Planning Admission 2021

On 1/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, bikepedkait96 said:

Sent in my few applications and I am very excited to be on the journey with everyone. I am so incredibly passionate about this field and I realllly want to go to a graduate program that will allow me to be my best so I can make changes to our build environment. I am looking forward to being in this field with everyone! 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/F/US

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BA in Environmental Studies / NC Uni / 2019

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.2 BA - V158/Q150/AW4.5

Work Experience:

- Environmental Law Internship with professor and a GIS spatial analyst with a Non profit 

- Clean Cities Internship with Council of Government 

- Transit Internship with a Municipal Planning Organization 

- VP of events with a solar renewable energy student organization 

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Transportation Professor, Sustainable City professor, Supervisor at Internship

Schools applied to: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UIC, UNC, Clemson

In: UC Berkeley, UIC, UNC, Clemson

Out:

Wait-list:

Awaiting: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UIC, UNC, Clemson

Results:

On 2/25/2021 at 12:34 PM, curiousplanner said:

Hi y'all, 

Figured I'd add along to the thread. Best of luck to everyone!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

23/M/USA

BA Geography/public southern university/2020

GPA: 3.9

GRE waived

Work Experience:

1 year internship with a COG

1 year AmeriCorps Vista doing affordable housing work with nonprofit

2 academic (2 professors from planning department at undergrad institution), 1 from current supervisor

Schools applied to: Rutgers, Michigan, UNC, Minnesota, Harvard

*Just applied for masters in urban planning for each program, no dual degree

In: 

Rutgers (found out 2/22 via email)

Michigan (found out 2/24 via phone)

UNC (found out 3/1 via email)

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: Minnesota, Harvard

Got my admissions decision from UNC about 30 min. ago, and I'm super ecstatic to have been accepted! As an in-state applicant, getting into UNC is a huge relief from a financial stand point. Wishing the best for others waiting to hear back, as well for those navigating the wait-list process!

21 minutes ago, bikepedkait96 said:

Hey yellowsurf, how did you know if you got any funding or not? I just received my admission as well and I didn't see anything? 

I also got into UNC this morning (yay! ... though out of state).

At least for me, funding was mentioned directly in the letter (not the email but the attached PDF file). It's bolded in the first paragraph. 

Gonna piggyback on the "funding in letter" discussion but for NYU. Did anyone in at Wagner get get notification of financial awards alongside their acceptance? Wouldn't surprise me since today's notifications was for their "priority scholarship consideration" deadline.

2 hours ago, oliviaplanning said:

I also just heard from UBC that I am invited to partake in the video interview!

Have been refreshing my inbox all morning. Nothing! I suppose UBC is off the table for me. ? Big congrats to you and best of luck!!!!

3 minutes ago, numenor said:

Have been refreshing my inbox all morning. Nothing! I suppose UBC is off the table for me. ? Big congrats to you and best of luck!!!!

That's too bad, but you've got Ryerson! That would be my top choice if leaving Vancouver was an option for me. 

On 2/11/2021 at 7:23 PM, takeitorleaveit97 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/F/US

BA in an Interdisciplinary Degree + minor in French / 2019
MSc / UK top school / 2021

3.68 BA/ still in MSc program - No GRE

Work Experience:

Lots of random research experience + year working abroad  

All from undergrad professors (I was close to all of them and so I know they have a lot to say)

Schools applied to: Berkeley, Harvard, UPenn, Cornell, UMich, Columbia 

In: Berkeley, UPenn, Harvard, Cornell, UMich 

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: Columbia

Results:

In at Harvard

2 hours ago, cityplace_uptown said:

Gonna piggyback on the "funding in letter" discussion but for NYU. Did anyone in at Wagner get get notification of financial awards alongside their acceptance? Wouldn't surprise me since today's notifications was for their "priority scholarship consideration" deadline.

Nope. I was told financial aid/scholarship information would be made available within 48 hours. 

Hi,

Just joining the thread. Thought I would post what I've heard back. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

28/F/US

BA in Growth and Structure of Cities / Liberal Arts College

3.49 BA - No GRE

Work Experience:

2 Years architecture, urban planning project management, 3+ Planning associate for a transit media street furniture company

Current manager, Chair of Undergraduate Urban Studies Department, Former Boss

Schools applied to: The New School, PRATT, UC Berkeley, UC Boulder, UT Austin, USC, UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA, Columbia, CUNY - Hunter

In: UNC (no funding), UC Boulder (No info on funding), UT Austin (funding updates by end of March), USC (25% scholarship), CUNY - Hunter

Out:

Wait-list: Berkeley - #4 on Urban Design concentration waitlist 

Awaiting: UCLA, Columbia, New School, PRATT 

On 11/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, nc2nyc said:

Hi everyone. Glad to have some support through this journey. I'm actually a current MRP applying to PhD programs in planning. I'm happy to talk about both journeys. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/M/US

BA in Public Administration / large southern flagship university / 2019
BS in Environmental Design / same large southern flagship university / 2019
MRP / ivy league / 2021

3.8 BA/3.6 BS/3.5 MRP - Less-than-satisfactory GRE scores in 2019, but good enough for most masters programs I applied to; not submitting this time around

Work Experience:

Internships in urban planning, non-profit, urban design, economic development, and public education

Research Experience:

Transportation planning, community development, education policy

Program chair from undergrad, Program chair from masters, current internship supervisor, former internship supervisor

Schools applied to: Stanford (Race, Inequality, and Language in Education), USC, UNC, Michigan, TAMU

In: Stanford, UNC

Out: USC, Michigan

Wait-listn/a

Awaiting: TAMU (but decided to go ahead and accept another offer)

Results: Accepted Stanford!! Fully funded with a substantial stipend! You'd be surprised how many non-planning programs are welcoming/looking for planners. From first-gen to doctorate at Stanford!!! Good luck everyone!

