Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

How many of y'all are re-reading your statement of purpose, writing sample, whole application, reviewing the GSE website multiple times and endlessly looking for trends on admission processes since you submitted your app? I have ? time is going so slow!!

And my app has been "complete" since December, which I think the GSE said it would do for the PhD applicants.

Edited by RILE Hopeful

Can someone please please chance me? I’m so anxiously waiting for the results from POLS

GPA: 3.80/4.00 from top 25 American uni 

Major: double major in PR and History, minor in Music 

Extracurricular:

-I have my own startup for a little more than half a year. It focuses on providing university consulting and tutoring for international applicants. 

-I do English education content creation on Chinese social media and have a following of 250k+. 
-Brief research experience related to children’s education 

-I am a licensed piano teacher and have been teaching music to 7 children

-4 internships related to PR/advertising, since it’s what I primarily studied in college

-Have my own band that does fundraising for children’s education in impoverished areas, fundraiser over $6000 

Recs: three from professors, one from a student I teach English to 

PS: primarily talks about startup and social media blogging 

I’m mainly concerned that my academics and internships have nothing to do with Education. I’d appreciate it so much if someone can gimme your insights!

2 hours ago, Toyo said:

Someone got a mail for an interview! It’s good to know that the application process is progressing for at least some people ?. I wish the interviewee luck. 

Yeah, I think there have been a couple of interview notices since mid-January. 

On the GSE website, it states that they don’t have a formal interview process or requirement, and that faculty can choose to do so on a case-by-case basis. 

Stanford has always been timely with their responses (right around Valentine’s Day), so I’m sure we’ll hear back around that time this year, too, even if our application status isn’t updated. 

9 hours ago, ngdt said:

I think it varies by program. I've definitely heard of/know people who got into Stanford PhD (and specifically the ICE program) without ever interviewing. 

OMG this gives hope....I applied to SHIPS Educational Policy and feel really worried ??? well I'll hope what you said also applies to SHIPS Edu Policy ?????? thank you for letting know and for giving some hope.....we've got three more weeks to wait..this last week of January + two first weeks of February?????

7 hours ago, RILE Hopeful said:

How many of y'all are re-reading your statement of purpose, writing sample, whole application, reviewing the GSE website multiple times and endlessly looking for trends on admission processes since you submitted your app? I have ? time is going so slow!!

And my app has been "complete" since December, which I think the GSE said it would do for the PhD applicants.

Yes, I also do the same thing and feel really worried. And with every day my kind of depression or kind of strong anxiety is increasing!!!!! ?????

I read a reply on the results page that too many applications have been received for the same position (under CTE) and that they are slowly checking those and scheduling interviews. Since I have also applied for CTE and have not even got my application status updated to complete, I am quaking in my boots!

22 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I read a reply on the results page that too many applications have been received for the same position (under CTE) and that they are slowly checking those and scheduling interviews. Since I have also applied for CTE and have not even got my application status updated to complete, I am quaking in my boots!

No, wait...It's only the beginning of the week, so not everything lost yet! You can still receive your invitation during this week so lets hope! ???

Edited by Jeanne A.

24 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Oh, and by the way, by saying "they are slowly checking those and scheduling interviews" do you mean they are inviting for interviews everyone who applied?  

Edited by Jeanne A.

17 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Do you think changed statuses in our application checklists really mean anything? I thought it is kind of technical thing which is not related to the selection process itself ????? and that it simply means that all docs are received or something like that..??????

6 hours ago, coonie99 said:

Can someone please please chance me? I’m so anxiously waiting for the results from POLS

GPA: 3.80/4.00 from top 25 American uni 

Major: double major in PR and History, minor in Music 

Extracurricular:

-I have my own startup for a little more than half a year. It focuses on providing university consulting and tutoring for international applicants. 

