What to wear during the winter season? (snow)

joro

I'm going to graduate school where it snows and I've lived in an area where it doesn't snow for my entire life. What should I wear during the winter/snow seasons? I'm pretty sure normal sunny California winter clothing doesn't cut it. :lol:

What should I wear during the winter/snow seasons? I'm pretty sure normal sunny California winter clothing doesn't cut it. :lol:

Uh... Do you not watch movies in which action takes place in colder climates? In all seriousness, I think you should be able to figure it out slowly. Say, in the Fall, as it starts getting chillier, time to bust out the sweatshirt and jeans, then move on to jeans and jackets... It's not that hard :)

How cold are we talking here?

You'll definitely want a nice coat and boots if there's going to be snow. A lot of people here (Wisconsin) either get a wool coat and wear warm layers under it, or get one of those double-layer ski jackets, like by Columbia or similar. The nice thing about those is that by wearing them with different stuff under (for wool coats) or wearing only the fleece lining, or only the wind-proof outside (for the ski jackets), you'll get a lot of wear out of one coat all through fall-winter-spring.

I have less specific advice about boots, but if there's going to be a lot of snow or mush, you'll want something you can wear outside, since snow (and the salt people use on ice) are killer on other shoes. (Timberland makes really nice ones.) Plus, it means a big difference in comfort if your feet stay warm and dry. Also, if you get boots, most people here buy them a size too big and get boot socks (thick, wool socks for wearing over a pair of regular socks with boots). You can keep a pair of normal shoes at school to change into if you don't like wearing boots all day.

For regular clothing, I like to buy a bunch of thermal long-underwear shirts and wear them under a T-shirt (just like it's still the 90's!) so that I don't have to change my wardrobe too much seasonally. It's also nice to have a bunch of sweaters -- both pull-over for cold days, and zip-up or cardigan ones to wear over a lighter shirt for in-between temperature days. Plaid flannel shirts are nice and warm too, but if you're not in the midwest, it might be hard to wear those and boots and not get made fun of for looking like a lumberjack.

Trousers made from a heavy material are usually warm enough, but you can also get long-underwear (WinterSilks makes ones that are warm, but not bulky) to wear underneath. If you're really cold, you can get flannel-lined jeans and such at places like Eddie Bauer or other outdoor clothing stores. Wearing layers really helps when it's cold and windy out.

You should probably do your clothes shopping once you get to wherever you're going for school. I moved from Wisconsin to California for undergrad, and I noticed they just don't carry winter gear in stores there. Plus, if you shop wherever you live, you can wear basically what other people are wearing, and avoid looking like a lumberjack (unless you're somewhere where everyone else does too...).

For being outside in the cold -- wear boots, warm socks, nice gloves/mittens, a scarf, and a hat. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes in how warm you feel if you have all your extremities covered up.

Wow! I think pangor-ban covered pretty much everything. I would just add a couple of things. For the boots, Columbia has nice ones. I got myself a pair my first winter here and they have lasted all three winters (I've worn them everyday for several weeks in a row). They are so warm that I don't even need special socks for the winter. The normal ones are enough. The boots I got resist up to -25ºF and they didn't get damaged with the salt (they just got a little bit discolored).

I would also recommend getting ear muffs, specially for the days when there are extreme windchill values. I had never used them before coming to Central New York, but I'm glad I got them. When it's very cold it really hurts in the ears. You may also try getting a hat with earflaps, but I still think the ear muffs will be better. Land's end has nice ones.

Wow you guys go all out. I spent 7 years in MA, and now 2 years in Michigan. In all that time, in the winter I would wear sneakers, jeans (the flannel-lined LL Bean jeans can be even better), and then either a really warm LL Bean goose down jacket or a combination of a sweatshirt and a fall jacket (slightly warmer windbreaker pretty much). Maybe I've been lucky enough to be in areas where the snow's actually plowed somewhat consistently, but altogether, I'm comfortable in these clothes (for reference, Michigan gets down to 0 to -10 and sometimes -20 in the winter). Sometimes, I'll wear a scarf or pop the collar. Gloves are sometimes advisable to prevent a severe dryness of the skin and consequent bleeding, but that's only in extreme weather. The only upshot of not wearing them is that you get to scare all your friends because your hands look like they went through a cheese grater.

