GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.83; GRE – Waived

Work Experience:

Transportation city commissioner

Policy intern (x2)

Policy research assistant

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Undergraduate Professor, Principal Investigator, Internship Supervisor

Schools applied to: UNC (dual MPA/MCRP); USC (dual MPA/MUP)

In: UNC (dual MPA/MCRP; received $10K for MCRP; notified 3/1)

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:  USC

Results:

Good luck everyone!

Edited by stewiegriffin

7 hours ago, sh2405 said:

USC has already given out admits, I got it  

would anyone know approx how much USC would cost ? 

When I had written to them later this week, they said that their committee(s) have been releasing offers and if we have not heard back yet it doesn't mean that we are rejected. They were vague on timeline, and send may take till early May! I hope they really did mean it! Pretty anxious here for USC and UCLA..

1 hour ago, heyhey101 said:

holy just completed my video interview at ubc scarp.

it was pretty difficult for me. its hard to complete my ideas in 3 minutes. 

it feels very good its done. 

I hated it. Not at all what I was expecting, and I was able to answer each of my questions in 2 minutes or less. 

I panicked and started recording as soon as I had a thought. I wish I had taken it slower, but hindsight is 20/20. 

I guess we'll see what happens! 

Edited by CanPlan

21 hours ago, sh2405 said:

USC has already given out admits, I got it  

would anyone know approx how much USC would cost ? 

I think USC's estimated cost of attendance is approximately 27k, and its tuition is roughly 48k, per year. So overall 75k a year. 

9 hours ago, CanPlan said:

I hated it. Not at all what I was expecting, and I was able to answer each of my questions in 2 minutes or less. 

I panicked and started recording as soon as I had a thought. I wish I had taken it slower, but hindsight is 20/20. 

If it makes you feel better, I felt like I flopped my virtual interview with UPenn and still got in. I think they're well aware that all the applicants are stressed / nobody seems to really be good at doing virtual interviews specifically. 

17 hours ago, CanPlan said:

I hated mine as well. A lot of panicking, awkward pauses, and rambling. Had the signature "wtf should i tell them about myself" moment. 

On 1/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, austinplanning256 said:

Hey everyone! Best of luck, finishing up my last apps this week. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/M/US

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BS in Sociology /  2018

3.1 BS

Work Experience:

- Current Data Analyst for a non-profit focused on food insecurity and food systems

- 1 year planning fellowship in California with a municipality 

- AmeriCorps VISTA for a municipality's housing department

Geography PhD whose also a development manager for a municipality/ University Professor & Mentor at housing department/ Work supervisor in California

Schools applied to: NYU, UCLA, UT Austin, Cornell, Maryland, Columbia, Georgia Tech, Oregon, Cal Poly SLO

In: Cornell

Out: Oregon, NYU

Wait-list: UT Austin

Awaiting: 

Results:

Waitlisted at UT Austin

[Applied to Planning PhD programs]

Age/Gender/Citizenship

31/M/US

BS in Business / large midwest state school / 2012
MCRP / private university in the northeast / 2019

3.7 BS / 3.9 MCRP - 164V / 161Q / 5.0AW

Work Experience:

- 3 years non-planning (corporate sales after undergraduate)

- 2 years worth of various fellowships / internships before/during grad school directly related to planning

- 2 years at a non-profit doing advocacy work on (affordable) housing policy

Planning PhD who was my thesis advisor for my MCRP, 2 other professors from my MCRP program, and a former employer (planning related job)

Schools applied to: UNC, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Michigan, UC-Irvine 

Results 

In: Oregon, Michigan, UC-Irvine

Out: UNC, USC, UCLA

Thought I would share some insights for people who may look at this in the future or master's students who are considering the phd route. Happy to share any insights, but really I think for phd programs it comes down to your SOP/research interests and how they match with current faculty/their research interests--I think if I were going to push harder to get into the schools I was rejected from, I may have spent more time talking to professors and customizing the SOP to their work a bit more. (That being said, I was pretty honest with my interests to all the programs and feel like those I did get into are really supportive of my interests creating opportunities for me to do that work.)

This year was brutal because of the precarious nature of funding due to COVID, I know most phd programs I talked to had cut down their admissions by about half to ensure they preserved enough funding for current students.

