Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

6 hours ago, fliss59 said:

Since they are not requiring the GRE this year, I think they just switched everyone's to "received" as in "this requirement is taken care of," kind of a computer/procedural thing.

Well, in my checklist it says "not applicable" for both GRE and TOEFL (I did not submit GRE but submitted TOEFL).. emailed them about that but there was no reply..

So..?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

54 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Well, in my checklist it says "not applicable" for both GRE and TOEFL (I did not submit GRE but submitted TOEFL).. emailed them about that but there was no reply..

So..?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

I didn’t submit GRE and TOEFL and mine says not applicable, which is okay. I mailed them to confirm that my application is fine even with the incomplete status, and got a standard reply about my mail being deleted if it covers something mentioned in FAQ. Ha! ha! I think they are swamped right now and have no time to check mails. 

3 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I didn’t submit GRE and TOEFL and mine says not applicable, which is okay. I mailed them to confirm that my application is fine even with the incomplete status, and got a standard reply about my mail being deleted if it covers something mentioned in FAQ. Ha! ha! I think they are swamped right now and have no time to check mails. 

? 

21 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

?

Honestly, Stanford's administration tend to not [needlessly] reply. I submitted 6 applications, and found their administration (as well as faculty) the least responsive. Honestly, I found this tendency somewhat uninspiring. But I suppose they are doing the best they can.  

52 minutes ago, jk25 said:

Honestly, Stanford's administration tend to not [needlessly] reply. I submitted 6 applications, and found their administration (as well as faculty) the least responsive. Honestly, I found this tendency somewhat uninspiring. But I suppose they are doing the best they can.  

Good morning! ? Somebody wrote earlier here that the results will be available around February 13..it is next Saturday..so, 8 more days to wait....?????

Hi guys ?...i've just looked through the results for the past day on GradCafe, since it's morning here and during the last three weeks I start every morning with checking GradCafe ?

So, I noticed that candidates who were admitted are notified either via phone or via email from POI, or via portal and official letter.

Do you have any idea why some candidates are notified via phone? Is that option for privileged ones? ?? I mean, for those who are the best from the best? 

Could you please let me know if you know the answer? Thank you! ?

And just a comment..in that GradCafe forum I have not seen any SHIPS edu policy candidates for fall 2021....?‍♀️ and no results from anyone from GSE for the last week..while there are so many candidates reporting from other programs...

I do not know what to think ?‍♀️????

10 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I am almost always here because compared to my application status this site has new posts. I think I have stared a hole into the Stanford applyweb page.

So sorry to hear, Toyo. That must be so frustrating. But given all the weird GRE/TOEFL status updates many of us are experiencing, I bet/hope your case is also just another systems error. What status do you see when you first log in, in the top right corner of the gray box? 

44 minutes ago, ngdt said:

So sorry to hear, Toyo. That must be so frustrating. But given all the weird GRE/TOEFL status updates many of us are experiencing, I bet/hope your case is also just another systems error. What status do you see when you first log in, in the top right corner of the gray box? 

I see a happy green submitted but in the checklist awaits a dull grey/gray incomplete.

Back in Fall 20 I attended their webinars. They hosted about 5 hour long ones in total ranging from all aspects of the application beginning to end. Any participant was able to ask questions live and the admissions officers were very through in answering questions. In addition, several current PhD students stopped by to go over things like SOP, POI, and Interviews. In addition, you can book a half hour-to hour sit down with an admissions officer to go over your application. 

I found these resources especially helpful and they really helped calm my nerves. All these outreach resources are on their website and they will be starting up again in May 2021 for the next admission Fall cycle. Best of luck to everyone. May the Force be With You.

16 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

Back in Fall 20 I attended their webinars. They hosted about 5 hour long ones in total ranging from all aspects of the application beginning to end. Any participant was able to ask questions live and the admissions officers were very through in answering questions. In addition, several current PhD students stopped by to go over things like SOP, POI, and Interviews. In addition, you can book a half hour-to hour sit down with an admissions officer to go over your application. 

I found these resources especially helpful and they really helped calm my nerves. All these outreach resources are on their website and they will be starting up again in May 2021 for the next admission Fall cycle. Best of luck to everyone. May the Force be With You.

I attended them as well! ?

3 hours ago, Toyo said:

I am almost always here because compared to my application status this site has new posts. I think I have stared a hole into the Stanford applyweb page.

I thought it's only me who goes to this page and to the results page like crazy, several times a day! ???