And I have an aversion to hats... So, my opinion on hats doesn't count.

It snowed this weekend at my undergrad. I'm so glad I'm never living anywhere that far north again.

A big ditto to getting earmuffs. Frostbite on your ears sucks big time. I had the first ear infection since preschool at college before I got them. If your hood isn't tight around your face and it's windy it will not be pleasant.

I used Underarmor during the winter under clothing. The other thing to remember is layering, classrooms can be really really warm and you want to be able to take enough off. Keeping a t shirt as the bottom layer is a good idea. If you get sweaty in class then go outside to walk home you will be extra cold.

With boots, make they are good waterproof boots. Girls were so surprised when their Uggs started smelling like wet dog. I'd also recommend getting 2 pairs so you can alternate and always have one pair dry.

I can totally relate as I grew up in sunny southern CaliZona and then moved to Chicago for 2 years.

I was sooo naive about winter clothes; I honestly did not what was really appropriate to wear and I learned the hard way with a frostbite scare on my way to work wearing nylon tights and heels in the snow!

I came from the land of flip flops everyday, so it was strange adapting to wearing socks... and boots. But I learned the key is to keep your feet, hands, neck and head warm and you'll be good.

The other key is LAYERING! On really cold days I would often layer like this: shirt, light sweater or sweater vest, heavier sweater or hoodie, wool coat, scarf & gloves & a hat that covers ears. I noticed wearing jeans in the winter was not warm enough, so I always wore thermal 'long johns' underneath them.

Leather/ leather-like gloves with cashmere lining worked the best for me- kept my hands toasty, but I was still able to grasp and hold onto things well.

And just to prove what a wimp I was in the cold, I would often carry around little instant heat packs (the kind they sell in camping stores). I would keep them in my pockets and crack them to warm up when I just couldn't take it anymore.

Good luck staying warm! The first year is always the hardest, but it is amazing how well you do adapt!

Thanks! My main concern was the winter shoes/boots. I'll be sure to check out Columbia and Timberland for those. Any brand suggestions on gloves and earmuffs?

I was sooo naive about winter clothes; I honestly did not what was really appropriate to wear and I learned the hard way with a frostbite scare on my way to work wearing nylon tights and heels in the snow!

And just to prove what a wimp I was in the cold, I would often carry around little instant heat packs (the kind they sell in camping stores). I would keep them in my pockets and crack them to warm up when I just couldn't take it anymore.

Wow, heels in the snow? I can't help, but laugh at that image in my head. :P

I think I might also carry those instant heat packs in my pocket. Hopefully I won't need them.

Edited by joro

My new knowledge that I acquired this season is that down jackets and coats are the best, and that they are not made equal: you can check in the inside how much down % they have. 70% is on the good side. I survived a cold cold winter in a fairly cheap Gap coat with 70% down content. Also long underwear is good to have. Otherwise as said before waterproof boots are a must, and I would say that a no-name one is fine too until it is warm and waterproof. I find that it is better to buy the boots on the spot: the places with tough winter are usually well prepared with appropriate garment. My boots that I carried over were eaten away by the salt in just one winter. This winter I got new ones (no name) locally and they are as good as new, even though the snow was probably worse than last year.

Wow you guys go all out. I spent 7 years in MA, and now 2 years in Michigan. In all that time, in the winter I would wear sneakers, jeans (the flannel-lined LL Bean jeans can be even better), and then either a really warm LL Bean goose down jacket or a combination of a sweatshirt and a fall jacket (slightly warmer windbreaker pretty much). Maybe I've been lucky enough to be in areas where the snow's actually plowed somewhat consistently, but altogether, I'm comfortable in these clothes (for reference, Michigan gets down to 0 to -10 and sometimes -20 in the winter). Sometimes, I'll wear a scarf or pop the collar. Gloves are sometimes advisable to prevent a severe dryness of the skin and consequent bleeding, but that's only in extreme weather. The only upshot of not wearing them is that you get to scare all your friends because your hands look like they went through a cheese grater.

And I have an aversion to hats... So, my opinion on hats doesn't count.

Spoken like a true northerner.

