Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

6 hours ago, McPerson said:

Me too. I'm pretty sure they send it to everyone but this gives me hope....

I also applied to HGSE and they sent one out a few days after the application due date, so that one I'm 99.9999% sure was to everyone. 

I'm going legit insane people. I made myself an index card that says "breathe" in huge letters and taped it to the wall behind my desk. 

In fact I didn't receive that email lol.. not sure if it means any sign of rejection..

1 hour ago, Taro_Taro said:

In fact I didn't receive that email lol.. not sure if it means any sign of rejection..

Did you check your spam folder? If you didn't get one it could honestly be a sign of COVID related disorganization. It was pretty generic.

Here's what it said: 

Thank you for your Master's program admission application to the Stanford Graduate School of Education (GSE). While we review your application and you wait for a decision, we encourage you to spend some time preparing financially for your Master's program of interest should you be offered admission. Below are some suggestions to get you started:
  • Understand the type of funding available from the various institutions to which you are applying; most Master’s programs only offer partial funding and student loans. At GSE, all admitted students are considered for Master’s fellowships, and recipients of these awards are notified on the admission letter. No separate application is required as fellowships are awarded based on the strength of the admission application. More details about funding available from Stanford GSE is available on this webpage.
March 1:  Target date for the 2021-2022 Stanford Graduate Student Loan Application to be available online.
Early March:  GSE releases all Master's admissions and fellowships decisions.
March 5:  Financial aid application priority deadline for Master's admitted students: see Financial Aid Application Requirements.
March 30:  Financial aid award letter sent to Master's admitted students who meet the March 5 priority deadline.
  • International studentsto meet immigration regulations, international students must show proof of adequate financial support to cover the length of time of their graduate program. Information on an array of funding opportunities for international students can be found on the IIE Funding for U.S. Study website and this IIE publication. Also, while international students are not eligible for U.S. federal loan programs, they may qualify for private/alternative loans. Many lenders, however, typically require that a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer on the loan. Information and tools to help you choose private loan programs most frequently used by Stanford students over the last few years can be found here. A comprehensive list of private loan programs is available at FinAid.org.
  • Research and apply for external sources of funding, so you are not relying solely on the resources available from the institutions to which you are applying. Here is a list of external fellowships we compiled to help you.

We hope that the information above is helpful to you as you prepare yourself financially for graduate study. Please contact us at gseadmissions@stanford.edu if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
GSE Admissions
Stanford Graduate School of Education

5 hours ago, McPerson said:

@Angeli9222, I have no idea what time we find out but my plan is to make cookies and start checking the application portal on Sunday every hour starting at 9am EST. I'm only 20% joking.

I applied to POLS, too! I want to focus on lifelong learning/alternative adult education. What about you?  

Hiii, 

Mine is similar to yours!!! I want to focus on higher education. Wow, that’s amazing. Hope we get in. :) 

11 hours ago, McPerson said:

Did you check your spam folder? If you didn't get one it could honestly be a sign of COVID related disorganization. It was pretty generic.

Here's what it said: 

Thank you for your Master's program admission application to the Stanford Graduate School of Education (GSE). While we review your application and you wait for a decision, we encourage you to spend some time preparing financially for your Master's program of interest should you be offered admission. Below are some suggestions to get you started:
  • Understand the type of funding available from the various institutions to which you are applying; most Master’s programs only offer partial funding and student loans. At GSE, all admitted students are considered for Master’s fellowships, and recipients of these awards are notified on the admission letter. No separate application is required as fellowships are awarded based on the strength of the admission application. More details about funding available from Stanford GSE is available on this webpage.
March 1:  Target date for the 2021-2022 Stanford Graduate Student Loan Application to be available online.
Early March:  GSE releases all Master's admissions and fellowships decisions.
March 5:  Financial aid application priority deadline for Master's admitted students: see Financial Aid Application Requirements.
March 30:  Financial aid award letter sent to Master's admitted students who meet the March 5 priority deadline.
  • International studentsto meet immigration regulations, international students must show proof of adequate financial support to cover the length of time of their graduate program. Information on an array of funding opportunities for international students can be found on the IIE Funding for U.S. Study website and this IIE publication. Also, while international students are not eligible for U.S. federal loan programs, they may qualify for private/alternative loans. Many lenders, however, typically require that a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer on the loan. Information and tools to help you choose private loan programs most frequently used by Stanford students over the last few years can be found here. A comprehensive list of private loan programs is available at FinAid.org.
  • Research and apply for external sources of funding, so you are not relying solely on the resources available from the institutions to which you are applying. Here is a list of external fellowships we compiled to help you.

