2021 EEB PhD Admissions Results

behavioral_ecology

Two of my programs are specifically EEB, but in general they are all under that umbrella (the rest are marine science/ecology).  Historically, we have been in pretty low number here on Grad Cafe. I am applying to six programs.  What about you?

Hey all, hope you guys are coping with anxiety okay. Hey if there are pretty low numbers on Grad Cafe, maybe less competition for us right? Anyways, hey, my name is Mike, and I study evolution. I just graduated this semester and finished applying to 6 programs. In order of preference, they were UMN, CUNY, UH, University of Chicago, Columbia, University of Oregon. Over the summer I built a pretty strong relationship with a couple potential PIs, so I'm hoping that and my research experience will be enough even though my gpa is barely over a 3. What about you guys.

Hi guys! I'm glad to see other EEB-types here!

I specialize in behavioral ecology (hence the username ?) and I just graduated this past spring with my M.S. For PhD apps this cycle, I applied to UC Davis, UCLA, Stanford, U of Illinois, U of Minnesota, UT Austin, U of Oklahoma, and Boston University.

I haven't heard anything back from any admissions committees yet. The waiting is so intense.

Hi there! I'm interested in agricultural ecology/ applied insect ecology. I applied to ecology and entomology PhD programs this cycle: Cornell, UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Rutgers, UMD, and UW-Madison. So far, I've been invited to Cornell's recruitment weekend/ interview thing. Haven't heard anything else yet...

Hi EEB folks! I am interested in bird evolution and museum collections. I applied to Harvard OEB, University of Chicago CEB, University of Kansas EEB, CUNY EEB, Fordham, USC & University of Michigan.

I've got an interview at University of Chicago, but that's the only place I've heard back from so far.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Mikedrumm22 said:

What’s up y’all. Still anxiously awaiting to hear about interviews etc. I still haven’t heard from anywhere yet, how about everyone else 

I've heard back from University of Chicago and USC so far.

Thanks! Yeah I think they are a little behind the biomedical programs based on my searches through past app cycles on the results page. I think it also varies by program. I think we should start hearing from more places about interviews soon. I think rejections come out a little later. 

Hey everyone, so I received some baddish news. I received an informal rejection from UO, and was pretty much “waitlisted” by Minnesota. So I guess if you haven’t heard from either of those programs it’s not the best news. Has anyone heard from CUNY or U Hawaii Manoa by chance?

On 12/29/2020 at 1:23 AM, entoemma said:

Hi there! I'm interested in agricultural ecology/ applied insect ecology. I applied to ecology and entomology PhD programs this cycle: Cornell, UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Rutgers, UMD, and UW-Madison. So far, I've been invited to Cornell's recruitment weekend/ interview thing. Haven't heard anything else yet...

By UMD do you University of Maryland?  And if so, the MEES program?

Hi there! I will be graduating with my MS this semester and have applied to 8 Ph.D. programs (EEB/Biology) for fall 2021-- CUNY, Richard Gilder @ AMNH, U of Washington, FSU, UT Arlington, U of New Mex, Marquette, and U of Oklahoma. I have interviewed with one program so far (UT Arlington), but other than that have not heard back from any other programs. Good luck to everyone as we start to receive emails! I know I'm feeling especially anxious.

For those applying to CUNY EEB, are you also applying to the RGGS fellowship, or are your potential PIs at CUNY? 

2 hours ago, BirdEvo said:

Yeah also RGGS fellowship. Although, I heard they are not taking very many students this year (COVID/budget) so I don't have high hopes for that one.

That's what I've heard too. It's unfortunate, but we'll see how things go.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, Crucial BBQ said:

By UMD do you University of Maryland?  And if so, the MEES program?

Nope, I applied to the Entomology program. I was considering BEES and Entomology, and ended up choosing Entomology. U of Maryland is now my last choice, though, and I may rescind my application soon.