You know, I also go to Stanford admission page to check the requirements and to make sure that I meet all of them ????

They write that GPA is not important for PhD candidates, and they do not publish average GPAs of their current and former students...GRE was optional..and many did not submit it..

So, if they are not looking at GPA, and GPA is not an indicator for them....then it looks like they have to read all SOPs because SOP seems to be the main thing on which they are making their decision on admission?

The only thing I really want is them to read my SOP because I put all my heart and soul into it. It will be too sad if for any reason faculty do not even read my essay.

Also, thank God we have this group here where I can share my anxiety and worries because you are the only people who know about my application to Stanford PhD. Even my friends and family do not know that I applied because I did not tell them as did not want to be accused in being "too ambitious" and "flying in the sky" and "dreaming about unrealistic things" May be you shared with your friends and family your Stanford aspirations but I didn't ?‍♀️??‍♀️??

And one more thing..you know, I often imagine how the email with the decision comes, and how I open it, and I try to.imagine two reactions: what it will be if I am admitted, and what will be the other one, if not. But I am sure that my hands will be shivering when I will open that email...????????

And also, I think that after the results are known and I come here to this chat I will see some of you will write they are admitted.. OMG.

15 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

I thought it's only me who goes to this page and to the results page like crazy, several times a day! ???

You know, I also go to Stanford admission page to check the requirements and to make sure that I meet all of them ????

They write that GPA is not important for PhD candidates, and they do not publish average GPAs of their current and former students...GRE was optional..and many did not submit it..

So, if they are not looking at GPA, and GPA is not an indicator for them....then it looks like they have to read all SOPs because SOP seems to be the main thing on which they are making their decision on admission?

The only thing I really want is them to read my SOP because I put all my heart and soul into it. It will be too sad if for any reason faculty do not even read my essay.

Also, thank God we have this group here where I can share my anxiety and worries because you are the only people who know about my application to Stanford PhD. Even my friends and family do not know that I applied because I did not tell them as did not want to be accused in being "too ambitious" and "flying in the sky" and "dreaming about unrealistic things" May be you shared with your friends and family your Stanford aspirations but I didn't ?‍♀️??‍♀️??

And one more thing..you know, I often imagine how the email with the decision comes, and how I open it, and I try to.imagine two reactions: what it will be if I am admitted, and what will be the other one, if not. But I am sure that my hands will be shivering when I will open that email...????????

And also, I think that after the results are known and I come here to this chat I will see some of you will write they are admitted.. OMG.

You are such a charming person! I went awww so many times while reading this. I understand what you are going through! I am in America right now alone and although my closest friends and closest family members know about my Stanford dream, they are not around to help me get through this phase. I also got a few reactions of surprise when I applied but then I told them, "Yes, okay, it is an unrealistic dream so get started and pray to your Gods to make this miracle happen!" I don't pray so I got all of them to pray to cover all my bases. So what if the dream seems unrealistic? What's the point of realistic dreams? They can just be your to-do lists. I will dream whatever I want. From our interactions here, I can tell what a nice person you are and I am going to get behind you and support your dreams. Let's stay in touch no matter what happens. You dream your dream and then dream some more. 

Edited by Toyo
Typo

1 minute ago, Toyo said:

You are such a charming person! I went awww so many times while reading this. I understand what you are going through! I am in America right now alone and although my closest friends and closest family members know about my Stanford dream, they are not around to help me get through this phase. I also got a few reactions of surprise when I applied but then I told them, "Yes, okay, it is an unrealistic dream so get started and pray to your God's to make this miracle happen!" I don't pray so I got all of them to pray to cover all my bases. So what if the dream seems unrealistic? What's the point of realistic dreams? They can just be your to-do lists. I will dream whatever I want. From our interactions here, I can tell what a nice person you are and I am going to get behind you and support your dreams. Let's stay in touch no matter what happens. You dream your dream and then dream some more. 

??

11 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Hi guys ?...i've just looked through the results for the past day on GradCafe, since it's morning here and during the last three weeks I start every morning with checking GradCafe ?

So, I noticed that candidates who were admitted are notified either via phone or via email from POI, or via portal and official letter.

Do you have any idea why some candidates are notified via phone? Is that option for privileged ones? ?? I mean, for those who are the best from the best? 

Could you please let me know if you know the answer? Thank you! ?

This is just my opinion. I think it is an effective way of immediately communicating with the applicant, as well as receiving a reply from them; some may have already decided to pursue another programme. Or maybe POI just wants to touch base with their new cohort.