Hey all  while waiting to hear from a school lol.  I thought I’d share some humble stat with you all.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

30/F/CA

Ecology and Biology / 2014/ UBC

Work Experience:

Almost 3 year in Architecture and urban design so far (mostly architecture)

5+ year volunteering at a local NPO pretty relaxant to urban planning 

other undergrad experience include some field ecology research and experience as an assistant to curator at the Beatty biodiversity museum at UBC

Prof from undergrad/ Senior associate architect / senior associate urban designer  

Schools applied; UBC 

In:

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: UBC

Results: had interview with UBC

I’m trying to keep myself busy at work and try not to come but I can’t! The interview was difficult. I felt like I should’ve said this and that. Why did I forget it.. But I wanna give myself some credit for staying true to myself and honest and consistent with my values. Hope that was one of the purposes of these speed virtual interviews.

Edited by heyhey101

Hey yall, just found this thread on r/urbanplanning. Glad to know we're all stressing through this month together haha.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/M/CA

BA in Urban Studies and Human Geography/UofT/2021

4.00 (final year), 3.45 (cGPA)

Work Experience:

Administrative Assistant, Toronto City Councillor

Administrative Assistant (Transportation Portfolio), Toronto City Councillor

Student Consultant, School of Cities

Undergraduate Professor (2), Work Supervisor

Schools applied to: UofT (MScPl), Ryerson (MUD), UBC (MCRP)

In: Ryerson, received $5,000 graduate fellowship; notified 2/5

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:  UBC, UofT

Results: Video interview with UBC; notified 3/1

Hi everyone, just made an account and I'm on mobile so I'll do that background/personal stats thing later on desktop! 

Anyways, I received a video interview invite to SCARP at UBC last Thursday and it's due this Thursday. I was meant to do it yesterday, had the whole day off, spent 8 hours procrastinating and having panic attacks over it. Didn't end up doing it. I know I'm not supposed to overthink it, but my brain is screaming "it's my whole future on the line!" so I can't help but overthink it, lol. I have really nasty video/virtual stuff anxiety and the whole thing is stressing me out. It's my dream school and dream program. It's not the questions I'm worried about, because as far as I can tell they're pretty reasonable and not technical and suitable for students coming into this without a planning background. It's my answering ability. I can have the most articulated thoughts in my head but when I open my mouth to get them out on the spot I either sit there with a blank look on my face like an Oblivion NPC or just ummmm and uhhhhh my whole way through. I'm so nervous for something simple that I really shouldn't be nervous about, it's this bloody anxiety! 

Anyone else experience panic attacks and performance anxiety over these interviews?  I find that having a script or notes is even worse because I'll end up relying on them completely, but if I don't have any, I won't think of a word to say! 

I also applied to SFU Urban Studies - no interview required, and I'll hear from them this week or the next. Kind of regretting not applying to more schools because SCARP seems out of the question with this interview catastrophe hahaha. 

4 hours ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Hi everyone, just made an account and I'm on mobile so I'll do that background/personal stats thing later on desktop! 

Anyways, I received a video interview invite to SCARP at UBC last Thursday and it's due this Thursday. I was meant to do it yesterday, had the whole day off, spent 8 hours procrastinating and having panic attacks over it. Didn't end up doing it. I know I'm not supposed to overthink it, but my brain is screaming "it's my whole future on the line!" so I can't help but overthink it, lol. I have really nasty video/virtual stuff anxiety and the whole thing is stressing me out. It's my dream school and dream program. It's not the questions I'm worried about, because as far as I can tell they're pretty reasonable and not technical and suitable for students coming into this without a planning background. It's my answering ability. I can have the most articulated thoughts in my head but when I open my mouth to get them out on the spot I either sit there with a blank look on my face like an Oblivion NPC or just ummmm and uhhhhh my whole way through. I'm so nervous for something simple that I really shouldn't be nervous about, it's this bloody anxiety! 

Anyone else experience panic attacks and performance anxiety over these interviews?  I find that having a script or notes is even worse because I'll end up relying on them completely, but if I don't have any, I won't think of a word to say! 

I also applied to SFU Urban Studies - no interview required, and I'll hear from them this week or the next. Kind of regretting not applying to more schools because SCARP seems out of the question with this interview catastrophe hahaha. 

You're not alone friend. Almost all of us had the same anxiety and I had my fair share of ummm and uhhhh moments. I knew this would happen and made good notes before hand just to get my mind rolling but blanked out a lot. I don't know if this helped but don't fret and pretend you're talking to a friend. It's slightly easier to do if you don't look directly at the camera but that defeats the purpose. Maybe call a friend and put your phone on the side and pretend you're talking to them? That might help. Otherwise I think they know that we're not very articulate during these interviews. 

