Planning Admission 2021

On 3/28/2021 at 8:52 PM, futureplanner said:

Decisions, decisions.. Is anyone planning to reject an offer from their top choice schools based solely on lack of funding?

I’m currently deciding between my top choice and another school... my top would cost an extra $10k total, so I’m trying to weigh whether that’s worth it or not!

1 hour ago, planning said:

I’m currently deciding between my top choice and another school... my top would cost an extra $10k total, so I’m trying to weigh whether that’s worth it or not!

May be an unpopular opinion, but $10k in the long run is not something that should keep you from going to a place you really want - especially if it's your top choice and/or there's a big difference in quality between the other school and your top choice. $10k is still a lot of money, but in terms of ROI and other tangible/intangible benefits gained from that $10k, it isn't much over a period of time. 

Now obviously there are different factors that may make the $10k difference generally unappealing. It all depends on what your set of preferences for grad school are. But if I were deciding between my top choice and anything else, I absolutely would choose to take on an extra $10k for the 'better' choice. 

3 hours ago, planning said:

I feel like it sort of depends on how much debt you'd take with the 'other school' as well though as well as how much debt you currently have. If your top school leaves you just $10k in debt with the other school free, I feel like that's a lot more palatable (IMO) than if it's $30k vs $40k, if that's on top of like $20k loans from undergrad. 

$10k of debt might take a few years to pay off with aggressing saving (probably longer tbh). But you'd want to work your first job, get settled into your new environment, etc. for about that long anyways. But would you feel okay with not having options after a decade? Two? What if you want to be a stay at home parent some day or decide you're more passionate about a lower paying position? I've personally been looking as debt as a question of time, not money strictly. 

I agree with above poster though. If it's going to make a lifetime of satisfaction, I've definitely seen people blow $10k on much more frivolous things simply for life satisfaction. 

On 3/31/2021 at 5:20 AM, rio2sp said:

Yep. UCLA out-of-state :( Hope someone on the waitlist gets the spot soon! 

How much is UCLA out-of-state tuition?

On 3/31/2021 at 2:50 PM, jimifernando said:

Hi everybody! 
Any body applied to the MES Planning Program at York University? 
Any results?

I applied to that program. I most likely will not go if I get in. I also got a good offer for MA Planning at Waterloo, but not really keen on either since they both contain thesis requirements.  Although if I had to choose, would pick Waterloo over York. 

Has anyone had any luck requesting and/or negotiating more funding from UCLA? 

I also unfortunately had to miss the entire UCLA admitted students day last week due to scheduling conflicts and apparently they are the only school to not record the sessions... Any highlights? Or any resources you got from the event that were particularly helpful? 

7 hours ago, McFrench said:

Has anyone had any luck requesting and/or negotiating more funding from UCLA? 

I also unfortunately had to miss the entire UCLA admitted students day last week due to scheduling conflicts and apparently they are the only school to not record the sessions... Any highlights? Or any resources you got from the event that were particularly helpful? 

No luck on funding for out-of-state! Only "aid" offered was loans, which sucks! Doesn't seem like UCLA gives good aid to out-of-state students, but could be wrong. good luck

28 minutes ago, numenor said:

Anyone else still "In Review" for McGill? Saw that they sent official waitlist notifications today... looks like another rejection for me. :( Bahp.

Same! No updates, but still in review. We'll hear soon. 

My application is still pending for the PhD program at Ohio State.  I emailed the graduate coordinator for the program and he said it is not a denial and still in review. Aargh.

15 minutes ago, numenor said:

Officially rejected @ McGill. Sooooooo relieved to finally know! 

Hoping for some closure from UofT next week as well. ?

Still no word from McGill for me! Email or did you check your application status? I'm sure mine is coming. 

8 minutes ago, CanPlan said:

Still no word from McGill for me! Email or did you check your application status? I'm sure mine is coming. 

Email to check portal where "refusal" letter was waiting... had a chuckle at that verbiage. Good luck! 

On 3/18/2021 at 12:49 PM, austinplanning256 said:

Georgia Tech folks - spoke with a current student yesterday and they said they received their funding letter a week after receiving their official admission letter. So we should get clarity about funding soon. 

Has anyone heard anything about funding from Georgia Tech?  I have not received any information at all and the program hasn't answered any of my emails.  Would really be nice to know if this is even remotely a financially viable option.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, earlpe said:

Has anyone heard anything about funding from Georgia Tech?  I have not received any information at all and the program hasn't answered any of my emails.  Would really be nice to know if this is even remotely a financially viable option.

I know the deadline to accept is tomorrow so you might have already gotten an answer and made a decision, but I haven't heard anything either. At their open house, I asked about it and they said that most funding offers were already sent out a couple weeks ago, and the rest won't be sent until after April 15. So it's still possible to receive funding if you haven't heard yet, but you probably won't find out before the deadline tomorrow.

1 hour ago, planning said:

I know the deadline to accept is tomorrow so you might have already gotten an answer and made a decision, but I haven't heard anything either. At their open house, I asked about it and they said that most funding offers were already sent out a couple weeks ago, and the rest won't be sent until after April 15. So it's still possible to receive funding if you haven't heard yet, but you probably won't find out before the deadline tomorrow.

I ended up emailing the program director on Friday asking for an update.  He said all funding offers had already gone out but that they would reallocate funding offered to students who declined admission after 4/15.

I have better offers, so I declined.