Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

4 minutes ago, jk25 said:

This is just my opinion. I think it is an effective way of immediately communicating with the applicant, as well as receiving a reply from them; some may have already decided to pursue another programme. Or maybe POI just wants to touch base with their new cohort. 

Oh, I see..? Thank you!!!

On 2/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, FreeZapata said:

Things are so quiet in fact that I resorted to reading previous years Q&A's just to pass the time : )

Same here! I have been watching all GSE webinars. It is interesting that sometimes you gain new piece of information outside your own program webinar.

15 minutes ago, Toyo said:

History, English, and Classics results sent out today. The results page is full of rejection reports. So sad!

Yes, I just checked the updated (over this night) page, and in the comments they write that this year cohorts are smaller due to covid...

But also, I read the brief descriptions of the rejected candidates when they add them, and OMG all the candidates are great, with many years research, publications, good GPA etc..Compared to the excellent credentials of the rejected candidates, I am thinking of my application and well...I think mine looks so poor compared to theirs?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️????????????

Well, today is Saturday morning. 

One more week to wait...???

16 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Yes, I just checked the updated (over this night) page, and in the comments they write that this year cohorts are smaller due to covid...

But also, I read the brief descriptions of the rejected candidates when they add them, and OMG all the candidates are great, with many years research, publications, good GPA etc..Compared to the excellent credentials of the rejected candidates, I am thinking of my application and well...I think mine looks so poor compared to theirs?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️????????????

Well, today is Saturday morning. 

One more week to wait...???

Please take a look at this article, the most powerful part goes something like this:

His journey to the university began the day he watched a television interview with a Stanford admission officer who said she was especially impressed by candidates who had accomplished much with few resources.

At the time, Spyres was sitting in a prison cell in Illinois.

“I looked around my room and asked what resources do I have,” he recalled. “I have a pencil and an 8½ -by-11 writing pad. I have stamps and a prison library card.”

Full story linked below:

https://news.stanford.edu/today/2021/02/04/transfer-student-forging-new-life-path-stanford/

Edited by FreeZapata

I have no publications. I used to work in the k-12 publishing industry which made me a witness to the realities and struggles of education in developing countries. That’s why I decided to do another Master’s, this time in education. I had only 1 normal semester when COVID hit. And now I am here.

3 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

Please take a look at this article, the most powerful part goes something like this:

His journey to the university began the day he watched a television interview with a Stanford admission officer who said she was especially impressed by candidates who had accomplished much with few resources.

“I looked around my room and asked what resources do I have,” he recalled. “I have a pencil and an 8½ -by-11 writing pad. I have stamps and a prison library card.”

Full story linked below:

https://news.stanford.edu/today/2021/02/04/transfer-student-forging-new-life-path-stanford/

You are keeping us sane and maintaining our spirits with your posts. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

Full story linked below:

Thank you..the article is ????and very inspiring....Well....I do really hope that Stanford professors look at each application like that.

I am coming from a country (not ready to name it now) very corrupted, with autocracy regime where no research and no freedom of thought and freedom of word. Education system is destroyed. I did everything I could with the resources I had. I need the knowledge of SHIPS edu policy to be able to move on in here, to change the situation in my country. 

I am becoming very personal here..but anyway....Again..what is said in the article you sent - this is exactly what I hope for?

So thank you for giving some hope FreeZapata??

17 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I have no publications. I used to work in the k-12 publishing industry which made me a witness to the realities and struggles of education in developing countries. That’s why I decided to do another Master’s, this time in education. I had only 1 normal semester when COVID hit. And now I am here.

Well honestly, my GPA is not great at all and I think they may consider this as negative factor. But my professional experience demonstrates that I did a lot. Not sure if that is important for them. And one more thing I worry about is that whether I wrote in my SOP the professors who will be willing to work with me at all...

6 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Well honestly, my GPA is not great at all and I think they may consider this as negative factor. But my professional experience demonstrates that I did a lot. Not sure if that is important for them. And one more thing I worry about is that whether I wrote in my SOP the professors who will be willing to work with me at all...

27 minutes ago, Toyo said:

You must try things that may not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul.

Ratatouille (2007) a quote from one of my all time favorite movies.

Edited by FreeZapata

Just now, FreeZapata said:

You must try things that may not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul.

Ratatouille (2007) a quote from one of my all time favorite movies.

Thank you???....

? and once again....i am thinking how great it would be to get admitted, and to meet you all guys in reality, in person..you all are so cool? i do not know if you understand me..but one more thing that I was looking for at Stanford is the people who have similar interests like me(education policy/edu issues) and who are on the same vibrations!!! And even being in this little forum and having very limited communication with you I can still see that those who are here, who applied to Stanford GSE - are those people my soul was longing for..

Here in my country we all are kind of imprisoned intellectually, and i feel very lonely here; and was so much looking forward to exchange ideas and thoughts with the great people from Stanford PhD cohort..?????

Well guys, i just remembered: i read earlier (somewhere here it was written) that the decisions are made by faculty by the first week of Feb, and then for the second week of Feb they are sent for approval, and after that (by the end of the second week of Feb) the decisions are released (you probably also seen this, I do not remember where exactly I read it here, otherwise would copy a link here).

Anyway..why I am saying this? To calm myself, and probably you as well...Because it looks like all the decisions are already made by now (the end of the first week of Feb) and now it is only approval of the decisions which have already been made, and then just a technical thing - sending them out.

So, this makes me think that I do not have to worry any more about the selection & interviews (and to check my email hundred times a day whether I get an interview invitation or not), since they are over by now. What I am waiting for now is just a technical thing, i.e. when they send them out. This is it.

I mean, according to that post I saw earlier, the decisions are already made....this somehow calms down my nerves as I understand that there is nothing left to worry about..just wait when I get their ready decision..and that's it.

43 minutes ago, jk25 said:

How many more days before we get a reply? I can't bear it. Sheer torture.

2-5 days max from what I hear! I think I have attained enlightenment after weeks of tossing and turning. Anymore and I will attain sagehood. 

I just read through this and I assumed we would hear back in March but next week feels unnerving! I was emailed directly for an interview a few weeks ago but I don't think it went well, so we'll see. The professor just wanted to check if we would be a good fit since other people sent her my application (I did not originally list her).

Edited by gvjcb1000000

18 minutes ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

I just read through this and I assumed we would hear back in March but next week feels unnerving! I was emailed directly for an interview a few weeks ago but I don't think it went well, so we'll see. The professor just wanted to check if we would be a good fit since other people sent him my application (I did not originally list her).

Best of luck. Which program did you apply to? I think you have a good a chance as any. 

4 hours ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

I just read through this and I assumed we would hear back in March but next week feels unnerving! I was emailed directly for an interview a few weeks ago but I don't think it went well, so we'll see. The professor just wanted to check if we would be a good fit since other people sent her my application (I did not originally list her).

It is too early to worry. The fact that she called you is a hopeful sign!

On 2/6/2021 at 12:09 AM, Jeanne A. said:

Thank you..the article is ????and very inspiring....Well....I do really hope that Stanford professors look at each application like that.

I am coming from a country (not ready to name it now) very corrupted, with autocracy regime where no research and no freedom of thought and freedom of word. Education system is destroyed. I did everything I could with the resources I had. I need the knowledge of SHIPS edu policy to be able to move on in here, to change the situation in my country. 

I am becoming very personal here..but anyway....Again..what is said in the article you sent - this is exactly what I hope for?

So thank you for giving some hope FreeZapata??

I hope we get in together!