Planning Admission 2021

For anyone applying to Canadian planning programs, do you know if there are any schools that have particular strengths in transit planning? I applied for UofT, UBC, and Ryerson, and although I'm generally leaning more towards UofT right now I still haven't fully decided on where to go if I get accepted to all of them.

12 minutes ago, 24IQ said:

For anyone applying to Canadian planning programs, do you know if there are any schools that have particular strengths in transit planning? I applied for UofT, UBC, and Ryerson, and although I'm generally leaning more towards UofT right now I still haven't fully decided on where to go if I get accepted to all of them.

I think it depends what you are looking for. Tell us your interests and motivations and we can maybe help!

2 minutes ago, CanPlan said:

I think it depends what you are looking for. Tell us your interests and motivations and we can maybe help!

Strong faculty and industry-relevant in the subject matter (transit planning), practical skillsets, projects where I can apply my knowledge are some of the major ones I can think off the top of my head. Obviously I've done my bit of research on the pros and cons of each program, but I've been having trouble getting any info specifically related to transit planning.

This is my impression of the schools so far (from a general perspective, not specifically transit planning)

• UBC - Good mix of theory and practice (especially because of their capstone project), and the PAB certification is a big plus in case I ever want to go down to the States. Major concern is that I'm planning on living in Toronto after I graduate, so it'd be harder for me to find jobs and get used Ontario's planning system.
  • UofT - Much more theory-oriented, but their internship program and final paper will probably fill the practicality side of things to a certain degree. Strong faculty, strong curriculum, and it's got good name value as a plus.
  • Ryerson - Highly practical program that teaches you all the skills, but don't know much about their theory side of things. Not too sure how much weight the degree will carry outside Ontario/Canada.

Any help/suggestions/tips would be great!

5 minutes ago, 24IQ said:

Strong faculty and industry-relevant in the subject matter (transit planning), practical skillsets, projects where I can apply my knowledge are some of the major ones I can think off the top of my head. Obviously I've done my bit of research on the pros and cons of each program, but I've been having trouble getting any info specifically related to transit planning.

This is my impression of the schools so far (from a general perspective, not specifically transit planning)

• UBC - Good mix of theory and practice (especially because of their capstone project), and the PAB certification is a big plus in case I ever want to go down to the States. Major concern is that I'm planning on living in Toronto after I graduate, so it'd be harder for me to find jobs and get used Ontario's planning system.
  • UofT - Much more theory-oriented, but their internship program and final paper will probably fill the practicality side of things to a certain degree. Strong faculty, strong curriculum, and it's got good name value as a plus.
  • Ryerson - Highly practical program that teaches you all the skills, but don't know much about their theory side of things. Not too sure how much weight the degree will carry outside Ontario/Canada.

Any help/suggestions/tips would be great!

I think UofT is the only one that actually offers a concentration in transportation planning. 

UBC does through their build your own concentration approach, but to be honest their transportation planning faculty is a bit lacking (there are a few, and even then it seems like transportation planning is secondary among their interests).

Otherwise I think Ryerson checks all of the boxes and is a great program. If you want to stay in Ontario then I wouldn't worry about the name of the school. Ryerson is an awesome program, and it would have been my top choice if moving to Toronto was an option. 

1 hour ago, 24IQ said:

I think anywhere in Toronto would do .. based on my experience with some industry people in big global corporate headquartered in Toronto and your understanding of school. Idk if you’re also thinking about transportation planning in concept of smart city as well but speak in that regards, I know Toronto is way ahead. I think public are genuinely more interested there, as shown from (the cancelled) sidewalk lab project. As well I had an interview last year for a big corporate based in Toronto for a vancouver job  (architecture engineering and planning etc) that they actually DO have projects in Toronto regarding smart city as well as transportation.  I can only speak from architecture and things in regards to smart city and industry capacity here. Vancouver is behind Toronto. 

idk if you also wanna live and work in Vancouver. But there are way more big offices there. Build your skills experience there. Transfer here. You will have more chance that way. 