-I do English education content creation on Chinese social media and have a following of 250k+. 
-Brief research experience related to children’s education 

-I am a licensed piano teacher and have been teaching music to 7 children

-4 internships related to PR/advertising, since it’s what I primarily studied in college

-Have my own band that does fundraising for children’s education in impoverished areas, fundraiser over $6000 

Recs: three from professors, one from a student I teach English to 

PS: primarily talks about startup and social media blogging 

I’m mainly concerned that my academics and internships have nothing to do with Education. I’d appreciate it so much if someone can gimme your insights!

Your background looks really impressive! ???

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

Oh, and by the way, by saying "they are slowly checking those and scheduling interviews" do you mean they are inviting for interviews everyone who applied?  

I think the post said that the interviews are being scheduled for some people but not all the applicants. FAQ mentions that an interview or the lack of it is not a sign of how our applications have been received. 

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

Do you think changed statuses in our application checklists really mean anything? I thought it is kind of technical thing which is not related to the selection process itself ????? and that it simply means that all docs are received or something like that..??????

The way I think and the kind of person I am, if my status changes and I don’t get an interview invitation within a few days, I will begin my panic dance. So this incomplete status gives me hope and keeps me sane.

8 minutes ago, Toyo said:

I think the post said that the interviews are being scheduled for some people but not all the applicants. FAQ mentions that an interview or the lack of it is not a sign of how our applications have been received. 

Yes, and it also says that many factors impact the decision on admission of each and separate applicant (sorry its not the direct quote but the meaning is like this)...so, it means we all can still hope...

9 minutes ago, Toyo said:

The way I think and the kind of person I am, if my status changes and I don’t get an interview invitation within a few days, I will begin my panic dance. So this incomplete status gives me hope and keeps me sane.

Well, "panic dance" sounds exactly how I feel now... I got your point, you mean that if the status is complete and they do not invite for interview it means that they are not interested in that candidate. Well, mine is complete and I did not receive any feedback...?? that's actually a bad sign then?????

Just now, Jeanne A. said:

Well, "panic dance" sounds exactly how I feel now... I got your point, you mean that if the status is complete and they do not invite for interview it means that they are not interested in that candidate. Well, mine is complete and I did not receive any feedback...?? that's actually a bad sign then?????

Ha Ha! Sorry! I meant I am more of a glass-is-half-empty kind of person! They have mentioned that an interview is not a part of the normal admissions process and faculty takes that call. So, there is enough reason for you to not worry. 

1 minute ago, Toyo said:

Ha Ha! Sorry! I meant I am more of a glass-is-half-empty kind of person! They have mentioned that an interview is not a part of the normal admissions process and faculty takes that call. So, there is enough reason for you to not worry. 

?? Well....Yes, which means that for the next three weeks we all still can hope?????

Thank goodness for this thread. Knowing that there are others who are also incessantly checking email/website/application/sanity actually does make me feel better. I have a specific question: on my application checklist, under GRE score status, it says "received (official)." But I didn't take the GRE this year. I did take it a little more than 5 years ago (when I applied and got rejected, wah wah). The strange thing is that those scores from 5 years ago should no longer be valid, so not sure how they were able to pull them. I was wondering whether that was a technical fix on their part to get the application into completed status since the GRE was required in previous years. Anyone else not take the GRE but seeing "received (official)" on their application checklist? I emailed the admissions office to ask, but no response. Thanks! 

12 hours ago, ngdt said:

Thank goodness for this thread. Knowing that there are others who are also incessantly checking email/website/application/sanity actually does make me feel better. I have a specific question: on my application checklist, under GRE score status, it says "received (official)." But I didn't take the GRE this year. I did take it a little more than 5 years ago (when I applied and got rejected, wah wah). The strange thing is that those scores from 5 years ago should no longer be valid, so not sure how they were able to pull them. I was wondering whether that was a technical fix on their part to get the application into completed status since the GRE was required in previous years. Anyone else not take the GRE but seeing "received (official)" on their application checklist? I emailed the admissions office to ask, but no response. Thanks! 

Hi ngdt! Let me check. I never paid attention to this?? I will get back in a few minutes, after checking...

By the way, which program are you applying? Me - PhD, SHIPS.