Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

Always have a second plan and I know we all have ❤️
For me, Stanford is my first option (just like many of you) but I've decided that I'll not let my heart be broken if I don't get into it.  
I also applied to a bunch of schools in Europe (a place I've never been to) Like Sciences Po (in Paris), Technical University of Munich (Germany), the University of Granada (Spain), or Oslo University (Norway). I know that if I don't get into Stanford then I'll be going to Europe so I'm pretty excited about both options.
Note: most of the Universities I already mentioned still have their applications open, I don't know why Europan schools close their applications so late but I think it's amazing and they are mostly free (except the one in Paris). If you are also interested in the idea check it out. ❤️
I wish you all the best of luck! 

Just now, Tororo said:

For me, Stanford is my first option (just like many of you) but I've decided that I'll not let my heart be broken if I don't get into it.  
I also applied to a bunch of schools in Europe (a place I've never been to) Like Sciences Po (in Paris), Technical University of Munich (Germany), the University of Granada (Spain), or Oslo University (Norway). I know that if I don't get into Stanford then I'll be going to Europe so I'm pretty excited about both options.
Note: most of the Universities I already mentioned still have their applications open, I don't know why Europan schools close their applications so late but I think it's amazing and they are mostly free (except the one in Paris). If you are also interested in the idea check it out. ❤️

That's amazing!! 

47 minutes ago, Tororo said:

Thanks, Tororo! I wish you all the best of luck ;)

46 minutes ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

So is everyone else constantly checking this page, results board and their email ?  I almost wish I didn't read the message about a potential release this week since I wake up thinking 'holy cow it's anytime now'

My guess is that results will come Friday afternoon/evening at the earliest so that line of thought has helped me check a lot less!

1 hour ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

So is everyone else constantly checking this page, results board and their email ?  I almost wish I didn't read the message about a potential release this week since I wake up thinking 'holy cow it's anytime now'

Yep! Pretty much the story of my life right now. The refresh button is my new best friend. 

10 hours ago, FreeZapata said:

I totally felt the same thing @Jeanne A.That was a really cool way to invite other people into this small but very supportive community. I like the way you described this virtual space with such clarity and little details. I think you captured it perfectly. I appreciate how everyone on this forum is super chill, supportive, and wishing the other person success. I would be honored to be part of a class with anyone on here. This is by far one of the most kind and sincere online communities I have encountered. Thank you all.

May The Force Be With YOU!

This is my first time ever participating in an online forum. And seeing how supportive and fun this group is, I'm like...I've been missing out on this all my life?! But then come to think of it, not to toot our own horn or anything :), I think stanford education applicants are a select group of people. 

Sorry for the slew of posts this morning, but just one more. 

To those of us who experienced any sort of self doubt (and probably a bunch of other emotions) after applying, I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes by Teddy Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Can't say we didn't try, right? :)

Edited by ngdt

13 minutes ago, ngdt said:

Sorry for the slew of posts this morning, but just one more. 

To those of us who experienced any sort of self doubt (and probably a bunch of other emotions) after applying, I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes by Teddy Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Can't say we didn't try, right? :)

Exactly! Fortune favors the brave right :D 

Whatever the outcome, we tried

16 minutes ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

I wish we could receive feedback if it does end up as a rejection :(

I probably will not apply again, it is my 2nd time already, but good to know where we can improve 

You and me both, gvjcb1000000. This is my 2nd time too. And last I checked, I'm not getting any younger. 

Feedback would be so helpful, not to mention good for closure. 

4 hours ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

1000000% can relate..I am jumping and shivering every time an incoming mail comes..

2 hours ago, ngdt said:

Yep! Pretty much the story of my life right now. The refresh button is my new best friend. 

Yes..and guess what. I even thought through every single step after I hear an incoming email sound, check my mail and realize it is THAT email...So, I thought through the steps I will take after that. They are the following:

1) take a deep breath

2) seat comfortably on the sofa

3) calm myself down

4) say something like "whatever comes it's ok"

5) then open email and check the decision

6) then pray ?‍♀️? whatever the decision will be

7) then go to the kitchen and have some good cup of tea with tasty chocolate ?

? then seat down again, make myself comfortable and think through the decision that I got, and my next steps that I will take according to the decision received.

May be this looks weird or something☺?...but this plan helps me to at least somehow survive this totally nervous waiting ?

