Planning Admission 2021

36 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Those who got in at SCARP, what does it say in your portal under submitted applications? Mine says "in progress" - do yours say "accepted" or something? 

Mine still just says submitted and haven’t received an email yet. However on the top it does say in progress!

Edited by oliviaplanning

1 hour ago, heyhey101 said:

In at scarp!! Hooray!! Lets go class 2023

1 hour ago, PlanningPanic said:

Just got into UBC as well! 

1 hour ago, willplanning said:

Just got an offer from SCARP by email 5 minutes ago! 

Congrats! Was it an automated email, or a personal message from someone in the department? 

I

9 minutes ago, Aaron G said:

rejected from SCARP :( absolutely devastated. those who got in, would you be able to tell me a little bit about your application and experience? I did get a video interview, and not sure where my application lacked

I'm so sorry:( Fingers crossed for other opportunities for you. Onwards and upwards. May I ask how you found out you are rejected? My portal doesn't say anything and I haven't gotten any emails. 

2 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

I

I'm so sorry:( Fingers crossed for other opportunities for you. Onwards and upwards. May I ask how you found out you are rejected? My portal doesn't say anything and I haven't gotten any emails. 

I received two emails; one sent on behalf of leonora angeles and the other just a generic rejection email

Just now, Vancouver Planner said:

likewise, just brutal. i feel like i didn't do a great job on my interview and that was what did me in..

Same. Plus it's not easy when english isn't your first language :) Like yeah i have a 164 gre verbal but it takes time to process thoughts and translate them. Anyway. Onwards and upwards

Do waitlisters get told they're waitlisted or left in purgatory? It seems to go either way on the gradadmissions subreddit. I hope they let me know what's up soon because I need to know so I can start making decisions... If I go to SCARP I have to move, but with SFU I don't... aaaah.

18 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Do waitlisters get told they're waitlisted or left in purgatory? It seems to go either way on the gradadmissions subreddit. I hope they let me know what's up soon because I need to know so I can start making decisions... If I go to SCARP I have to move, but with SFU I don't... aaaah.

just got a waitlist email-- wondering how i'm supposed to move to canada if the next application update will be in late april. screaming, lol 

Edited by pinotandplanning

9 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Omg I still haven't gotten a single thing... am I in...am I out... am I on waitlist purgatory... am I even alive...

LOL this thread has become a "cry about SCARP" thread I'm sorry @ everyone hahahaha

im literally here dying .. I need to know!!! 

58 minutes ago, Vancouver Planner said:

rejected from SCARP :( absolutely devastated. those who got in, would you be able to tell me a little bit about your application and experience? I did get a video interview, and not sure where my application lacked

Sorry to hear, did you apply elsewhere?

Just now, robbyJP2021 said:

Sorry to hear, did you apply elsewhere?

I did not! I'm based in vancouver and am really able to move for a variety of reasons.

i'm older (29), have a masters in history from NYU (with applicable academic experience), work as a management consultant full time and own a company that i operate on evenings/weekends. no direct planning experience or fields of study (other than what i did in history). 3.95 gpa in my masters, 79% CGPA from western (much higher average in upper level courses). think i flubbed my interview, but would love to know what successful applicants profile is like? will definitely be re applying next year and hoping there's things i can accomplish between now and then to make myself more competitive 

also - does anyone have any insight into whether the interview was really the critical component of the application? or just another part of it?

many thanks everyone, and again my heartfelt congratulations to those of you who were accepted!!!

For those of us waiting to hear from UBC, here is how I am rationalizing it: 

1. We didn't receive an acceptance email - BAD
  2. We weren't rejected - GOOD
  3. We didn't receive a wait list email - WHAT? 

Based on the other programs I was admitted to (and from when I first went to grad school), admission emails typically come from our potential advisor. Unfortunately this is not coordinated well, so they are sent at various times throughout the day. 

So maybe the faculty member we may work with is a little behind on their emails? I hope! I'm trying to stay optimistic. 

Edit: Someone said the rejection email came from Leonora Angeles, and it looks like she is the faculty member in charge of MCRP admissions. So, I assume that was a generic email that went out to everyone waitlisted and rejected. I think that is a good sign for everyone who has not heard. 

Edited by CanPlan

19 minutes ago, CanPlan said:

For those of us waiting to hear from UBC, here is how I am rationalizing it: 

1. We didn't receive an acceptance email - BAD
  2. We weren't rejected - GOOD
  3. We didn't receive a wait list email - WHAT? 

Based on the other programs I was admitted to (and from when I first went to grad school), admission emails typically come from our potential advisor. Unfortunately this is not coordinated well, so they are sent at various times throughout the day. 

So maybe the faculty member we may work with is a little behind on their emails? I hope! I'm trying to stay optimistic. 

HAHAHAHA same. Thank you for shedding some light on this. Hoping I hear something, literally anything, soon. Even if it's a rejection, I just want to know so I can start planning (no pun intended) my life ASAP. 

Those who got emails from SCARP (either in, out, or waitlisted) what AoCs did you express interest in? I wonder if the emails went out based on the concentrations people chose and how many seats are available for each. I know the Indigenous stream has very limited spots. Anyone choose a custom AoC? I chose Transportation and Urban Design.