I moved from Maine to upstate New York for undergrad. NY seems balmy compared to my childhood. I cope with the cold in a similar way to timuralp, except I wear wool coats instead of down (I'm allergic), and leather boots instead of sneakers (for fashion's sake, and with the right treatment they're relatively waterproof). I really hate wearing winter clothes, so I wear as little as necessary to prevent death when going from point A to point B, and just spend a minimal time going to the library/socializing/doing anything, especially after dark. Lots of video games and books are consumed inside January-March.

Also, I'm getting a car for grad school (still in upstate NY) so I'll have less outside walking to do to go shopping or to the movies in the winter next year. I really hate the cold, but refuse to go back to big LL Beam boots that hurt my ankles and turn walking into an Olympic sport. But if you are going that route, LL Bean is key. Spend the premium to get something super high-tech and built for hunting in Canada or working on a fishing ship..

Oh, another tip: in the northEAST at least winter doesn't really get going until January. It might be below freezing for a few days in December, and maybe there will be a token snowstorm around Christmas, but it will keep getting colder until early-mid January. Then it gets warm in the 3rd week of January; this is NOT spring, it is the evil January Thaw, which tricks you into thinking winter might be shorter than normal. If you're north of New York City, you still have true winter until mid-to-late-March, with a chance of frost and snow until... Well, mid-May, judging by this week's weather antics. rolleyes.gif

at the risk of sounding like i'm trying to beat people in a pissing contest ( ;) )... I transferred undergrad from Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)!

By -35C (about -31 F), the first thing you do is forget about being fashionable or even remotely human-looking! Although people usually try to drive everywhere, if you do have to wander outside in that kind of weather: thermal underwear or some thick woolen tights under your pants are a must. Never go out without a hat. Trust me: your hair will freeze, and then slowly melt down the back of your shirt, while you sit in class. In case of snowstorms, I remember the radios and various authority-sources recommending balaclavas. Which is funny because you occasionally get a university campus full of students looking like bank-robbers!

Then again, other than the state of Alaska, I don't think there are any places in the states where it gets quite as cold, so you guys should be fine. :)

Thanks! My main concern was the winter shoes/boots. I'll be sure to check out Columbia and Timberland for those. Any brand suggestions on gloves and earmuffs?

Columbia's a really good place to start for the gloves and earmuffs. (Well, I think they have earmuffs -- I can't stand the things, so I don't have any.) Any outdoor gear store would be good, really. REI, The North Face, etc. The gloves that'll keep you warmest are something with a soft fleecy inner layer and some sort of outer shell layer.

But with all the people who are saying it's all unnecessary and you can get by with wearing your normal clothes every day... I think cold affects people very differently (probably depending on metabolism?) so you might not need everything people mention, or you might need more. But if you're not used to winter, or if you plan on spending more time outside than it takes to run from one building to another, I'd suggest covering up. Frostbite sucks; dry, chapped skin sucks.

What I would say has mostly been covered. Just a few more notes from someone who got transplanted to a considerably colder climate:

When looking for thermal underwear, don't buy cotton--get a good synthetic blend or else (from what others tell me) silk. Cotton does not keep you warm at all if the weather is wet.

Also, be sure you have good wool-blend socks. I lose a lot of heat through my feet for some reason, so this is key for me. Most of my socks are wool-blend heavy-weight hikers (some Thorlo, some generic knock-offs). If the snow is deep, i.e. over the top of my boots, my socks get wet as I walk to school; thus, I like to keep an extra pair around.

Like some of the above posters, I hate hats. Most of the time I make do with the hood on my jacket, which fits loosely and doesn't bother me so much. However, at temperatures under 20 F, I find a hat to be an absolute necessity. Mine is a fleece hat that also covers my ears; I think earmuffs would drive me batty.

Mittens/gloves are also very nice. At first I tried to keep my hands in my pockets, but that doesn't work if you need your hands our for schlepping groceries, etc. My mom swears by lined leather gloves, but I can't afford those, so I just wear cheap knit gloves. Unfortunately these will get wet quickly, so, like socks, it's nice to keep a spare pair somewhere.

for keeping feet dry in the snow, try newspaper bags. we used to put on socks, then slide one of those long, skinny plastic newspaper bags on each foot, and then put boots on. when you tuck the top of the bag into the bottom of your pant legs, it keeps the snow out and your feet stay warm and dry.