4 hours ago, prospectiveplanner said:

oh yeah I experienced panic attacks. Exactly performance anxiety. Having to look at myself speaking hearing and being super self conscious.  I’m sure that’s common. I don’t have much problems articulating and being opinionated and etc in real life and in person interviews.  This is just different. You can not prepare for something like this effectively.

Now I totally leave this admission chance up to the universe

Edited by heyhey101

On 1/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, austinplanning256 said:

Hey everyone! Best of luck, finishing up my last apps this week. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/M/US

BS in Sociology /  2018

3.1 BS

Work Experience:

- Current Data Analyst for a non-profit focused on food insecurity and food systems

- 1 year planning fellowship in California with a municipality 

- AmeriCorps VISTA for a municipality's housing department

Geography PhD whose also a development manager for a municipality/ University Professor & Mentor at housing department/ Work supervisor in California

Schools applied to: NYU, UCLA, UT Austin, Cornell, Maryland, Columbia, Georgia Tech, Oregon, Cal Poly SLO

In: Cornell, Georgia Tech

Out: Oregon, NYU

Wait-list: UT Austin

Awaiting: 

Results:

In at Georgia Tech via email! No mention of funding. 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, jphd95 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/M/US

BA in Political Science, Urban Studies, 2018

3.34 - no GRE

Work Experience:

AmeriCorps VISTA - Economic Development, Regional Strategic Planning

Peace Corps - Community Development Associate

AmeriCorps VISTA - Entrepreneurship Development, Business Support Services

Undergrad professor x2 / AmeriCorps VISTA supervisor

Schools applied to: Portland State, Oregon, UIC, Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa, Kansas, New Mexico, TAMU

In: Kansas

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:  Portland State, Oregon, UIC, Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa, New Mexico, TAMU

Results:

On 2/12/2021 at 4:10 PM, jphd95 said:

In: Oregon

On 2/16/2021 at 9:45 AM, jphd95 said:

In: UIC, Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa, New Mexico

In at PSU

On 12/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, yungzuko said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

20/M/US

BA in Public Affairs (Urban Planning concentration) and Economics / Jesuit University / 2021

GPA: 3.44 / GRE: None

Work Experience:

- Research associate with a community organization doing work on placemaking and cultural asset mapping
- Senior thesis on ethnic enclaves
- Housing development internship with affordable housing nonprofit
- Advisory board member with an ethnic enclave organization doing preservation through community engagement and advocacy
- Started and manage an instagram account about ethnic communities and urban planning
- City planning intern with the city planning department
- Volunteer GIS tutor

Letter of recommendations: 

Public policy professor/thesis advisor, GIS professor, work supervisor/mentor

Schools applied to: UCLA, USC, UW, UPenn, PSU, Harvard, UT Austin

In: USC (50%), UPenn (TBA), UT Austin, PSU (TBA)

Out: Harvard

Wait-list: UW

Awaiting: UCLA

Results:

Turned down UT Austin. But if anyone isn't going to UW, pls let them know soon lol. Probably going to USC for now

On 3/4/2021 at 8:14 AM, daxdim said:

Figured I'd add my stats and results for posterity's sake -- best of luck to all my fellow applicants!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

26/M/US

BA in anthropology/ southern state school / 2015

3.47 -- 163 V/152 Q/5.0 W

Work Experience:

3+ years in research consultancy; 2 years at alma mater in international recruitment office; multiple internships during undergrad (marketing and refugee services)

One undergraduate professor/mentor and two project directors at research consultancy firm

Schools applied to (Master's): UNC, USC, Georgia Tech, Texas Southern, U of Hawaii, U of Louisville

In: UNC, USC, Texas Southern, U of Louisville; Georgia Tech; U of Hawaii

Out:

Wait-list:

Awaiting:

Results: UNC (5k for first year), USC (Merit scholarship -- full tuition), Texas Southern (no funding), U of Louisville (no funding), Georgia Tech (no funding), U of Hawaii (no funding)

UNC was my top choice but their funding offer is super low despite their reputation for being fairly generous, especially towards out of state students according to folks I spoke with. I'm guessing COVID really did a number on their funding availability this year. Still waiting to hear back from a few programs but USC's offer is a pretty convincing argument for itself! Good luck everyone still waiting to hear back from places.

Updating to reflect my last two acceptances! Very shocked but blessed to have gotten into every program I applied to. There was no mention of funding in either acceptance email, but fingers crossed GTech says something about it in the coming days. Looks a lot like Los Angeles is in my future though! :^)