Applications for September 2021

Paulyo83

17 minutes ago, foxfire123 said:I spoke with a few staff and faculty during the application process, and they all seemed to agree that the pandemic may delay the application review process since it's the first time they've had to do a bulk of it online. Also, winter and spring terms either just began or are about to begin, and there's general political unrest on top of everything. It's helped my anxiety to know that professors probably have more pressing priorities at the moment. 

Ooh, that's good to know! Thanks for sharing that there may be a delay. Love that this group tries to think positively... anything optimistic really helps at the moment. 

I hope we (uci folks) hear back good news (interview requests) sometime this week so we can just start celebrating something!! We need something good to hear going further into 2021 ??

Edited by sunnyside

7 hours ago, sunnyside said:

Thanks for sharing that there may be a delay.

I just re-read my reply to yours, and I think I phrased it in a confusing way! I spoke with staff members and faculty from different schools (including two that were UC's, one being UCLA). I actually received no reply from UC Irvine, staff or faculty... :(

I meant that the non-Irvine people seemed to think there would be a delay, so I thought it could be applied to other schools as well. I'm sorry if this causes any disappointment. But yes yes yes, best of luck to you and all of us UC folks :)

Hi ! I just wanted to pop into this thread to follow if anyone had heard from UCI in regards to interviews, decisions, or status updates. I emailed the school of education last week. In the email, she stated “The admission process takes time and we have rolling admissions.  If the admission committee feels strongly about your candidacy you will be contacted by an admission committee member with in the next month and a half or more or as the decisions are being made.” My status of my application hasn’t changed and still says submitted. Is anyone else in the same waiting situation? I applied to UCI’s PhD in Education (TLEI). 

5 minutes ago, Scholarmama said:

Is anyone else in the same waiting situation? I applied to UCI’s PhD in Education (TLEI). 

Hello, yes! I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't heard anything back but I did connect with my POI back in December and they told me that interviews would take place in Jan. So, I'm just crossing my fingers each day. I did see that couple folks (2) got interview requests this week. 

17 minutes ago, sunnyside said:

Hello, yes! I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't heard anything back but I did connect with my POI back in December and they told me that interviews would take place in Jan. So, I'm just crossing my fingers each day. I did see that couple folks (2) got interview requests this week. 

Thank you so much for your response! I definitely keep checking if the status has changed on my application. Fingers crossed we’ll hear something in the next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Scholarmama said:

“The admission process takes time and we have rolling admissions.  If the admission committee feels strongly about your candidacy you will be contacted by an admission committee member with in the next month and a half or more or as the decisions are being made.”

That.... is very vague hahaha. 

I know people are feeling nervous about Irvine, myself included. I was re-organizing the table I made for this application cycle, and when I looked back at past results for UCI, I realized that there were always waaaay more interview invites by now -- perhaps all. It could be that GradCafe is a total ghost town this year, but I think it's more likely that everything has been delayed a couple of weeks due to COVID. In-person visitation weeks, which usually take place during the first couple weeks of March, are essentially impossible this year, so I wonder if that has an effect.  

I also saw a recent AMA on r/gradadmissions by an authenticated admissions director, and they said that, although Ph.D. admissions are a time-sensitive issue, once it's at the faculty review stage (i.e. your POI), there is most definitely a difference in processing pace because it's up to that professor.  I mean it's one person on Reddit, so take it with a grain of salt, but it helped me feel a little better! :) 

On the other hand, I've heard nothing from NYU Steinhardt or CU Boulder either. Wondering if it's been similar for other people?

On 1/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, mrsflantastic said:

PhD, Curriculum and Instruction. From what I can see, it looks like historically they've asked for interviews mid-January. I'm checking my phone NONSTOP, even though I know this is a weird year. 

I applied to the same program with you! I did not hear anything so far...

On 11/29/2020 at 4:23 PM, Cheeseman said:

Hello, 

I've applied to UBoston, Columbia TC, NYU, CU Boulder, UPitt, Ohio State, CU Denver UBuffalo, and URochester. I hope we get this thread movin' an groovin. 

Best of luck with Purdue!

Hi! I had 2 interviews with UofRochester in the first week of January. I think they should reply by the end of the month or the first week of February! Wishing you luck!

Ope, I see someone posted about an interview invite from NYU Steinhardt. A couple from Irvine, Stanford, and UMich Ann Arbor this past week, too. Meanwhile, I’m sitting here like Bernie at the inauguration staring at my cold and empty inbox haha ??‍♀️

On the flip side, I confirmed with UCLA that the HEOC program doesn’t conduct interviews. They were also nice enough to send out an email to all applicants saying that decisions will be ready by early February. 

