American Studies Fall 2021??

Zambfever

Is anyone else planning to apply to American Studies this cycle? The forum seems pretty empty!

I am a little discouraged by so many programs putting their admissions on hold, but I thought I might as well give it a shot anyways. I am a little worried that it will be even harder to get in now, and COVID has definitely left me feeling super exhausted about the whole process. Anyone else feeling like that?

I am also applying to American studies programs this cycle as well as Anthropology. 

Although a lot of programs are putting their admissions on hold I did not let it deter me. I have been warned by various faculty that due to the pandemic they are accepting fewer students. Although that does make me a little worried I already started the process so I feel like I should finish it. 

• 1 month later...

I applied to seven PhD programs including U Michigan American Culture, NYU American Studies, GW American Studies, and USC American Studies and Ethnicity. Additionally, I applied to UC San Diego Ethnic Studies, UC Berkeley Performance Studies, and Northwestern Performance Studies. I was certainly discouraged by all the programs that announced they wouldn’t be accepting applications (Purdue even did so after I applied), but since I am in a graduate preparatory program I couldn’t give up. I’m not too hopeful for this cycle but I will be reapplying next year and possibly applying to some masters of art history programs (the field my BA is in and the field I work in) as well. Best of luck to everyone, I hope we hear very soon! 

• 2 weeks later...

I vowed myself to not look at gradcafe at all during this cycle, but here I am ?. I also applied to three American Studies PhD's (and two other MA's). I was really discouraged that so many programs decided to not accept applications this year. I have one acceptance so far (USC), but I'm still waiting to hear back from other places to compare offers (if I get lucky enough to be accepted anywhere else) and negotiate. Good luck to everyone! 

Edited by bea_bea

Congratulations on your USC acceptance! Do you mind if I inquire as to whether you have a Masters and if this is your first cycle applying to PhDs? I am just feeling really discouraged and thinking about whether or not I should apply again next cycle if things don't work out this year, or if I should consider Masters programs for the time being. 

8 hours ago, sadficus said:

Congratulations on your USC acceptance! Do you mind if I inquire as to whether you have a Masters and if this is your first cycle applying to PhDs? I am just feeling really discouraged and thinking about whether or not I should apply again next cycle if things don't work out this year, or if I should consider Masters programs for the time being. 

Thank you! I actually do not have a masters and this is my first time applying. I have a solid undergraduate research background which I think helped a lot but  I also think that the work/opportunities I had after graduating made my CV a lot more stronger. Two years ago when I graduated from college I would not have been able to write a concise and well thought out SOP, but having different research and work opportunities and really more life experience in the past two years made it so that I could. 

To be honest, I didn't really think I would get any acceptances this year, specially because what I've been hearing is that so many schools are accepting less students due to funding. I was already in the process of looking for jobs when I got the call from admissions and it was a huge shock. 

I just wish this waiting game would be over, regardless of results! I'm honestly confused as to why USC hasn't sent out rejections yet? Just get on with it ya'll. I need some closure. I am also waiting to hear back from NYU, U Mich, and GWU. 

The only American Studies program I’ve heard back from is USC (with a rejection). I’m still waiting to hear back from U Mich, GWU, NYU, and UC San Diego Ethnic Studies. I was losing my mind until I landed an interview with Northwestern Performance Studies. Hoping the excitement for that will carry me through the rest of this long and torturous season. 

Just heard from UMichigan American Culture. Rejected. Very generic rejection letter, saying they received many applicants, etc. I don't really feel bad about it - more than anything I'm glad to know of a decision. Now if NYU would hurry up and let me know.