Applications for September 2021

Paulyo83

Hello everyone!

I am sharing my stats with you guys. If you are alum of HGSE please offer me your thoughts if my stats may or may not help me gain acceptance to HGSE; if you are applicants as I am, let’s all pray for the best. 

Program applied: I applied for the Ed.M in Education Policy & Analysis (EPA) program ( I have heard that this program attracts many students with relatively low educational experiences including myself?)

Domestic/International: International

Undergrad: attended several colleges in the US. Freshman year: top 100 nationally ranked institution GPA: 3.412/4.0; Sophomore year: Top 60 2.839/4.0 (I know it is quite low and it was majorly because of a D that I received); summer session (1 class, 4.0/4.0); last two years at a Top 30 nationally ranked institution, junior year 3.78, senior year 3.5 (last two years combined is 3.65).

Grad: I’m a current master’s candidate at a top 10 nationally ranked university (Ivy League). Fall 2020 was my first semester - I took three courses, and 3.5/4.0 GPA.

Experience: two top-tier consulting internships, one banking internship, one technology internship. 

Education-related Volunteering: two teaching/mentoring experiences to students in high school and elementary school. I’m also on one of the committees of my university’s University Secretary for the year of 2020-2021.

Statement of Purpose: I believe it should be a competitive one as I have let several of my professors and HGSE alums read my sop and they said it was well-written. However, it is Harvard, so I believe there are many people who can write a good sop. I mentioned that I would like to become a policy consultant to address and solve problems in education, including education inequality. I also mentioned that my experiences (international, cross-cultural learning environment) and volunteering experiences have led me to be able to realize the importance of education, and there still are a lot of people waiting for the chance to be in classroom and learn. I also talked about my current master’s experience to address the question “how do you value a graduate program”, and I also stated that the graduate program with my prior internship experiences in consulting would be helpful for me to become a comprehensive consultant in the future.... lastly, I talked about the curriculum (interdisciplinary and sophisticated, four foundational courses), how Harvard at large can benefit me, and my general qualifications (perseverance, learning curiosity, and dedication to the improvement of education. 

Recommendations: none of my recommendations came from professors teach in the field of education nor in professional practices but some of my professional had industry experiences (non-education). They are business school professors all from my undergrad degree-granting institution, and the business school is ranked very top in the nation.

I am still kind of worried that my low gpa in the sophomore year as well as lack in professional experiences in education may be a concern for the admissions committee when they are reviewing my application. Would you guys mind giving your thoughts on my stats?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Hello everyone!

I am sharing my stats with you guys. If you are alum of HGSE please offer me your thoughts if my stats may or may not help me gain acceptance to HGSE; if you are applicants as I am, let’s all pray for the best. 

Program applied: I applied for the Ed.M in Education Policy & Analysis (EPA) program ( I have heard that this program attracts many students with relatively low educational experiences including myself?)

Domestic/International: International

Undergrad: attended several colleges in the US. Freshman year: top 100 nationally ranked institution GPA: 3.412/4.0; Sophomore year: Top 60 2.839/4.0 (I know it is quite low and it was majorly because of a D that I received); summer session (1 class, 4.0/4.0); last two years at a Top 30 nationally ranked institution, junior year 3.78, senior year 3.5 (last two years combined is 3.65).

Grad: I’m a current master’s candidate at a top 10 nationally ranked university (Ivy League). Fall 2020 was my first semester - I took three courses, and 3.5/4.0 GPA.

Experience: two top-tier consulting internships, one banking internship, one technology internship. 

Education-related Volunteering: two teaching/mentoring experiences to students in high school and elementary school. I’m also on one of the committees of my university’s University Secretary for the year of 2020-2021.

Statement of Purpose: I believe it should be a competitive one as I have let several of my professors and HGSE alums read my sop and they said it was well-written. However, it is Harvard, so I believe there are many people who can write a good sop. I mentioned that I would like to become a policy consultant to address and solve problems in education, including education inequality. I also mentioned that my experiences (international, cross-cultural learning environment) and volunteering experiences have led me to be able to realize the importance of education, and there still are a lot of people waiting for the chance to be in classroom and learn. I also talked about my current master’s experience to address the question “how do you value a graduate program”, and I also stated that the graduate program with my prior internship experiences in consulting would be helpful for me to become a comprehensive consultant in the future.... lastly, I talked about the curriculum (interdisciplinary and sophisticated, four foundational courses), how Harvard at large can benefit me, and my general qualifications (perseverance, learning curiosity, and dedication to the improvement of education. 