Excuse my typos since I’m typing on phone. 

5 hours ago, lovesgrayweather said:

Just dropping in to advise anyone interested in WRGP tuition to check in with each school. I was under the impression that all eligible students who request WRGP on an application would receive the discount upon admission. That is definitely not the case! It works just like funding.

Also, does anyone have advice on choosing programs that do offer more focus on theory? How would you go about looking for this? (For example, identifying programs with thesis routes.) I am undecided on a career in planning vs. academia, but I would like the option to pursue a path in research, so I'm hoping to narrow down some choices with that in mind.

You don’t have to graduate from accredited program to work in the field. As long as you prove your practical skills. And that’s why they ask for your portfolio and project. They wanna know whether you can get job done quickly. 

The difference between accredited (planning program) and going for research program (assuming that is not accredited) is often courses / experience like intern hours required by the professional planning board you’re interested. 

you can’t assume accredited program is necessarily practical. Yes It is practical than research in a way (cause you spend more credits for research courses and thesis etc).

check with schools tell them you’re interested in research program but still looking to be a professional planner. And ask if you’re allowed to graduate late  to get all the requirement set by the professional body.

I know UBC that planning research program shared few basic planning foundation courses with accredited program. I also considered research route one time. I think I saw on planning board website that these research students at ubc used to be able to become registered professional planning board. I’m thinking that research route would’ve been much longer to allow those students to meet all the requirement. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:59 PM, mightybruinss said:

Hey JBourne! I think I bumped into you on reddit. I'll be one of the people submitting my apps just before my deadlines next week... but can't wait to finally get it done. Good luck to everyone applying this round. Being able to submit applications with everything going on is an achievement within itself.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

26/M/US
1st Gen Graduate/Applicant

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BA in History / UCLA / 2016
Transfer from CA Junior College / 2014

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.55 GPA (Upper Divs) - No GRE

Work Experience:

2+ years in Community & Economic Development for a Local Govt Agency (focus on Affordable Housing, Community, and Economic Development)
2 years in local community development and public works construction non-profit orgs

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Undergrad prof, 2 former supervisors

Schools applied to: UCLA, UC Berkeley

In: UCLA

Out: UC BERKELEY

Wait-list:

Awaiting:

Results:

IN AT UCLA MURP!!! Going to be a double bruin! GO BRUINS! :) 

edit: I received an email from the admissions advisor. My portal hasn't been updated. Also no funding info yet.

Edited by mightybruinss

On 2/17/2021 at 10:10 AM, anxiousplanner said:

The wait is making me more than a little nutty, so I'm caving and posting here after trying unsuccessfully to stop checking this site. The fact that Berkeley and UIC (two of my top picks) have started sending acceptances is making me pretty nervous, but I'm trying to take solace in the fact that so many others also haven't heard anything. Maybe it's not bad news this year?

Age/Gender/Citizenship

28/F/US

BA in Geography / good state school / 2013

3.4 BA - No GRE

Work Experience:

7+ years total, tangentially related to planning. 3 years doing community organizing for a union, 3 years for a small business development program, 1.5 years for a company that builds innovation spaces. SOP tries to make the connection to planning (my interests are in economic development, inequality, & racial wealth gap), but I'm now doubting myself. 

Letter of recommendations: 

All former or current managers, no academic letters.

Schools applied to: UC Berkeley, UCLA, Rutgers (dual with MPP), UIC, USC (dual with MPP)

In: UIC, Rutgers (dual with MPP), UCLA

Out: Berkeley

Wait-list

Awaiting: USC (dual with MPP)

Results:

In at UCLA!!!!! This was my first choice school, so I'm over the moon.

Edited by anxiousplanner

Waitlisted at UCLA. :( I’m honestly a little surprised and disappointed. But I was told that UCLA got over twice the amount of applications it did in the previous year, so it makes sense. I’m just glad the wait is over now. Congrats to everyone else! You all deserve it.

