Planning Admission 2021

1 hour ago, daxdim said:

Updating to reflect my last two acceptances! Very shocked but blessed to have gotten into every program I applied to. There was no mention of funding in either acceptance email, but fingers crossed GTech says something about it in the coming days. Looks a lot like Los Angeles is in my future though! :^)

When did you hear back from USC? 

Have been lurking for quite a while, and now that we're getting close to the end of decision season I'd thought I'd add in. Not confident about UPenn or Columbia coming back positive for me, so starting to think about all the different things that would go into moving to the UK! Hopeful for a UT Austin or UW acceptance off of the waitlist, but we'll see!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/M/US

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BA Urban Planning; BA International Studies  /  southern state school  /  2021

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.65 (4.0 last 60hr) - 158V  /  155Q  /  4.5AW

Work Experience:

1yr as research assistant; 3yrs as part-time graphic artist/website designer; 3yrs as HS teacher

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

2 from undergraduate professors; 1 from work supervisor

Schools applied to: Harvard, UC Berkeley, UPenn, Columbia, UT Austin (MSCRP/MSUD), University of Washington, UCL (MSc Urban Design & City Planning), TU Delft (Urbanism), Liverpool

In: UCL

Out: Harvard, UC Berkeley, TU Delft

Wait-listUT Austin (MSCRP), University of Washington

Awaiting: UPenn, Columbia, UT Austin (MSUD), Liverpool

On 2/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, earlpe said:

hi all--I've been lurking on this thread for a while and thought it was time to make my own post

Age/Gender/Citizenship

28/M/US

BA in Urban Studies w/planning concentration & political science minor / good public university in northeast / 2015

3.7 BA (3.4 overall--I transferred) - No GRE

Work Experience:

5ish years overall

3.5 years in planning at an urban transit authority in a small northeastern city, 1 year at a design-focused community development nonprofit, internships in bike/ped and transit advocacy

Letter of recommendations: 

current supervisor (planning director at a transit authority), undergrad professor/advisor

last letter was split between a former supervisor for 3 schools and a current colleague for the rest

Schools applied to: Rutgers, Michigan, UNC, Georgia Tech, Toronto, SUNY Albany (all masters in planning)

In: Michigan ($5k funding), UNC (no funding), Rutgers, SUNY Albany, Georgia Tech (still awaiting funding info)

Out:

Wait-list

Awaiting: Toronto

Results:

in at Georgia Tech!

still crossing all my fingers for funding--news hasn't been great on that front thus far.

8 hours ago, MildlyJaded said:

You're not alone friend. Almost all of us had the same anxiety and I had my fair share of ummm and uhhhh moments. I knew this would happen and made good notes before hand just to get my mind rolling but blanked out a lot. I don't know if this helped but don't fret and pretend you're talking to a friend. It's slightly easier to do if you don't look directly at the camera but that defeats the purpose. Maybe call a friend and put your phone on the side and pretend you're talking to them? That might help. Otherwise I think they know that we're not very articulate during these interviews. 

8 hours ago, heyhey101 said:

oh yeah I experienced panic attacks. Exactly performance anxiety. Having to look at myself speaking hearing and being super self conscious.  I’m sure that’s common. I don’t have much problems articulating and being opinionated and etc in real life and in person interviews.  This is just different. You can not prepare for something like this effectively.

Now I totally leave this admission chance up to the universe

Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the kind words and understanding! It helps to know I'm not the only one freaking out. I worry sometimes that students coming from business or more businessy backgrounds will knock their interviews out of the park (no hate if someone does well! I'm happy for people who have good speaking skills and wish everyone the best - can't help but feel intimidated though!). It's so frustrating to have intelligent internal dialogue and then going to speak and absolute drivel comes out, lol. I sound straight up ridiculous on video! Well, like you said @heyhey101 it's up to the universe now lol.

On a side note, anyone know how many students SCARP accepts per year and how many applicants they typically get? 

Edited by prospectiveplanner

On 3/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, CanPlan said:

I haven't seen anyone ask about this program and I know it isn't common here, but if anyone is wondering I was accepted into the planning program in the School of Environmental and Resource Management at Simon Fraser University today. I was notified personally by my potential supervisor, with an official offer coming from the university at a later date. 

Oh nice! Congrats! I applied to SFU's Urban Studies one, haven't heard anything yet. I think they send out their official notifications next week. I didn't have to choose any potential supervisors when I applied for Urban Studies, did you have to when you applied to yours or is the supervisor a prof that you knew already or...? I had to choose potential supervisors for UBC, though.