Recommendations: none of my recommendations came from professors teach in the field of education nor in professional practices but some of my professional had industry experiences (non-education). They are business school professors all from my undergrad degree-granting institution, and the business school is ranked very top in the nation.

I am still kind of worried that my low gpa in the sophomore year as well as lack in professional experiences in education may be a concern for the admissions committee when they are reviewing my application. Would you guys mind giving your thoughts on my stats?

Thanks!

HGSE alum here. Sounds like you have a lot of experience in the field which is something HGSE really values. I wouldn't worry too much about the low sophomore GPA. Sounds like you tied together how your interests are connected to what you want to do in the future + how HGSE specifically can help you achieve those goals. I'm wishing you the best of luck in the application process! 

9 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

@mkkenny13hello! Thank you so much for your response. Just an additional question that which application component would you think HGSE values the most although I understand that the admission process is a holistic one?

Thank you!

I'm not an admissions officer so with no certainty I would say your potential for academic success combined with your "fit" within HGSE based on previous experiences, future aspirations, and what HGSE has to offer. 

So I've been just trying to organize the information that's been posted on the Results page in the recent weeks as we ready our minds for the flurry of notifications that are to come. It's too difficult to break everything down by program, so I just created a list based on my personal interests or what I was seeing most often. If you find this helpful, please feel free to add on with any other information you may know + your program of choice! Corrections are also welcome :)

Current status as of 1/26: 

• CU Boulder (Ph.D. in LSHD) - Recent result indicates that POI has sent invite for panel interview and Finalists Weekend (Guessing this means interviews are required) 
  • NYU Steinhardt (Ph.D. in Too many tracks) - According to website, interview requirements seem to differ by program / A couple of interview invites on the results page, and final results seem to come around late February ~ early March
  • Ohio State (Ph.D. in FSML) - Acceptances seem to have gone out; don't know if it's sent in rounds  
  • Stanford GSE (Ph.D. in Too many tracks) - Website indicates there is no formal interview process and that they may be conducted on a faculty-by-faculty basis / A couple of people have posted about interviews, and results page consistently shows Stanford releasing most decisions by mid-February (around Valentine's Day)
  • UC Irvine (Ph.D in Education) - Website indicates interviews are required / Results page indicates interview invites have been sent out and a few informal acceptances have been made
  • UC Los Angeles (Ph.D. in HEOC) - Email from staff that HEOC does not conduct interviews and that results will be available by early February 
  • UC San Diego (Ph.D in Education) - Interviews are required / Email has been sent out to shortlisted candidates that program hopes to finish interviews by 2/2 
  • UMich, Ann Arbor (Ph.D. in Higher Education) - Interviews are required / Email has been sent out to shortlisted candidates
  • U of Minnesota (Ph.D in Second Language Education) - Rejections seem to have been sent out 
  • U of Minnesota (Ph.D in CIDE) - Acceptances seem to have been sent out; don't know if it's sent in rounds   
  • USC Rossier (Ph.D in Urban Education Policy) - Website indicates interviews are required for semi-finalists and continue throughout January / Results page shows a few interview invites; website timeline says decisions will be out by early February
  • Vanderbilt Peabody (Ph.D. in Special Education) - Rejections seem to have gone out 

3 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

So I've been just trying to organize the information that's been posted on the Results page in the recent weeks as we ready our minds for the flurry of notifications that are to come. It's too difficult to break everything down by program, so I just created a list based on my personal interests or what I was seeing most often. If you find this helpful, please feel free to add on with any other information you may know + your program of choice! Corrections are also welcome :)

Current status as of 1/26: 

