best intellectual product I could.

Therefore, I do not worry any more, since I faced the real situation: this is the best I can produce, and if this is not what Stanford needs/thinks it is not good enough - I am powerless here, and have nothing to do.

And also, I made 1000000% decision: if I am not admitted, I am not re-applying to either this program or any other. I do something else (already have an idea abt my new direction, which is by the way totally different). I mean, I realized now that there is no sence in breaking the wall with my head. I did my very best, I wrote my best essay ever. And I cannot do any better in this particular direction..

It’s good that you are happy with the effort you put in. I think I am also just focusing on that. I haven’t made any backup plans or thought of a new direction as of now. Will probably do that in March.

By the way, why there is limit for "likes" in here? I am not able to like all the messages here ? because there is certain limit ?

I know this is the minor thing about which I should think the least at this moment ??. In fact, i should not take care about this at all ?? but still... I would put little hearts to every message here ?

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

By the way, why there is limit for "likes" in here? I am not able to like all the messages here ? because there is certain limit ?

I know this is the minor thing about which I should think the least at this moment ??. In fact, i should not take care about this at all ?? but still... I would put little hearts to every message here ?

Yes there is a limitation of reactions you can do in a day :( 

Just left hearts everywhere and realised :D