15 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Oh nice! Congrats! I applied to SFU's Urban Studies one, haven't heard anything yet. I think they send out their official notifications next week. I didn't have to choose any potential supervisors when I applied for Urban Studies, did you have to when you applied to yours or is the supervisor a prof that you knew already or...? I had to choose potential supervisors for UBC, though.

I'm still  waiting for SFU'S Urban Studies program as well!

The MRM Planning program is different, and they do a terrible job promoting it. I honestly applied on a whim because it's an accredited program and they have several planning faculty members, but I didn't know much else about it. 

I was expected to find a supervisor before applying. 

The MRM program skews strongly towards sustainability and environmental planning. For what it is it is probably one of the most respected programs in Canada, but definitely not for everyone. 

1 minute ago, CanPlan said:

I'm still  waiting for SFU'S Urban Studies program as well!

The MRM Planning program is different, and they do a terrible job promoting it. I honestly applied on a whim because it's an accredited program and they have several planning faculty members, but I didn't know much else about it. 

I was expected to find a supervisor before applying. 

The MRM program skews strongly towards sustainability and environmental planning. For what it is it is probably one of the most respected programs in Canada, but definitely not for everyone. 

I thought the same! Like, why does nobody know about this program!? It seems awesome. I wanted an accredited one as well, but environmental planning isn't the field I'm planning (no pun intended) on going into, so I ended up just doing Urban Studies and SCARP. I'm leaning heavily towards SCARP because of its accredation but the MURB has its benefits too, like it being run in the evenings and more accessible for working students. Good luck, maybe see you at SFU lol

True SFU looks good if environment planning is your focus. Someone said on Reddit some time ago you can specialize in urban planning there too. But I couldn’t find anything about it in their web. Accredited program is important but having a portfolio at the end of the program is also as important to me. I wasn’t sure if SFU program will help me? Was a question. 

Hence Ryerson or Calgary was also reallyyyy tempting (and other schools with more architectural focus) but this year I’m limited to BC.  Just general advice as someone having some time spent in architecture field is that If you think you’re from “unrelated planning background” (lot of things are actually quite related but if you think so) or with very little exposure to graphics, arts and all,  I think going to school that will help you a lot building stronger portfolio especially if urban design is your aspiration 

9 hours ago, heyhey101 said:

True SFU looks good if environment planning is your focus. Someone said on Reddit some time ago you can specialize in urban planning there too. But I couldn’t find anything about it in their web. Accredited program is important but having a portfolio at the end of the program is also as important to me. I wasn’t sure if SFU program will help me? Was a question. 

Hence Ryerson or Calgary was also reallyyyy tempting (and other schools with more architectural focus) but this year I’m limited to BC.  Just general advice as someone having some time spent in architecture field is that If you think you’re from “unrelated planning background” (lot of things are actually quite related but if you think so) or with very little exposure to graphics, arts and all,  I think going to school that will help you a lot building stronger portfolio especially if urban design is your aspiration 

Agreed. I have SCARP as my top choice because of the capstone and opportunity to build a portfolio as I'm not coming into this from planning. Super valuable to be able to make one during school! 

On 12/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, yungzuko said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

20/M/US

BA in Public Affairs (Urban Planning concentration) and Economics / Jesuit University / 2021

GPA: 3.44 / GRE: None

Work Experience:

- Research associate with a community organization doing work on placemaking and cultural asset mapping
- Senior thesis on ethnic enclaves
- Housing development internship with affordable housing nonprofit
- Advisory board member with an ethnic enclave organization doing preservation through community engagement and advocacy
- Started and manage an instagram account about ethnic communities and urban planning
- City planning intern with the city planning department
- Volunteer GIS tutor

Letter of recommendations: 

Public policy professor/thesis advisor, GIS professor, work supervisor/mentor

Schools applied to: UCLA, USC, UW, UPenn, PSU, Harvard, UT Austin

In: USC (50%), UPenn (75%), UT Austin, PSU (TBA)

Out: Harvard

Wait-list: UW

Awaiting: UCLA

Results:

UPenn financial aid packages just came out! In with 75% scholarship, pretty shook lol 

39 minutes ago, yungzuko said:

UPenn financial aid packages just came out! In with 75% scholarship, pretty shook lol 

Congrats!!

Where did you saw the financial aid offer? I got the early acceptance email 2 weeks ago but doesn't see anything on my inbox.

Edited by hayamate

44 minutes ago, austinplanning256 said:

For my fellow Georgia Tech admits - are you expecting to receive an update on funding this week or further down the line once they've processed our official documents? I also noticed they extended their application deadline to March 15th so I'm worried that may delay funding decisions. 

I have a feeling we’ll receive the update on funding with (or after) the official letter of admission once they verify our materials. Which I’m thinking will take a few weeks, but I’m hoping it comes sooner than that!