Edited by yellowsurf

On 2/27/2021 at 1:56 AM, venkatsiva said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/M/India

Development Studies/Best Technical(Public/ 2021

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.8 GPA/ 165V, 163Q, 4 AWA/ 110 

Work Experience:

NGO related Urban Issues

Research Experience:

Couple of research fellowships (MITAACS, Shastri, Canada), Masters Research Thesis

Letter of recommendations: 

Two professors with PhDs from Top Schools in US, One senior Professor on campus

Schools applied to:   Berkeley, UCLA, Harvard, USC, UNC, UIUC, Cornell

In: UIUC, Cornell, UCLA, UNC

Out: Berkeley, Harvard

Wait-list: 

Awaiting: USC

In at UCLA!!

On 2/23/2021 at 3:40 PM, plannerd97 said:

Another long time lurker here... figured it was only fair to share some stats :)

Age/Gender/Citizenship

23/F/US

BS Urban Planning- large public university in US, 2019

3.97 BS; 157Q, 158V, 5.5 W (didn't submit unless it was required) 

Work Experience:

~2 years in transportation planning, a couple of relevant internships, and research experience. 

Former boss, former professor, former professor/dept chair/thesis advisor 

Schools applied to: UCLA, Berkeley, UIUC, Michigan

In: UCLA, Berkeley, UIUC, Michigan

Out:

Wait-list:

In at UCLA!!! No mention of funding in the email, hopefully to come with official letter? 

Edited by plannerd97

Hey all! I've been following this thread for a while as I waited anxiously to hear back. I thought I'd share my stats and results to join in on the discussion as we near April 15th.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/F/India

Bachelor of Architecture / Top university in the Middle East / 2018

3.08  - GRE 146(V) 148(Q) 3.5(AW), TOEFL-110, IELTS-8.5

My GRE isn't the best but I knew most schools wouldn't ask for it this year.

Work Experience:

2+ years in an Architecture firm; several internships for low-cost fabrication and built projects; volunteer experience in Zanzibar to help build amenities for school children (main motivation to pursue planning and development)

I plan to focus on International Development and Planning

Combination of Studio Professors from Architecture school; Current boss

Schools applied to: NYU, Rutgers, UNC, UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Harvard GSD, UIUC, UMich

In: NYU, Rutgers, UIUC

Out: Berkeley, Harvard GSD, UMich

Wait-list: UNC, UCLA

Awaiting: USC

Results:

NYU Denied funding which makes it very difficult for me to afford.

Rutgers gave me 50% scholarship as well the opportunity for GA/TA positions.

UIUC no news of funding yet.

My top choice is UCLA but unfortunately I am not in yet.

7 hours ago, yungzuko said:

Is UCLA trickling out with admissions or did everyone hear at the same time?? Didn't hear anything and getting a bit worried!

It looked like a Mail Merge, so could be at once for batches of people

This thread had been immensely helpful during the waiting process. So hope someone find this helpful!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

26/F/Intl

BA Political Science and Urban Studies, 2019

3.54 - waived - 107

Work Experience:

1.5 years in INGO as intern and program assistant (duty stationed in developing countries)

5 months as researcher in public institutions 

Two undergrad professors and one from current supervisor 

Schools applied to: Cornell, UNC, UCLA, USC, Rutgers, Penn

In: Cornell (Assistantship), UNC, UCLA, Rutgers (half tuition waiver)

Out: Penn

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:  USC

Results:

My interest is in intersection of environmental planning and spatial analysis. Esp in disaster risk and climate change. So far, among the schools I had been admitted to, I am drawn to UCLA. (of course, I have to negotiate the tuition waiver with other schools before declining Rutgers) It is because, for other schools, the concentration is called environmental planning (or land use and environmental planning), while the UCLA calls it environmental analysis and policy. Whichever I choose, I want to come out of the program with solid gis and other analytical skills. Cornell seems to have courses on statistics, which is a plus for me but less emphasis on gis. Please do correct me if I am mistaken, I am just speaking from generic impression after skimming through the official website. If anyone is going through similar thoughts or have insight on these programs, please do share them! It would be so helpful in making up my mind!

