Applications for September 2021

Paulyo83

Got my USC and UCLA rejections, my UCI app just says "submitted". After seeing the acceptances I'm assuming I'll just never get a formal rejection but damn, can't they? I just want to close this chapter of applications. 

NVM just got the official rejection. 

Edited by optimisticSW

On 2/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, exitiumax said:

This is very standard in higher ed. I applied a few cycles ago and some schools *never* sent a rejection.

It's like a job application. You don't always hear back if you weren't chosen.

I think University of Michigan did that to me last year. I checked the portal, and one day, it said, "A decision has been made." Then it wouldn't tell me what decision was made for a long time. I eventually figured it out myself.

16 hours ago, dancewmoonlight said:

My top school has moved my application from "Under Review in Department" to "Under Review in Graduate Studies," and I'm dying.

I don't want to give false hope, but that is probably a good sign. A typical review process - and I want to stress that not every university works the same, so it might not mean the same thing in this case - is that the department (the actual professors you'd be working with) review applications and give their approval or not. Applicants they deem acceptable may then be forwarded to the general graduate school admission team, and they verify your application meets university requirements/everything is legit about your application.

Again, it may not work the same everywhere, but I know the process I described is at least how some places work. If that's the case for you, the department likely is interested and the graduate admissions dept is just doing their part to approve your application. A tentative congratulations to you if that is the case. I would personally be happy to see that if it were my own application, so I don't think you're wrong to feel a little optimistic at this point. But again - nothing is done until it's done. :)

5 hours ago, kudrinskaya said:

I don't want to give false hope, but that is probably a good sign. ... I would personally be happy to see that if it were my own application, so I don't think you're wrong to feel a little optimistic at this point. But again - nothing is done until it's done. :)

Oh, I'm cautiously optimistic. I squealed and ran to my spouse when I saw the change. However, I'm not making any plans or telling anyone until I get that official notice.

6 hours ago, kudrinskaya said:

I don't want to give false hope, but that is probably a good sign. A typical review process - and I want to stress that not every university works the same, so it might not mean the same thing in this case - is that the department (the actual professors you'd be working with) review applications and give their approval or not. Applicants they deem acceptable may then be forwarded to the general graduate school admission team, and they verify your application meets university requirements/everything is legit about your application.

Again, it may not work the same everywhere, but I know the process I described is at least how some places work. If that's the case for you, the department likely is interested and the graduate admissions dept is just doing their part to approve your application. A tentative congratulations to you if that is the case. I would personally be happy to see that if it were my own application, so I don't think you're wrong to feel a little optimistic at this point. But again - nothing is done until it's done. :)

I hope you're right about this! The Associate Dean of Admissions at my top program reached out to me for my community college transcript to verify some credits...hoping that's a sign that I at least made it through the first review. Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, hmj598 said:

I hope you're right about this! The Associate Dean of Admissions at my top program reached out to me for my community college transcript to verify some credits...hoping that's a sign that I at least made it through the first review. Fingers crossed!

Again, nothing is certain until you get that letter, but I'd be shocked if any university spent time verifying transcripts and credits of people they know they're going to reject... Yes, it could be done for a pool of 'final applicants', but if you've made it that far, that's a good sign. ?

On 2/26/2021 at 8:31 AM, optimisticSW said:

NVM just got the official rejection. 

:( I'm sorry to hear that. You've been here since the beginning of this thread, and I was hoping that we'd all receive good news. I'm sure you'll have better results next cycle, if you decide to apply again. 

I checked my UCI portal after I read your post since I did not receive an interview either, but no news... There was another rejection posted on the results page from this week, but still nothing. Maybe they just totally forgot about my application, haha. 

15 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

I checked my UCI portal after I read your post since I did not receive an interview either, but no news... There was another rejection posted on the results page from this week, but still nothing. 

I still haven’t heard anything either, no update, no email. 

4 hours ago, dancewmoonlight said:

I got into the University of Manitoba!!!!

It may not be highly ranked but goodness, I love my advisor and the research they're doing into student well-being.

Fit over rank, always!!! Congratulations! 

On 3/5/2021 at 2:50 AM, Scholarmama said:

I still haven’t heard anything either, no update, no email. 

I just got mine! No luck at Irvine, as expected, and totally fine with the result. Glad to be done with this year's cycle!!! I hope you hear soon too :)

Hello everyone! I applied to the PhD in Education at The University of Toronto (OISE) back in November and haven't heard back (no interview). Does anyone know what's going on? Is anyone else in the same boat?

Edited by captcha

1 hour ago, foxfire123 said:

I just got mine! No luck at Irvine, as expected, and totally fine with the result. Glad to be done with this year's cycle!!! I hope you hear soon too :)

I am assuming the same for myself , would just like to close this chapter already.  They could’ve made this a lot sooner , still nothing. 

57 minutes ago, Scholarmama said:

I am assuming the same for myself , would just like to close this chapter already.  They could’ve made this a lot sooner , still nothing. 

Yeeeeeah, I realized quite a few schools do the "rolling rejections" method, and I don't think I'll ever really understand the purpose. I wonder if it's like a game of cards, where they keep their best cards (would that be the waitlist?) until the last possible minute ?

Anyways, best of luck to you! :)

13 hours ago, captcha said:

Hello everyone! I applied to the PhD in Education at The University of Toronto (OISE) back in November and haven't heard back (no interview). Does anyone know what's going on? Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat. No response so far...

On 3/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, SADIAz said:

I'm in the same boat. No response so far...

Wow, for a PhD program? That's a very delayed timeline. I would email the administrative staff there and ask if all the acceptance letters have been sent out. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, aimeglobe said:

Has anyone heard back around funding from NYU?

Yes, I got scholarship info March 5th and the financial aid package the following week. For reference, I was admitted to the International Education MA on March 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Has anyone applied for a PhD or MA position in Educational Studies at McGill? I have been waitlisted since a month ago and still no news!