Applications for September 2021

Paulyo83

Welp, I see enough UCI acceptances and USC interview requests to assume I'm out of the running there. UCLA is my last hope but I am not feeling very confident considering I had zero interest from the other programs. Their website says the department accepts 100 PhD students per year though so maybe there's still a chance... Hope y'all are maintaining your cool. 

2 hours ago, optimisticSW said:

Welp, I see enough UCI acceptances and USC interview requests to assume I'm out of the running there. UCLA is my last hope but I am not feeling very confident considering I had zero interest from the other programs. Their website says the department accepts 100 PhD students per year though so maybe there's still a chance... Hope y'all are maintaining your cool. 

USC has been my dream program since 2017 and this was the first round I had the courage to apply. i'm trying to keep hope, even though Im right there with you :(.  There was someone who got accepted in 2019 and didn't get an interview. So I keep telling myself to have a little hope left. Maybe USC thought we were too perfect to interview.. *wishful thinking* 

On 1/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, IrishGoodbye said:

Anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt Peabody in Special Education yet? I heard mid-January, but now it's the 22nd and I'm starting to panic a little.

Also waiting on Johns Hopkins and Oregon, but I think it will be a bit before those come through.

I heard from Hopkins special educations masters and got in but still waiting on Vanderbilt very impatiently

Have you heard anything yet? i applied for the high incidence program at Vanderbilt.

25 minutes ago, missteacherM said:

I heard from Hopkins special educations masters and got in but still waiting on Vanderbilt very impatiently

Have you heard anything yet? i applied for the high incidence program at Vanderbilt.

Ah, I'm applying to PhD programs, so they are probably on different timelines! I haven't heard yet though!

On 1/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, foxfire123 said:

Ope, I see someone posted about an interview invite from NYU Steinhardt. A couple from Irvine, Stanford, and UMich Ann Arbor this past week, too. Meanwhile, I’m sitting here like Bernie at the inauguration staring at my cold and empty inbox haha ??‍♀️

On the flip side, I confirmed with UCLA that the HEOC program doesn’t conduct interviews. They were also nice enough to send out an email to all applicants saying that decisions will be ready by early February. 

Hopefully, we’ll be out of the dark soon, since it’s actually late January now and February soon! We’re almost to the end of waiting, everyone!!

Did you have contact with a POI at UCLA prior to application? Wondering how responsive faculty there have been to potential students? I am SO nervous to hear from them. This is my first time applying. Judging by prior years, the first week of Feb seems to be results week

On 1/29/2021 at 5:26 PM, optimisticSW said:

UCLA doesn't do interviews for HEOC so I guess I will be getting my rejection with no warning. I can't believe I thought USC was reachable for me? 

2 hours ago, lacroixluvr69 said:

UCLA doesn't do interviews for HEOC so I guess I will be getting my rejection with no warning. I can't believe I thought USC was reachable for me? 

Hi, I have read that some "trolls" are posting false information in the results page, so maybe, we can still have hope! (if we have not received a rejection, of course)

On 1/31/2021 at 11:52 AM, lacroixluvr69 said:

This is so odd to me. If I was going to mentor someone for 4-6 years I'd sure as hell want to know a little bit about them, and also vice versa. UCLA is my last hope, as well as the off chance to USC chose not to interview me for whatever reason, but realistically I'm just assuming I'm out. 

On 2/1/2021 at 2:38 AM, journalismeducator said:

Did you have contact with a POI at UCLA prior to application?

Yes! But only very briefly before application because I made the final decision to reapply after election results (I'm an international student, so it mattered haha). He actually replied within a matter of days and asked me to send him a reminder in late January, which I did. I also emailed a very nice staff member a few times for questions regarding my TOEFL waiver. If you applied to HEOC, you should have received an email from her confirming that the decisions will be released by early February.

And speaking of UCLA, to anyone who was curious, they have one of the most transparent and open search systems for admission data. https://grad.ucla.edu/graduate-program-statistics/admissions/?t=Annualsnapshot&p=Education

If you go here, you can look up the admissions data for whichever cycle (up to Fall 2019) and for whichever program with pretty tailored specifications. 

For example: 

1938154824_ScreenShot2021-02-02at11_09_32AM.thumb.png.83674cb3ed9dcf1a04a6e0cdfa256446.png

Or don't look it up, if these kind of numbers don't actually help you feel better. I like having any kind of information, personally, so it helped. 

23 minutes ago, jk25 said:

Am I the only person annoyed at Irvine Education? I feel like if you gonna reject persons, then do it quickly....

This is very standard in higher ed. I applied a few cycles ago and some schools *never* sent a rejection.

It's like a job application. You don't always hear back if you weren't chosen.