Hopefully, we’ll be out of the dark soon, since it’s actually late January now and February soon! We’re almost to the end of waiting, everyone!!

Edited by foxfire123

On 1/21/2021 at 10:51 AM, Toyo said:

I have to stop refreshing my inbox and applyweb pages. I only applied to three places thankfully so at least I know that I can only receive three rejections.

That's one way of looking at it :)

On 1/14/2021 at 11:33 PM, Scholarmama said:

Hi ! I just wanted to pop into this thread to follow if anyone had heard from UCI in regards to interviews, decisions, or status updates. I emailed the school of education last week. In the email, she stated “The admission process takes time and we have rolling admissions.  If the admission committee feels strongly about your candidacy you will be contacted by an admission committee member with in the next month and a half or more or as the decisions are being made.” My status of my application hasn’t changed and still says submitted. Is anyone else in the same waiting situation? I applied to UCI’s PhD in Education (TLEI). 

I applied to the same programme. Was informed of the same as well. I see that some persons have been accepted. It sucks to still be waiting.

On 12/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, art229 said:

Hey y'all! It feels SO good to find other Ed folks :) 

I applied to: Stanford (SHIPS - history of ed), UIUC - (EPOL - history of ed) 

Will be applying to: UW-Seattle (Social/Cultural foundations) 

This is my first time applying to PhD programs so I'm pretty nervous especially because I am only applying to 3 schools, but whatever happens happens haha. Anyone else applying to these places? always happy to connect! 

I applied to Stanford too. 

23 minutes ago, jk25 said:

I applied to the same programme. Was informed of the same as well. I see that some persons have been accepted. It sucks to still be waiting.

Hey! Has your status of your application changed at all? Mine still says submitted. I’ve seen previous forums of people waiting in phases where their application said under review or being reviewed 

31 minutes ago, Scholarmama said:

Hey! Has your status of your application changed at all? Mine still says submitted. I’ve seen previous forums of people waiting in phases where their application said under review or being reviewed 

Really? Mine still just says submitted. I guess that explains why no reply yet. Maybe this is a good thing. I applied TLEI

Edited by jk25

12 hours ago, Scholarmama said:

I’ve seen previous forums of people waiting in phases where their application said under review or being reviewed 

Well, for UCLA, the email that was sent to HEOC applicants explained that they don’t update their status on the application platform — meaning it will stay as “submitted.” When I applied last cycle, I never had status updates either until the decision. What I mean to say is that I think the option may be available to schools, but whether they use it or not depends on the program. 

Personally, I’m just readying myself for the rejections from USC and Irvine. Those two schools specify on their sites that they require interviews, and several people have now posted they received invites. I even saw a couple acceptance results (probably informal) from Irvine. One good thing about doing this for the second time is that I am very used to rejections, I guess ?

1 hour ago, foxfire123 said:

Well, for UCLA, the email that was sent to HEOC applicants explained that they don’t update their status on the application platform — meaning it will stay as “submitted.” When I applied last cycle, I never had status updates either until the decision. What I mean to say is that I think the option may be available to schools, but whether they use it or not depends on the program. 

Personally, I’m just readying myself for the rejections from USC and Irvine. Those two schools specify on their sites that they require interviews, and several people have now posted they received invites. I even saw a couple acceptance results (probably informal) from Irvine. One good thing about doing this for the second time is that I am very used to rejections, I guess ?

Ohhh got it, yes that makes sense. I was clinging on to some last bit of hope. Lol oh well. Thank you for shedding some light on the status update! 

5 hours ago, Scholarmama said:

I was clinging on to some last bit of hope.

No!!! I think you can still have some hope for Irvine because of their “rolling admissions”-type process. Maybe whomever is reading your application hasn’t gotten to yours yet. And like I said, maybe Irvine actually updates their platform with different statuses. 

I’ve just been in this decision limbo stage before, so I’ve decided to opt for the assume-the-worst-and-be-pleasantly-surprised-later approach. 

Stay strong!!! 

Edited by foxfire123

4 minutes ago, foxfire123 said:I’ve just been in this decision limbo stage before, so I’ve decided to opt for the assume-the-worst-and-be-pleasantly-surprised-later approach. 

Stay strong!!! 

5 minutes ago, foxfire123 said:

I’ve just been in this decision limbo stage before, so I’ve decided to opt for the assume-the-worst-and-be-pleasantly-surprised-later approach. 

Stay strong!!! 

Haha no it’s fine! In my mind I was already thinking the same as well.