• CU Boulder (Ph.D. in LSHD) - Recent result indicates that POI has sent invite for panel interview and Finalists Weekend (Guessing this means interviews are required) 
  • NYU Steinhardt (Ph.D. in Too many tracks) - According to website, interview requirements seem to differ by program / A couple of interview invites on the results page, and final results seem to come around late February ~ early March
  • Ohio State (Ph.D. in FSML) - Acceptances seem to have gone out; don't know if it's sent in rounds  
  • Stanford GSE (Ph.D. in Too many tracks) - Website indicates there is no formal interview process and that they may be conducted on a faculty-by-faculty basis / A couple of people have posted about interviews, and results page consistently shows Stanford releasing most decisions by mid-February (around Valentine's Day)
  • UC Irvine (Ph.D in Education) - Website indicates interviews are required / Results page indicates interview invites have been sent out and a few informal acceptances have been made
  • UC Los Angeles (Ph.D. in HEOC) - Email from staff that HEOC does not conduct interviews and that results will be available by early February 
  • UC San Diego (Ph.D in Education) - Interviews are required / Email has been sent out to shortlisted candidates that program hopes to finish interviews by 2/2 
  • UMich, Ann Arbor (Ph.D. in Higher Education) - Interviews are required / Email has been sent out to shortlisted candidates
  • U of Minnesota (Ph.D in Second Language Education) - Rejections seem to have been sent out 
  • U of Minnesota (Ph.D in CIDE) - Acceptances seem to have been sent out; don't know if it's sent in rounds   
  • USC Rossier (Ph.D in Urban Education Policy) - Website indicates interviews are required for semi-finalists and continue throughout January / Results page shows a few interview invites; website timeline says decisions will be out by early February
  • Vanderbilt Peabody (Ph.D. in Special Education) - Rejections seem to have gone out 

Irvine was one of my top choices. I don't feel good about not having heard anything from them...

I saw this forum and just wanted to pop in and say hello to my fellow grad school applicants for Education! Hope you're all doing well and staying as stress-free as possible. Sending out lots of hugs and fingers crossed for everyone to get into their dream programs! We should be hearing back pretty soon now! : )

@mkkenny13Got it thank you! Btw, just curious that do you believe that the Ed.M programs at HGSE really have an average acceptance rate of 50%+? It seems pretty odd to me, but a lot of people including several HGSE alums that I know, people online, as well as Peterson mentioned that HGSE Ed.M has an average acceptance rate of 50%+. However, even if it is true, I understand it is going to be varied depending on different specific programs. Thanks for your clarification!

47 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

@mkkenny13Got it thank you! Btw, just curious that do you believe that the Ed.M programs at HGSE really have an average acceptance rate of 50%+? It seems pretty odd to me, but a lot of people including several HGSE alums that I know, people online, as well as Peterson mentioned that HGSE Ed.M has an average acceptance rate of 50%+. However, even if it is true, I understand it is going to be varied depending on different specific programs. Thanks for your clarification!

I think it could very well be true. 

5 hours ago, jk25 said:

Irvine was one of my top choices. I don't feel good about not having heard anything from them...

Same here. They do have a “final” deadline in February, so maybe there is still a chance! If not, I am sure you will hear good news from your other choices :) 

I’ve already had a cycle where I didn’t get in anywhere, and last year, I struggled with not taking the rejections personally and the lack of feedback (as in, not knowing where I “went wrong”). But this year, I’m trying to be more objective. I put a lot of work into my application, so maybe they just saw something that let them think I would thrive elsewhere. There is a lot that we don’t know, like how COVID has affected their funding situation, which faculty are planning to accept students, and how the faculty’s research interests have changed since writing their bio.

This is all to say, I hope you are not down for long! Like I said, we’ll hear back from somewhere (maybe even Irvine!). I really believe we’ll end up where we’re supposed to. 

Edited by foxfire123

2 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

Same here. They do have a “final” deadline in February, so maybe there is still a chance! If not, I am sure you will hear good news from your other choices :) 

I’ve already had a cycle where I didn’t get in anywhere, and last year, I struggled with not taking the rejections personally and the lack of feedback (as in, not knowing where I “went wrong”). But this year, I’m trying to be more objective. I put a lot of work into my application, so maybe they just saw something that let them think I would thrive elsewhere. There is a lot that we don’t know, like how COVID has affected their funding situation, which faculty are planning to accept students, and how the faculty’s research interests have changed since writing their bio.

