Planning Admission 2021

24 minutes ago, austinplanning256 said:

Georgia Tech folks - spoke with a current student yesterday and they said they received their funding letter a week after receiving their official admission letter. So we should get clarity about funding soon. 

Actually got my funding letter from them this morning -- had almost given up on them offering anything!

Just got accepted to SFU Urban Studies! Well, a provisional offer - they emailed saying I will soon be receiving my official acceptance from the Dean. 

Super relieved! My first ever grad school acceptance! My first choice is SCARP because it's accredited but it looks highly unlikely for me so I'm over the moon that I got into this program. It'll be a long and hard road to becoming a registered planner without an accredited degree, but they are so difficult to get into, and it is what it is. I'm just super happy anyways. Major confidence boost too! Incredible start to my day.

Anyone else considering SFU's MURB although it's not accredited? 

Edited by prospectiveplanner

5 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Just got accepted to SFU Urban Studies! Well, a provisional offer - they emailed saying I will soon be receiving my official acceptance from the Dean. 

I haven't received anything, but that's OK since I'll be declining this one anyways (if an offer comes through). It will be the MRM planning program at SFU or SCARP for me. Still waiting for SCARP.  

Just now, CanPlan said:

I haven't received anything, but that's OK since I'll be declining this one anyways (if an offer comes through). It will be the MRM planning program at SFU or SCARP for me. Still waiting for SCARP.  

Fingers crossed for you! Manifesting that SCARP acceptance for both of us haha. I love the class offerings in the Urban Studies one and also that classes are in the evenings (!) and my only issue is of course the accredation. The MURB is very affordable too.

If I don't get into SCARP I'll have to think for a bit if I want to go the non-accredited route or if I should wait for a year to apply again, but at this stage of my life I'm quite ready to get on with it all. I worry that I'll regret that though when I can't find my five years of required planning work:/ Ah, we'll see. I'll chat with SFU about my options and concerns if it ends up being them. 

Just now, MildlyJaded said:

Am I the only one getting more than a bit annoyed at UBC, McGill, and Toronto's slow speed? Almost as if we don't have other plans to make, other things to do, a mental weight to shed? Especially for international students with a volatile exchange rate and visas to contend with?

YEPP. Apparently first round for UofT went out on the 12th?

Just now, MildlyJaded said:

Really? Haven't seen anything

Was posted on the results page today. Apparently first round is out and they have until April 2nd to reply. Everyone who hasn't been outright rejected is unofficially waitlisted... it's the first I've heard from anyone. Not sure if it's true. I wonder if anyone else has contacted program admin?

Just now, numenor said:

Was posted on the results page today. Apparently first round is out and they have until April 2nd to reply. Everyone who hasn't been outright rejected is unofficially waitlisted... it's the first I've heard from anyone. Not sure if it's true. I wonder if anyone else has contacted program admin?

Thanks for the info! Nothing for me.

What do you mean by the results page?

11 minutes ago, MildlyJaded said:

Am I the only one getting more than a bit annoyed at UBC, McGill, and Toronto's slow speed? Almost as if we don't have other plans to make, other things to do, a mental weight to shed? Especially for international students with a volatile exchange rate and visas to contend with?

Hey I’m mildly annoyed personally. Maybe because I only have one option, applied to only one school ?. Anxiety is killing me! But to be fair I believe on the week of 20 something is usually when UBC seems to send out offers every year. 

After that interview most of us didnt like, I was also thinking they could be sending out offers early ish like this week. But I guess not and that’s fine. 

1 hour ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Just got accepted to SFU Urban Studies!

I guess I just had to be patient, because my offer came through a few minutes ago. I appreciate it wasn't an automated email as they actually mentioned many of the specifics from my application (but spelled my name wrong). 

11 minutes ago, heyhey101 said:

After that interview most of us didnt like, I was also thinking they could be sending out offers early ish like this week.

Or maybe we all blew it and that's why we aren't hearing back haha

6 minutes ago, CanPlan said:

My mentor’s daughter also applied to a different professional grad program at UBC this cycle and had to do the same interview format. Now I know it’s not just SCARP! Maybe...maybe it’s more of a school wide thing now to implement this kinda interview?

45 minutes ago, CanPlan said:

I guess I just had to be patient, because my offer came through a few minutes ago. I appreciate it wasn't an automated email as they actually mentioned many of the specifics from my application (but spelled my name wrong). 

Congrats!!! Yeah Meg who emailed me was super nice. I'll be glad to reach out to her if I do end up doing it. 

Edit: Did your actual acceptance come through or the email letting you know you will be getting it?

Hahahahahaha can you imagine if we all messed up that interview 

Edited by prospectiveplanner

1 minute ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Congrats!!! Yeah Meg who emailed me was super nice. I'll be glad to reach out to her if I do end up doing it. 

Edit: Did your actual acceptance come through or the email letting you know you will be getting it?

Yeah I had previously emailed Meg before about something and she was great, and also responded right away. I heard from someone else this time. 

For now I only received the email. 

Based on how my MRM application went, we'll receive an automated email/official offer letter from the Dean. At that time the application portal updates and we have the options to accept or reject our offers. It took a few weeks to receive the official MRM offer, but I think that was because that program is very on top of things and was in touch with me about everything a long time ago (before the university was sending official offers to anyone). I assume the official M.Urb offer will come in a few days.

1 hour ago, CanPlan said:

Yeah I had previously emailed Meg before about something and she was great, and also responded right away. I heard from someone else this time. 

For now I only received the email. 

Based on how my MRM application went, we'll receive an automated email/official offer letter from the Dean. At that time the application portal updates and we have the options to accept or reject our offers. It took a few weeks to receive the official MRM offer, but I think that was because that program is very on top of things and was in touch with me about everything a long time ago (before the university was sending official offers to anyone). I assume the official M.Urb offer will come in a few days.

Sweet. Do you know how long we have to accept or decline the offers? If I end up waitlisted at SCARP til mid-April I might be in trouble... 

23 hours ago, MURPApplicant said:

Hey all! I've been accepted to USC's MUP with the Dean's Merit Scholarship, which is covering 75% of my tuition. Does anyone know how much the tuition for USC's MUP program is? I know there are other fees on top of tuition sometimes. I've tried reaching out to them via email, but they haven't been responsive at all. It's been frustrating, since I'm trying to finalize my decision as to which school I should attend :(

In this same exact boat. I got the 75% merit as well. From what I can find online, they say each unit is $1,938 and if you take 12 units each semester then that totals $23,256/semester? With 75% off then that leaves $5,814/semester for tuition if my math is right. It would be easier if they just calculated everything for you so we'd know exactly what we're coming out of pocket ? 

On 3/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, 24IQ said:

For anyone applying to Canadian planning programs, do you know if there are any schools that have particular strengths in transit planning? I applied for UofT, UBC, and Ryerson, and although I'm generally leaning more towards UofT right now I still haven't fully decided on where to go if I get accepted to all of them.

I heard that Mcgill was very transit oriented for planning. However UofT would be the second choice for transportation planning.