Edited by mupp

Waitlisted UCLA crew reporting for duty!

In all seriousness, would've been cool to get in - but for many reasons, finances included, I was kind of hoping they rejected me just to make my decision easier. I quite literally applied on a whim when I heard that the GRE was being cancelled. Probably spent the same $280 applying and getting rejected/not going to Cal/UCLA than if I just took the damn test haha.

For all those who didn't get in to UCLA or are waitlisted and it was your top choice, seems like most of you at least got into some other really good schools. I tried and failed going the non-school route, by applying for jobs in the planning field after 3-4 years as a paralegal. Went to like 4-5 interviews in early 2020 pre-pandemic and got reeeejjjjjeccctteed from all, "not enough experience". I had zero relevant work experience and my undergrad was in IR where I wrote my thesis on Serbia's EU integration chances haha.

All of us going to school now will be getting some of that relevant experience both in school and with internships, no matter where we go. We've got our foot in the door! Keep your head up!

Edited by jbourne1

For those waitlisted at UCLA: Does anyone have an idea as to what the chances are of being accepted from the waitlist? Or when we might know? I have offers from other schools, but UCLA has been my top choice for a while. I am especially worried, as I assume most waitlist decisions come out after April 15th, which is my deadline to notify most other schools and I wouldn't want to send in a deposit elsewhere only to find out I could be accepted into UCLA later. Any thoughts? 

32 minutes ago, cityplace_uptown said:

For everyone who has gotten funding or assistantship info from Rutgers so far, when did you get notified? Their admissions rep told me they started releasing this info in small batches on Wednesday without a particular order in mind.

I got mine the week after my admission results, somewhere around early March

36 minutes ago, cityplace_uptown said:

For everyone who has gotten funding or assistantship info from Rutgers so far, when did you get notified? Their admissions rep told me they started releasing this info in small batches on Wednesday without a particular order in mind.

I still haven't heard anything from Rutgers re: funding. I was notified of my decision a few weeks ago at this point, 2/23. I was considering reaching out today to see if they had an update on timelines, or whether the silence meant I wasn't getting funding.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, GreenerUtopia18 said:

Hi All, just received my acceptance from USC today! 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

31/M/US

B.S. in Business from top 20 school / 2018

Undergrad GPA 3.3

No GRE

Work Experience:

2 years at top professional services firm 

2 from professors, 1 from employer 

Schools applied to: 

USC, UCLA, Harvard

In:

- USC 2/19 (50% scholarship)

Out:

Harvard

Wait-list: 

UCLA 

Awaiting: 

Out at Harvard and Waitlisted at UCLA. 

Looks like it’s USC for me! As someone who is shifting careers, I was definitely nervous about having zero experience in the field and am grateful for USC’s offer. For any future applicants out there looking to get into urban planning with no prior experience in the field, there is hope! 

Just now, anxiousplanner said:

I still haven't heard anything from Rutgers re: funding. I was notified of my decision a few weeks ago at this point, 2/23. I was considering reaching out today to see if they had an update on timelines, or whether the silence meant I wasn't getting funding.

I'm in the same situation. Based on what I was told, you shouldn't count yourself out yet! I'm definitely getting impatient about it though so I was wondering what others had to say.

21 minutes ago, drew.m.b said:

For those waitlisted at UCLA: Does anyone have an idea as to what the chances are of being accepted from the waitlist? Or when we might know? I have offers from other schools, but UCLA has been my top choice for a while. I am especially worried, as I assume most waitlist decisions come out after April 15th, which is my deadline to notify most other schools and I wouldn't want to send in a deposit elsewhere only to find out I could be accepted into UCLA later. Any thoughts? 

Yeah, I was told that we won’t find out until after April 15th which is a bit excruciating. Also curious about the chances of still getting in.

Edited by GreenerUtopia18