Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

32 minutes ago, jk25 said:

Definitely let us know the result. I will do the same. I really appreciate you guys on here!

By the way guys, I was watching Stanford admissions reactions last night in YouTube..there were mostly undergrads and GSB reactions...(and no PhD reactions by the way) and you know what ?? I decided to film my reaction too?? well if it is positive may be i even post it in YouTube as well??? and it will be the first Stanford GSE PhD reaction ????

Edited by Jeanne A.

11 hours ago, Toyo said:

2-5 days max from what I hear! I think I have attained enlightenment after weeks of tossing and turning. Anymore and I will attain sagehood. 

OMG i just wrote to jk25 that somebody mentioned here the results will be out by Feb 13, and you are saying they may be released even in two days, starting Wednesday??? It means that I will now be shivering and jumping every time I get an incoming mail!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed!!!!!! ???

1 minute ago, Jeanne A. said:

OMG i just wrote to jk25 that somebody mentioned here the results will be out by Feb 13, and you are saying they may be released even in two days, starting Wednesday??? It means that I will now be shivering and jumping every time I get an incoming mail!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed!!!!!! ???

Wow! so soon. Good luck everyone ❣️

11 hours ago, Toyo said:

2-5 days max from what I hear! I think I have attained enlightenment after weeks of tossing and turning. Anymore and I will attain sagehood. 

Hi there :) what is the 2-5 days based on? Did the department mention this or is it based on last year's results on gradcafe? I'm surprised (but love!) that it is so soon since I was told in the interview they received more applications than ever and it will take a while to process (but that I will hear by March). 

Best of luck with your application ❣️

Just now, Jeanne A. said:

Yeeees..and you know the closer is the decisions date, the more nervous I am. And I feel like my heart litetally shrinks of great fear, some hope, and the unknown ??????

Totally the same ? Would we just receive an email with an update? I read on the results board people got calls in 2019 but I imagine it is emails only this year?

6 minutes ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

Totally the same ? Would we just receive an email with an update? I read on the results board people got calls in 2019 but I imagine it is emails only this year?

Honestly, I have no idea.. I know though that my heart will be about to break when I get any email from Stanford next week???????

And one more thing:  it was interesting to read about what you were told during your interview! ??? does it mean that they are still selecting and there is still a chance to be invited to an interview? 

I mean we all here are just guessing abt when we get the results, but you were told that the results will be later by a Stanford person so this means that your info is more reliable and updated I guess ??

Edited by Jeanne A.

6 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Honestly, I have no idea.. I know though that my heart will be about to break when I get any email from Stanford next week???????

And one more thing:  it was interesting to read about what you were told during your interview! ??? does it mean that they are still selecting and there is still a chance to be invited to an interview? 

I mean we all here are just guessing abt when we get the results, but you were told that the results will be later by a Stanford person so this means that your info is more reliable and updated I guess ??

The sooner the better in my opinion :D hate the waiting!

The interview was only two weeks ago and it ended with being told that there were many applicants left to consider - so perhaps.

Will keep checking this thread/results board ?

Edited by gvjcb1000000

1 hour ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

True - I was told I'd hear back by March but I see we may all hear sooner! 

If the GSE professor told you we'll hear back by March then I think tempering our expectations of hearing back this week is warranted. We're making these assumptions based on past cycles, however, due to COVID and an increase in applicants I wouldn't be surprised if they are operating a bit behind the schedule of past cycles. 

On 2/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, Bradley1234567 said:

Hi! Interviews are up to the faculty members, but generally an interview is a good indication that you've made it past a certain level of screening. I had my interview on 1/22, and the professor told me that they will likely be releasing decisions around 2/13. 

Just saw this from someone else who had an interview ? might be different pathways but hopefully it's sooner versus later

4 hours ago, jk25 said:

I hope we get in together!

Hi again jk25 sorry I do not know whether you are a man or a woman...wanted to ask: did you have an interview? (sorry if you mentioned that earlier, I might forget this among all different nicks and a lot of info..

I do not know how men deal with stress. It's good I am a lady and can afford crying. Its 2.26 at night here. I was trying to fall asleep but could not keep all this stress inside me, so i went to the bathroom and was crying. And I cannot sleep at all. I mean, i do want to sleep (my body) but my mind, my head is thinking over and over. 

I think that the fact that I did not have an interview diminishes my chances so much.

And it looks like there is no way that I will get asleep tonight, and the coming nights....

After many webinars, youtube channels, and forums the very best advice I got was from the GSE website itself. This  small article is only 3 pages long but there is sooooo much to breakdown. You would need to really pick out all the little clues they are giving you. Here are the main points that forced me to think if GSE is the right place for me at this moment in time. It could very well be that I need to grow more before I give it another shot. But I think it's important to not give up on yourself regardless of the outcome:

"The statement should be narrowly focused on convincing the intended reader – i.e., a professor at GSE who teaches in the program to which you are applying – that you have a serious and well-considered purpose in applying to that program. A compelling statement will convince the reader that you are the kind of student likely to thrive in the program to which you are admitted and who would contribute to (and not merely benefit from) our academic community. Too often, statements of purpose are poorly focused, vaguely autobiographical essays, in which case they become inadvertent disclosures of purposelessness.