This is all to say, I hope you are not down for long! Like I said, we’ll hear back from somewhere (maybe even Irvine!). I really believe we’ll end up where we’re supposed to. 

I guess you know that intellectually, but emotionally it does take its toll. I even followed up with the POI I spoke with initially, and now absolutely no answer. It really doesn't look good. I was generally hopeful when I sent in my applications, but one possibly negative result does indeed affect the momentum you had going in.

Also, I have read about very qualified people not getting in during a cycle for all the reasons you stated. A negative response really doesn't necessarily say anything about the individual, as you say. I'm hopeful for you too and I'm sure this year your applications were even much better. 

Good luck, and do keep me posted on where you get in!

Just now, gnina said:

Hello, how do you deal with the "post interview anxiety"? Of 8 PhD apps, all with deadlines in early December, I only have heard from one so far (where I had an interview the last week). Do you recommend to reach out the POI after the interview? I did send the "thank you" email the same day. 

You have nothing to lose by reaching out.

15 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

I see another person form Irvine TLEI was accepted. Hope it was you :)

33 minutes ago, gnina said:

But, there is a kind of "recommended time" for this? I don't want to sound pushy ?

It depends on how long ago the interview was; if it was just last week I would wait, if weeks ago I would definitely check in. 

In my opinion, you could just reiterate your enthusiasm about the program and politely enquire about when you should expect to get feedback. I did that, and one was kind enough to let me know that they are now reviewing. The other whom I thought I had a great interview with said nothing at all (not a good sign).

The way I see it, you have nothing to lose if you check in politely without adding any pressure.

Edited by jk25

23 minutes ago, musicalminded said:

Anyone have any updates regarding applying for a PhD in Education from Peabody at Vanderbilt? I applied for the K-12 Policy program. I just checked my application, and it still just says submitted.

Waiting on Vandy K-12 policy too. It looks like they did special ed phd rejections earlier this week but that might be a smaller dept? 

3 hours ago, jk25 said:

It depends on how long ago the interview was; if it was just last week I would wait, if weeks ago I would definitely check in. 

In my opinion, you could just reiterate your enthusiasm about the program and politely enquire about when you should expect to get feedback. I did that, and one was kind enough to let me know that they are now reviewing. The other whom I thought I had a great interview with said nothing at all (not a good sign).

The way I see it, you have nothing to lose if you check in politely without adding any pressure.

Thanks! You are right! I will wait one week to write them. 

10 hours ago, gnina said:

Thanks! You are right! I will wait one week to write them. 

I wrote them, too! I wrote back within 48 hours to just officially thank them for their time. I thought it would be more timely this way, but I get your worries about coming across “pushy.” I guess I did it early because it was a thank you note and not anything to do with my enthusiasm for the program. 

13 hours ago, jk25 said:

I see another person form Irvine TLEI was accepted. Hope it was you :)

You’re so nice! It was not me, haha. I actually didn’t even get an interview from Irvine (or any replies back from my PI back in November). Thanks for thinking of me, though :) 

Ope, I guess CU Boulder has sent out their rejections because I definitely received one haha. On with the next results!

(I'm making it a point to share this here at the risk of it being TMI because I think it's super important to normalize failure. Ph.D. applications are really challenging, even during non-pandemic years. GradCafe has been a very helpful place to me, but I do think it tends to welcome posts from stellar candidates with multiple success stories, which, if you are like me, can make you feel extra anxious and intimidated.) 

On 1/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, lacroixluvr69 said:

Waiting on Vandy K-12 policy too. It looks like they did special ed phd rejections earlier this week but that might be a smaller dept? 

@lacroixluvr69I got an email tonight telling me to check the portal for an admissions update, and I received a rejection letter. Bummed, but now I am going to focus first on studying to bring up my GRE scores. I submitted mine, but maybe I shouldn't have. It's already done, so I'm just going to focus on what I need to be successful for next round. Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, musicalminded said:

@lacroixluvr69I got an email tonight telling me to check the portal for an admissions update, and I received a rejection letter. Bummed, but now I am going to focus first on studying to bring up my GRE scores. I submitted mine, but maybe I shouldn't have. It's already done, so I'm just going to focus on what I need to be successful for next round. Best of luck to you!

Got my rejection too ? 7 more to go!