Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

The FAQs page says that interview is not a formal part of the process and the program page mentions that candidates might be contacted for an interview to acquire additional information. BUT, has anyone ever heard of someone being accepted at SGSE without an interview? With all this waiting time and my application status still incomplete, I am letting horses run wild in my head.

Edited by Toyo

1 hour ago, Toyo said:

The FAQs page says that interview is not a formal part of the process and the program page mentions that candidates might be contacted for an interview to acquire additional information. BUT, has anyone ever heard of someone being accepted at SGSE without an interview? With all this waiting time and my application status still incomplete, I am letting horses run wild in my head.

I've spoken to multiple, current SGSE students who said they were admitted without any interviews

On 1/25/2021 at 2:19 PM, ngdt said:

Is anyone still able to log back into their account? I used to be able to log in the same way I logged in to complete the application, but that link is no longer available. I'm asking because I sometimes see people saying they got their decision (not necessarily from Stanford) on the portal.

I am still able to log in.

Does anyone else's status still show as "submitted"? The people who are talking about their status being indicated as "complete" is giving me sleepless nights! Mine is still the same, and I was wondering too if I should contact the PoI. I did write to gradadmissions almost a month and a half back asking about this but never received a reply. 
BTW,  I'm applying to SHIPS anthropology/RILE.

1 hour ago, ravenguardia said:

Does anyone else's status still show as "submitted"? The people who are talking about their status being indicated as "complete" is giving me sleepless nights! Mine is still the same, and I was wondering too if I should contact the PoI. I did write to gradadmissions almost a month and a half back asking about this but never received a reply. 
BTW,  I'm applying to SHIPS

1 hour ago, ravenguardia said:

I see "submitted" on the main page, when I first log into the application. But when I click on "view checklist", I see "complete" under the application status. 

7 hours ago, ravenguardia said:

Mine is submitted but incomplete.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, Lara-55555 said:

Does anyone know if all admitted candidates have to be interviewed? Just wondering because their website says there is no formal interview process. Also, did anyone apply to SHIPS (specifically the ICE program)? 

Hi! Interviews are up to the faculty members, but generally an interview is a good indication that you've made it past a certain level of screening. I had my interview on 1/22, and the professor told me that they will likely be releasing decisions around 2/13. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, Lara-55555 said:

to those who have interview experience: what sort of questions are you asked? and how long does it the session last?

My interview was really short--only 15 minutes! I prepped by googling common PhD interview questions and drafting responses, and I was ready for it to take up to 30 minutes.

My impression was that the interview wanted to get a sense of why I wanted my PhD and what I planned on doing with it. Because the PhD cohort is going to be really small, I also got the sense that they were seeing if candidates would mesh well together. 

11 minutes ago, Bradley1234567 said:

Hi! Interviews are up to the faculty members, but generally an interview is a good indication that you've made it past a certain level of screening. I had my interview on 1/22, and the professor told me that they will likely be releasing decisions around 2/13. 

hey! Congrats on the interview opportunity! if you don't mind me asking, which program did you apply to? 

12 minutes ago, Bradley1234567 said:

Which program did you apply for?

16 minutes ago, Bradley1234567 said:

I am happy for you! I also applied to CTE: literacy but my application status is still incomplete so I am meditating in the dark. ?

Just now, Toyo said:

I am happy for you! I also applied to CTE: literacy but my application status is still incomplete so I am meditating in the dark. ?

Oof! That's the worst! The professor who interview me said that they have had a LOT more applications that usual this year. As the great Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Bradley1234567 said:

Oof! That's the worst! The professor who interview me said that they have had a LOT more applications that usual this year. As the great Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. Good luck!

Thank you!