The reader of your file will make a judgment about whether you merit admission on the basis of many considerations, and your file will include much material including your transcripts, what your referees say about you, etc., that reveal your academic and other accomplishments. There is no harm in mentioning a particular accomplishment in passing in your statement when this is relevant to explaining your purpose in applying to the program. But statements go astray once the author assumes that his or her purpose is to persuade the reader that he or she is highly qualified for admission. Remember that we will be quick to deny admission if we have insufficient evidence that the candidate is well-suited to the program by virtue of his or her interests and ambitions, regardless of how intellectually well qualified the applicant might be. The statement of purpose is usually the only part of the applicant’s file where one can find strong evidence of whether the program will really mesh with the applicant’s interests and ambitions. If you devote the statement to a list of the things, the great things you have done, then you will merely exasperate the reader.

When your file is being read by members of the faculty, it will be reading it alongside many other files, and they will typically be reading under severe time constraints. People tend not to be especially tolerant of verbosity under these circumstances, to put it mildly. If your reader has evidence that you will take ten words to say something that another, equally qualified candidate will say in six, you might well find that the other candidate will be preferred over you."

Good luck to everyone here. The hardest part of the application is sometimes the waiting. But you've already come this far. 

Edited by FreeZapata

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

Hi again jk25 sorry I do not know whether you are a man or a woman...wanted to ask: did you have an interview? (sorry if you mentioned that earlier, I might forget this among all different nicks and a lot of info..

I do not know how men deal with stress. It's good I am a lady and can afford crying. Its 2.26 at night here. I was trying to fall asleep but could not keep all this stress inside me, so i went to the bathroom and was crying. And I cannot sleep at all. I mean, i do want to sleep (my body) but my mind, my head is thinking over and over. 

I think that the fact that I did not have an interview diminishes my chances so much.

And it looks like there is no way that I will get asleep tonight, and the coming nights....

Hi @Jeanne A. I just wanted to day that you did the hard part, submitting the application. What happens, happens. Results might be Friday but also could be a few weeks away, so regardless of the waiting and anxiety, give yourself a clap (or what I love to do, play your favourite songs and dance it out) for doing the hard part (the only part you could control).  Focus your attention on congratulating yourself for being brave enough to have applied and for throwing yourself out there. I also disagree that not having an interview will affect your chances. I think it is also important to remember that even if the outcome isn't great, we can apply next year after some more learning and growing, or the year after. I hope you manage to sleep okay and take care of yourself. 

Also to add, this is my second application to the department. First rejection sucked but even it is a no again - that's ok.

Edited by gvjcb1000000

1 hour ago, FreeZapata said:

After many webinars, youtube channels, and forums the very best advice I got was from the GSE website itself. This  small article is only 3 pages long but there is sooooo much to breakdown. You would need to really pick out all the little clues they are giving you. Here are the main points that forced me to think if GSE is the right place for me at this moment in time. It could very well be that I need to grow more before I give it another shot. But I think it's important to not give up on yourself regardless of the outcome:

"The statement should be narrowly focused on convincing the intended reader – i.e., a professor at GSE who teaches in the program to which you are applying – that you have a serious and well-considered purpose in applying to that program. A compelling statement will convince the reader that you are the kind of student likely to thrive in the program to which you are admitted and who would contribute to (and not merely benefit from) our academic community. Too often, statements of purpose are poorly focused, vaguely autobiographical essays, in which case they become inadvertent disclosures of purposelessness.

The reader of your file will make a judgment about whether you merit admission on the basis of many considerations, and your file will include much material including your transcripts, what your referees say about you, etc., that reveal your academic and other accomplishments. There is no harm in mentioning a particular accomplishment in passing in your statement when this is relevant to explaining your purpose in applying to the program. But statements go astray once the author assumes that his or her purpose is to persuade the reader that he or she is highly qualified for admission. Remember that we will be quick to deny admission if we have insufficient evidence that the candidate is well-suited to the program by virtue of his or her interests and ambitions, regardless of how intellectually well qualified the applicant might be. The statement of purpose is usually the only part of the applicant’s file where one can find strong evidence of whether the program will really mesh with the applicant’s interests and ambitions. If you devote the statement to a list of the things, the great things you have done, then you will merely exasperate the reader.

When your file is being read by members of the faculty, it will be reading it alongside many other files, and they will typically be reading under severe time constraints. People tend not to be especially tolerant of verbosity under these circumstances, to put it mildly. If your reader has evidence that you will take ten words to say something that another, equally qualified candidate will say in six, you might well find that the other candidate will be preferred over you."

Good luck to everyone here. The hardest part of the application is sometimes the waiting. But you've already come this far. 

I also read this before I wrote my SoP. It was very helpful as most of the SoP samples or suggestions we get to see focus on accomplishments.