Edited by nc2nyc

On 2/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, urbanplanning2021 said:

Hi everyone! I'm applying for masters programs and hoping to focus in the intersection of housing, data, and equity. Best of luck! ?

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/F/US

BS in Biology and Environmental Science from competitive New England liberal arts school in 2017

GPA: 3.62, GRE: 167V, 167Q, 5.5W

Work Experience:

2.5 years at urban planning data internship in city government, recently started as a research assistant at an affordable housing tech startup/non-profit, 4 semesters as a TA for a course in R at a local university, 1 year at a food justice org.

Research Experience:

N/A

Internship supervisor, undergrad biology professor, and the professor that I'm TAing for.

Schools applied to: USC, Berkeley, UCLA, UPenn, UIC, Rutgers, Harvard

In: USC, UPenn, Rutgers

Out: Berkeley, Harvard

Wait-list:

Awaiting: UCLA, UIC

Rejected from Harvard

Edited by urbanplanning2021

On 2/25/2021 at 12:34 PM, curiousplanner said:

Hi y'all, 

Figured I'd add along to the thread. Best of luck to everyone!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

23/M/USA

BA Geography/public southern university/2020

GPA: 3.9

GRE waived

Work Experience:

1 year internship with a COG

1 year AmeriCorps Vista doing affordable housing work with nonprofit

2 academic (2 professors from planning department at undergrad institution), 1 from current supervisor

Schools applied to: Rutgers, Michigan, UNC, Minnesota, Harvard

*Just applied for masters in urban planning for each program, no dual degree

In: 

Rutgers (found out 2/22 via email)

Michigan (found out 2/24 via phone)

UNC (found out 3/1 via email)

Minnesota (found out 3/1 via email to check portal)

Out:

Harvard (found out 3/1 via email to check portal)

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: 

Rejected from Harvard. Was expecting a rejection, but still disappointed. However, I'm very grateful and excited about the acceptances I received. Will be a tough decision to make now... 

On 11/23/2020 at 12:20 AM, ameger said:

Hi all! Just finished my last application this weekend- decisions can't come soon enough. Best of luck to everyone!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/M/US

BS in Economics / midsize jesuit university / 2020

GPA: 3.85 / GRE: 163V - 163Q - 4.5AW

Work Experience:

Internships in bicycle transportation outreach, transit agency operations, and public policy. Working since graduation in safety & security data analytics for a mid-sized transit agency.

Economics professor, theology professor, mentor and internship supervisor

Schools applied to: UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Portland State, Univ of Washington, CU Denver (all MURP/MUP/MCP- no dual degrees)

In: USC, UW, CU Denver

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: UC Berkeley, UCLA, Portland State

Results:

In at UW and CU Denver

On 2/27/2021 at 1:56 AM, venkatsiva said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/M/India

Development Studies/Best Technical(Public/ 2021

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.8 GPA/ 165V, 163Q, 4 AWA/ 110 

Work Experience:

NGO related Urban Issues

Research Experience:

Couple of research fellowships (MITAACS, Shastri, Canada), Masters Research Thesis

Letter of recommendations: 

Two professors with PhDs from Top Schools in US, One senior Professor on campus

Schools applied to:   Berkeley, UCLA, Harvard, USC, UNC, UIUC, Cornell

In: UIUC, Cornell, UNC

Out: Berkeley, Harvard

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: UCLA, USC

Rejected from Harvard. Accepted into UNC without funding, slightly disappointed as my chances depend heavily on funding as someone coming from a developing country. 

5 hours ago, yellowsurf said:

Got into UNC (yay) with barely any funding (darn). I applied because I’ve heard they’ve historically given a lot of funding, but I guess that’s not the case with me. This seems like a pretty rough year. Updated my results to include my offers. Good luck everyone!

@yellowsurfCan you please let know about funding details? I also got the admit letter which has no mention of funding

10 minutes ago, venkatsiva said:

Rejected from Harvard. Accepted into UNC without funding, slightly disappointed as my chances depend heavily on funding as someone coming from a developing country. 

I might be completely off-base here, but I know many schools do not offer financial aid or funding to international students for professional masters programs like planning. This might be university-specific, though. I just know it's difficult/impossible to qualify as an international student for the sorts of federal loans most universities in the states tend to offer. Academic scholarships on the other hand might be more readily available.

1 hour ago, venkatsiva said:

@yellowsurfCan you please let know about funding details? I also got the admit letter which has no mention of funding

No idea if the letter is the same for you, but I didn't actually realize until the third time I read through the letter (I skimmed through it twice) that mine says "While we are unable to offer you any departmental funding at this time, Carolina Planning is the most affordable top-ranked planning program in the United States" at the top of the second page.

1 hour ago, jgiara said:

I might be completely off-base here, but I know many schools do not offer financial aid or funding to international students for professional masters programs like planning. This might be university-specific, though. I just know it's difficult/impossible to qualify as an international student for the sorts of federal loans most universities in the states tend to offer. Academic scholarships on the other hand might be more readily available.

Yeah, I agree with you. I am also trying my luck with scholarships and no/low-interest loans! 

On another note, can anyone suggest if I can apply to some other good programs(top ones) that are still taking in? 

I am thinking to send my application to UCI and not sure if they will fund(they were vague in emails). Any thoughts?