Just now, nola360 said:

Hey! There's an update on the application website :)

Thanks just saw it. Only 5k scholarship for me.

Penn was my #1 choice, but I can't justify going to that much debt for the program.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, hayamate said:

After a couple of years working in transportation advocacy, I decided to plan my next steps and attend planning school to give back to the communities I've served.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

31/M/US

BA in Communications/Flagship state university at a Spanish-speaking country/2011

3.62 - no - granted waivers due to work experience

Work Experience:

- 5 years at a transportation advocacy group in a major US city. Spearheaded projects in BIPOC communities for alternatives mode of transportation, as well directed strategy at a city-level.

Four: Former supervisor/professional mentor, former colleague that has a Master's in urban planning, Deputy Director of current employer, Program Manager at a non-profit that co-managed my work serving BIPOC residents.

Schools applied to:  Penn, Tufts, Temple, Hunter College, George Washington

In: Penn (10% scholarship + Work/Study), Tufts (80% scholarship + RA offer), Temple (no funding), Hunter College (no funding), George Washington (25% scholarship)

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:

Results:

Waiting on financial aid packages from other programs before making a decision.

Updating now that I received all financial aid offers. Disappointed on Penn's offer given that it was my #1 choice.

Decision now is between Tufts and Hunter: Tufts covers close to 100% tuition but will require a move. Hunter offers no funding, but in-state tuition is cheap and I already live in NYC.

Been lurking here for a while too and though I would add in. I have all of my decisions back except for Columbia. I am thrilled with my decisions so far but a bit disappointed in the funding... I was told I don't qualify for need-based aid but (other than my rough UG GPA) I thought I had a strong enough app to get at least a bit of merit aid/grant money. Basically just got loan offers and work-study. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience. I'm going to school no matter what next year but the amount of debt I would have to take on scares me a bit.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/F/US

AB in Economics / Ivy League / 2017

3.3 - 167V  /  165Q  /  4.5AW

Work Experience:

3.5yrs commercial real estate finance; farmers market volunteer 

1 from work mentor, 1 from undergraduate professor (who teaches in grad design school), 1 professor from graduate level urban planning course

Schools applied to: Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, Cornell, Rutgers, Michigan

In: Harvard, UPenn, Cornell, Rutgers, Michigan

Out: 

Wait-list

Awaiting: Columbia

Just dropping in to advise anyone interested in WRGP tuition to check in with each school. I was under the impression that all eligible students who request WRGP on an application would receive the discount upon admission. That is definitely not the case! It works just like funding.

Also, does anyone have advice on choosing programs that do offer more focus on theory? How would you go about looking for this? (For example, identifying programs with thesis routes.) I am undecided on a career in planning vs. academia, but I would like the option to pursue a path in research, so I'm hoping to narrow down some choices with that in mind.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, wwjanejacobsd said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/F/US

BA in Cultural Anthropology / top public school / 2017

3.8 GPA - No GRE

Work Experience:

3 years non-planning related international work experience; volunteer experience in community outreach and pedestrian & bicycle advocacy

2 from undergrad professors, 1 from volunteer work supervisor

Schools applied to: Columbia, Cornell, Portland State, Pratt, UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC

In: Cornell, Portland State, USC

Out:

Wait-list: UC Berkeley

Awaiting: Columbia, Pratt, UCLA

Results:

I've heard from 4 schools so far and I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA, Columbia, and Pratt

1 hour ago, lovesgrayweather said:

Just dropping in to advise anyone interested in WRGP tuition to check in with each school. I was under the impression that all eligible students who request WRGP on an application would receive the discount upon admission. That is definitely not the case! It works just like funding.

Also, does anyone have advice on choosing programs that do offer more focus on theory? How would you go about looking for this? (For example, identifying programs with thesis routes.) I am undecided on a career in planning vs. academia, but I would like the option to pursue a path in research, so I'm hoping to narrow down some choices with that in mind.

Not sure if you're Canadian or American but UBC in Vancouver offers a research degree and a practical degree. The practical one (the MCRP) is accredited with the planning institute and has a capstone project and internship and no thesis, but the MA Planning is designed for students pursuing  research-focused careers and PHDs, and has a thesis, and is not accredited. 

SFU out here has an Urban Studies program which is not accredited, thesis-based, and more theoretical. I went to SFU for my undergrad (in archaeology) and it was all very theoretical, and less hands on than I would've imaged an archaeology degree to be. SFU tends to lean that way. 

That's what I know about Canadian programs at least!

EDIT: Seems that in Canada, the degrees that are accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners (which are designed to get you registered and become a working planner sooner) are project/hands on based, and the non accredited ones tend to lean towards research and are a strong route to a PHD. 

Edited by prospectiveplanner