McMaster MSc Global Health Fall 2021

hangrypanda

Hey everyone,

This thread was so helpful during the entire process, so I want to address some things that might help those waiting for a response:

GPA: I applied with an L10 GPA of 11.30/12 on the McMaster scale.

BUT, from everyone I've talked to already in the program, I don't think GPA is a driving force behind getting accepted or not. I know someone who got in last year with 10 point something GPA before their 11 point something GPA friend got in.

I ***THINK*** that SOI and reference letters are weighed more heavily than GPA.

What time did my Mosaic update?: I saw my conditional acceptance on Mosaic at around 3:30 PM.

What time did I receive the official email?: Around 4:15 PM

Everything above is just based on my experience, so take it with a grain of salt, but I hope this post helps settle some nerves! :)

Edited by hangrypanda

16 minutes ago, hangrypanda said:

Hey everyone,

This thread was so helpful during the entire process, so I want to address some things that might help those waiting for a response:

GPA: I applied with an L10 GPA of 11.30/12 on the McMaster scale.

BUT, from everyone I've talked to already in the program, I don't think GPA is a driving force behind getting accepted or not. I know someone who got in last year with 10 point something GPA before their 11 point something GPA friend got in.

I ***THINK*** that SOI and reference letters are weighed more heavily than GPA.

What time did my Mosaic update?: I saw my conditional acceptance on Mosaic at around 3:30 PM.

What time did I receive the official email?: Around 4:15 PM

Everything above is just based on my experience, so take it with a grain of salt, but I hope this post helps settle some nerves! :)

Omg thank you so much for this informative post! Really appreciate it! 

When you saw your acceptance on Mosaic at 3:30pm, were you checking your status leading up to that time or did you just check it for the first time then? :o

4 minutes ago, gh2021 said:

Omg thank you so much for this informative post! Really appreciate it! 

When you saw your acceptance on Mosaic at 3:30pm, were you checking your status leading up to that time or did you just check it for the first time then? :o

That was the first time I checked that day! I only decided to peek after someone else on this thread said their Mosaic updated. So you might get a more accurate time for when Mosaic updates if you look for that post :)

Edited by hangrypanda

GPA: 11.20/12 

What time did my Mosaic update?: I saw a conditional acceptance around 3:45 pm today

What time did I receive the official email?: Around 4:30 

I saw the conditional acceptance (blue box thing) on Mosaic and was unsure if I had gotten in. I received the email outlining that I had the acceptance as long as I had completed my undergraduate courses with good standing. I also received a small scholarship. 

I applied to this program last year with a slightly lower average and different referees and did not get in. This year my average was somewhat higher but I think that my new references may have made the difference.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

17 minutes ago, uhniunskies8909 said:

What time did my Mosaic update?: I saw a conditional acceptance around 3:45 pm today

I saw the conditional acceptance (blue box thing) on Mosaic and was unsure if I had gotten in. I received the email outlining that I had the acceptance as long as I had completed my undergraduate courses with good standing. I also received a small scholarship. 

I applied to this program last year with a slightly lower average and different referees and did not get in. This year my average was somewhat higher but I think that my new references may have made the difference.

Congrats on the acceptance!! If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you receive in scholarship?

40 minutes ago, uhniunskies8909 said:

By how much did your GPA go up if you don't mind me asking?

I am also a reapplicant. I got waitlisted last year.

Just now, GAmanda said:

@robby99 May I ask what your stats were last year? 

Last year I applied with a 10.3. My SOI wasn't very good, I rushed it last minute.

I heard that there were a few people who were admitted in the 9s last year. I think my SOI may have been a bigger factor in me being wait listed. I'm not sure where I was ranked on the waitlist (they don't disclose that info). However, I never made it off the list, so I was def not at the top!

This year, my GPA has gone up significantly and I made sure to intentionally discuss all of the key questions in my SOI. 

1 minute ago, robby99 said:

Last year I applied with a 10.3. My SOI wasn't very good, I rushed it last minute.

I heard that there were a few people who were admitted in the 9s last year. I think my SOI may have been a bigger factor in me being wait listed. I'm not sure where I was ranked on the waitlist (they don't disclose that info). However, I never made it off the list, so I was def not at the top!

This year, my GPA has gone up significantly and I made sure to intentionally discuss all of the key questions in my SOI. 

Thanks so much for your response. This is so helpful!

5 minutes ago, robby99 said:

Omg same!! I also applied last year and my average was around a 10.5 too. But I do think my SOI was not that great last year. Worked on it hard this year. 

I was waitlisted and only heard back with a rejection during the first week of September. I was a long long wait if you remember hahah 

Just now, gh2021 said:

Omg same!! I also applied last year and my average was around a 10.5 too. But I do think my SOI was not that great last year. Worked on it hard this year. 

I was waitlisted and only heard back with a rejection during the first week of September. I was a long long wait if you remember hahah 

Yesss such a long wait!! I wish they had disclosed ranks on the wait list, or at least given us some hints.

I never got a rejection email. Maybe they just forgot about me on the list! ? 

2 minutes ago, robby99 said:

Yesss such a long wait!! I wish they had disclosed ranks on the wait list, or at least given us some hints.

I never got a rejection email. Maybe they just forgot about me on the list! ? 

Yeaaah! It was so tiring, which is why this year I really hope I don’t get wait listed again because I really don’t want to go through that whole process again :( 

and what! Really!!!

12 minutes ago, gh2021 said:

Yeaaah! It was so tiring, which is why this year I really hope I don’t get wait listed again because I really don’t want to go through that whole process again :( 

and what! Really!!!

Let's hope for the best next week! :)

I emailed admin again today asking whether they had sent out all the initial offers, and the replied "due to the high volume, offers will be going through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) and this can be stretched over the course of a few days." so I'm sure they will still be sending out more offers early next week!

Edited by robby99

1 minute ago, robby99 said:

Let's hope for the best next week! :)

I emailed admin again today asking whether they had sent out all the initial offers, and the replied "due to the high volume, offers will be going through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) and this can be stretched over the course of a few days." so I'm sure they will still be sending out more offers early next week!

Yess! Fingers crossed! 

and ohhhh perfect! Sounds great, thanks for that update :)