So, in 2010 I graduated with a Master's degree. Worked for 9 years. Did another Master's and am now applying for PhD. Not getting any younger but still trying to find a new way of life. I keep wondering if my age would be a problem. I have enjoyed participating in this forum. It has helped me realize many things. So whatever happens, remember that new doors open all the time. It's always up to us to choose what we want to do.

2 minutes ago, Toyo said:

So, in 2010 I graduated with a Master's degree. Worked for 9 years. Did another Master's and am now applying for PhD. Not getting any younger but still trying to find a new way of life. I keep wondering if my age would be a problem. I have enjoyed participating in this forum. It has helped me realize many things. So whatever happens, remember that new doors open all the time. It's always up to us to choose what we want to do.

Yes. I also was thinking about my age because I am older than normal PhD candidates. Then i went to Stanford GSE site and checked stats. Then i saw average age 54 I guess (may be mistaken with exact numbers now but the point is there are older applicants admitted) so that calmed me down. But aside my age issue I was thinking: 1) is my essay good at all, 2) my GPA is not high at all, 3) I am coming from a wired region, 4) what if there is no.match between the profs that I mentioned in my essay and their real interests, 5) what if my SOP has not been read at all, by anyone, 6) seats are limited due to covid..

And those thoughts have been rolling in my head for the last 2 months..

18 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Thank you for sharing your info @Toyo. I graduated in 2008 with a BA have been working for 10 years. Taught all grades K-6th and run summer camps focused on STEM. 

best wishes to you all : )

4 minutes ago, FreeZapata said:

Thank you for sharing your info @Toyo. I graduated in 2008 with a BA have been working for 10 years. Taught all grades K-6th and run summer camps focused on STEM. 

best wishes to you all : )

And I got my BA in 2006, my MA in 2011. My MA was actually in ICE, but I've pivoted to Education Data Science (EDS) in recent years. Speaking of EDS, I heard that Stanford was expecting a lot of applications for EDS this year. I'm surprised that I've only come across 2-3 EDS applicants on this forum.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:04 PM, Angeli9222 said:

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for all your shares. I can definitely relate to you all. I’m so nervous. I was wondering if anyone knows when POLS decisions will approximately come out? Thank you. 

Based on historical data, POLS responses should be out between 2/28-3/2. I'm super jealous of the Ph.D students, I've been going INSANE and I wish I could get the answer when they do. 

What are you hoping to focus on in POLS? I'm interested in lifelong learning/alternative adult education (I ❤️ Pathways Lab).

So I've been silently reading all of these replies, and I just feel compelled to echo what so many of you have said. I, too, am among those of you who keep refreshing the applyweb page as though something is magically going to change without any indication that it would have, and am anxiously holding my breath this week as it seems that results will be coming soon! 

I want to echo the kind words that have been said: you all seem like phenomenal people and educators, and I will be thrilled if I get to meet you all as part of my cohort in the fall (dare I hope for in-person?). This agonizing process with absolutely no word (I admit, I'm a bit discouraged not to have heard back from POIs, etc) has been made more bearable by scrolling through this thread. Good luck to all, and I'll be happy to see your names light up green on the "results" page even if mine does not! 

2 hours ago, Toyo said:

Thanks for sharing! I have been working for 8 years after graduating with my masters in 2014, so I am up there in age as well and wonder how that will affect me, too. I am a teacher and have a three year old, so this feels kind of like my last chance before giving up on this particular dream. 

4 hours ago, ngdt said:

You and me both, gvjcb1000000. This is my 2nd time too. And last I checked, I'm not getting any younger. 

Feedback would be so helpful, not to mention good for closure. 

My second time, too! Wow I didn't know so many people applied multiple times. That makes me feel better. 

2 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Yes..and guess what. I even thought through every single step after I hear an incoming email sound, check my mail and realize it is THAT email...So, I thought through the steps I will take after that. They are the following:

1) take a deep breath

2) seat comfortably on the sofa

3) calm myself down

4) say something like "whatever comes it's ok"

5) then open email and check the decision

6) then pray ?‍♀️? whatever the decision will be

7) then go to the kitchen and have some good cup of tea with tasty chocolate ?

? then seat down again, make myself comfortable and think through the decision that I got, and my next steps that I will take according to the decision received.

May be this looks weird or something☺?...but this plan helps me to at least somehow survive this totally nervous waiting ?

Not weird at all, felt calm reading it even, thank you