We hope that the information above is helpful to you as you prepare yourself financially for graduate study. Please contact us at gseadmissions@stanford.edu if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
GSE Admissions
Stanford Graduate School of Education

Oh thank you!! I've also applied to phd (and got rejected) this cycle, so it's possible that they forgot to put me into the listserv of master applicants. 

3 hours ago, Taro_Taro said:

Oh thank you!! I've also applied to phd (and got rejected) this cycle, so it's possible that they forgot to put me into the listserv of master applicants. 

That seems the most likely. It's not uncommon for schools to send these letters out to all applicants; HGSE sent one out nine days after the application due date and even had people fill out the HGSE financial aid form. 

There's also a lot of moving pieces here:

1. There's a pandemic and a new workflow needed to be established due to WFH
  2. They added a new Master's program so they're adding and toggling listservs. As someone with a tech background I can promise you this: whatever can go wrong with tech will go wrong. It's the nature of the business
  3. You were forwarded to a Master's so you needed to change listservs. See comment above

When I read the email, zero part of me was like "oh, this means I got in." It was more of an "oh, false alarm!"

It did, however, reinforce my theory that we'll have a decision starting Feb 28 and everyone would know by the end of the first week of March. If they're trying to have priority financial aid applications open Mar 1 and close Mar 5, they'll be trying their hardest to give all students the longest amount of time possible to fill out the form.

Edited by McPerson

15 hours ago, McPerson said:

@Angeli9222, I have no idea what time we find out but my plan is to make cookies and start checking the application portal on Sunday every hour starting at 9am EST. I'm only 20% joking.

I applied to POLS, too! I want to focus on lifelong learning/alternative adult education. What about you?  

That's a great idea. I think I'll do the same!!

6 hours ago, McPerson said:

That seems the most likely. It's not uncommon for schools to send these letters out to all applicants; HGSE sent one out nine days after the application due date and even had people fill out the HGSE financial aid form. 

There's also a lot of moving pieces here:

1. There's a pandemic and a new workflow needed to be established due to WFH
  2. They added a new Master's program so they're adding and toggling listservs. As someone with a tech background I can promise you this: whatever can go wrong with tech will go wrong. It's the nature of the business
  3. You were forwarded to a Master's so you needed to change listservs. See comment above

When I read the email, zero part of me was like "oh, this means I got in." It was more of an "oh, false alarm!"

It did, however, reinforce my theory that we'll have a decision starting Feb 28 and everyone would know by the end of the first week of March. If they're trying to have priority financial aid applications open Mar 1 and close Mar 5, they'll be trying their hardest to give all students the longest amount of time possible to fill out the form.

My thought exactly. The March 1-5th gap seems way too narrow. 

7 hours ago, annie_568 said:

Have you guys taken the GRE since it was optional this year? 

I was going to take the at-home test in February, and apply for Fall 2022. After I found out that GRE is optional, I thought I'll give it a shot and canceled my test appointment. 

47 minutes ago, Alexandra611 said:

Received an email that I am an "alternate". Are "waitlist" and "alternate" the same?

Yeah, I understood it that way for me. Since we r waiting till April for decissions we r waiting for the people who made it to decide and we are the back up in case they reject the offer - definition of waitlist for me...

17 minutes ago, Adei said:

Yeah, I understood it that way for me. Since we r waiting till April for decissions we r waiting for the people who made it to decide and we are the back up in case they reject the offer - definition of waitlist for me...

I also got the 'alternate' email, and didn't know exactly how to react or feel about it. 

Huge congrats to the people who got in! 

Anyone got rejected by a PhD program and was referred to a Master's got a result yet? I applied to the LSTD phd but didn't get in, and my application was transferred to LDT. I saw people have received their results on Feb 27th & 28th, and I still got nothing. I'm so nervous.... Should I send an email?