Hello! Does anyone have any updates on the Berkeley PhD? 
i saw one post about someone being invited to interview. The SOE website says “Some degree and credential programs require interviews of top-ranked applicants.” Should I assume this is bad news? Does anyone know if they only admit folks they interview? 
Thanks everyone!! 

On 2/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, foxfire123 said:

Yes! But only very briefly before application because I made the final decision to reapply after election results (I'm an international student, so it mattered haha). He actually replied within a matter of days and asked me to send him a reminder in late January, which I did. I also emailed a very nice staff member a few times for questions regarding my TOEFL waiver. If you applied to HEOC, you should have received an email from her confirming that the decisions will be released by early February.

And speaking of UCLA, to anyone who was curious, they have one of the most transparent and open search systems for admission data. https://grad.ucla.edu/graduate-program-statistics/admissions/?t=Annualsnapshot&p=Education

If you go here, you can look up the admissions data for whichever cycle (up to Fall 2019) and for whichever program with pretty tailored specifications. 

For example: 

1938154824_ScreenShot2021-02-02at11_09_32AM.thumb.png.83674cb3ed9dcf1a04a6e0cdfa256446.png

Or don't look it up, if these kind of numbers don't actually help you feel better. I like having any kind of information, personally, so it helped. 

You are awesome for this! Thank you! I guess early February doesn't mean the first week ?? Good luck everyone!

On 2/4/2021 at 4:40 AM, Waitingwaitingwaiting... said:

Hello! Does anyone have any updates on the Berkeley PhD? 
i saw one post about someone being invited to interview. The SOE website says “Some degree and credential programs require interviews of top-ranked applicants.” Should I assume this is bad news? Does anyone know if they only admit folks they interview? 
Thanks everyone!! 

Looking at previously posted results, it seems like the past couple years have been pretty consistent; some interviews in January, acceptances in early February, and rejections by mid-March. There are more acceptances posted than interviews, for what that's worth (probably not much, considering not every acceptance/rejection is logged here, of course.) If the website states 'degree and credential programs' that's probably in reference to master's level programs as well (based on the credential part), which they might be less inclined to interview for. I don't mean to be discouraging though, it's never over until it's officially over. :) Good luck!

On 2/9/2021 at 8:24 AM, Taro_Taro said:

Has anyone applied to social research methodology phd from UCLA? Earlier the admissions office said the result will come out mid to late February, but I haven't any received info since then. 

Nope, but applied to UCLA's Ph.D. in HEOC and got denied two days ago. I didn't get an e-mail until late in the day, but I had checked my portal around 1 PM PST and saw I had an official decision. And it was a rejection. I'd say if you haven't heard by the end of next week to e-mail them. Good luck!

I saw this thread pop up and I was wondering, for the people not doing higher ed, are y'all teachers? 

If not, why are you getting grad degrees in education? What do you do with an education grad degree if you're not teaching? 

Sorry, but it was bugging me!

3 hours ago, IndominaRegina said:

I saw this thread pop up and I was wondering, for the people not doing higher ed, are y'all teachers? 

If not, why are you getting grad degrees in education? What do you do with an education grad degree if you're not teaching? 

Assuming you're asking in good faith rather than just trying to aggravate people, I'll bite, assuming you just don't know anything about education.

There are plenty of professional and academic positions in the field to education, most of which require masters/doctoral level education and training. If you simply look at what the degrees are, that would give you a clue, but just off the top of my head, here are a few examples of common areas of study: educational psychology, ed policy, K-12 administration, ed tech, special ed, any curriculum/instruction area focus, language/bilingual ed, etc. Like any other field based in social research, you need the training and practice in your field to learn to conduct your own research and apply it to your area of interest.

I can speak mostly about policy myself; there are a huge range of professional possibilities in that field alone; local/state/federal/international government positions, NGOs, organizations/initiatives focused on specific issues, political lobbying, academic positions (maybe that's what you meant by 'doing higher ed'), and within those there are possibilities to focus on research related to anything from school funding to student outcomes to teacher training to curriculum development/implementation to standardized testing, etc.

The field of education consists of a lot more than teaching or 'doing higher ed'. If you're legitimately interested in finding out more about it, some basic research of degree programs from almost any large university would give you an idea about what kinds of degrees are out there and what people do with them. Not really trying to get personal about it, but it seems odd that somebody who it looks like once pursued a graduate humanities degree in classics would question the usefulness of a graduate degree in education... Anyway, good luck to you if you're actually interested in learning about this. There is plenty of information available online if you just look.

Edited by kudrinskaya

13 hours ago, IndominaRegina said:

@kudrinskayasummed it up well!

I am not a teacher (although I have been a tutor and English teacher in the past) and I am going for International Education-- specifically intercultural exchange and curriculum globalization. I have several years experience with youth exchange students (not higher ed study abroad) and hope to shed some light on such a large body of students. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio ;)