Speaking of snow/frost melting off the hair, one time I went running in a blizzard without a hat and it was actually awesome because at first I got the snow on my head, then it froze, but as I kept running it melted. I kept thinking of the crazy stuff Syd Barrett would do on stage, with his face looking like it's melting and stuff. Um, do not try that at home :)

About the ear protection (I realized I definitely neglected this), one thing I found awesome is a headband. Any running store around here carries cold weather running gear, which includes warm, but light gloves and headbands. If my ears feel like they're about to fall off, that's my go-to solution. It does look kinda funny though, so prepare for some heckling :)

Another random piece of advice, don't break out the winter coat too soon. I remember in college seeing all the freshman from California put on their down coats when the weather got below 40. That is a big mistake, keep the warm clothes for when it gets below 10! I eventually got a huge variety of winter clothes ranging from stretchy gloves and thin wool coats for late fall to the furry wool gloves and down coats in February. It is nice to look at the below zero weather report and know you can still go one level warmer.

I highly recommend 180s for earmuffs ( http://www.180s.com/ ) . I hate hats (mostly being a girl because they screw up my hair) but these earmuffs go behind your head and not only don't screw up my hair, but they are much more comfortable too. And I can even hear my people on my cell phone through them, which is a plus!You can find that at any department store, or even BJ's or the like in the north during the winter months. You can probably get them at EMS or Dick's as well.

I also like the types of convertible gloves/mittens that have the flap that you can fold back and have your fingers free...not sure what they are called, some people call them hobo gloves lol but they are also great for doing things like dialing the phone or opening the door with gloves. Here is a pic http://www.amazon.com/GO-Gloves-Convertible-Mittens-Mens/dp/B000BPUHIO

Oh an scarves are great too, especially for the wind. Can use it to cover your face when it's really biting cold!

The only upshot of not wearing them is that you get to scare all your friends because your hands look like they went through a cheese grater.

LOL agreed.

Just buy clothes as you go along with the season. I definitely second Columbia's two-layer jackets. I've had mine for about 10 years now! It's holding up pretty well but I'm convinced that last winter was its last winter... just because... I want a new jacket :) Then when you have the money again, you can get a down coat.

And please, don't break out all the super-warm clothes in October/November. Northerners will seriously laugh. We love those California kids who scream and run around when they see their first snowflakes and then grab a camera and take pictures. Seriously, unless the snowflakes are seriously fat, you can't really see them in pictures.

I've always picked out my winter stuff for comfort, not fashion, and I'm really glad that I did it. Especially when my more fashionable friends get a little...cranky that their clothes got all wet and they're all wet and cold...

You will survive!

I highly recommend 180s for earmuffs ( http://www.180s.com/ ) . I hate hats (mostly being a girl because they screw up my hair) but these earmuffs go behind your head and not only don't screw up my hair, but they are much more comfortable too. And I can even hear my people on my cell phone through them, which is a plus!You can find that at any department store, or even BJ's or the like in the north during the winter months. You can probably get them at EMS or Dick's as well.

I also like the types of convertible gloves/mittens that have the flap that you can fold back and have your fingers free...not sure what they are called, some people call them hobo gloves lol but they are also great for doing things like dialing the phone or opening the door with gloves. Here is a pic http://www.amazon.com/GO-Gloves-Convertible-Mittens-Mens/dp/B000BPUHIO

Oh an scarves are great too, especially for the wind. Can use it to cover your face when it's really biting cold!

I like those hobo gloves! :lol: I wasn't sure what to call them either. I do like to fix my hair so I think the 180s earmuffs would be great, but I'm thinking I may end up just wearing a hat in the end because of the cold.

I don't plan on buying clothes right now, but I thought it would be good to find out what I should be wearing during the winter. Something specific I didn't really know about were the winter boots to keep my feet warm and dry. I would have walked right into the snow with my Onitsuka Tigers and end up freezing my feet off in class. I like fashion, but it has to be functional and comfortable fashion. :)

Edited by joro

This thread is making me cold just thinking about it. I moved from Chicago to San Diego over 10 years ago and subsequently lost most of my real winter clothes. I've since relocated to a portion of the state that does have subfreezing winter temps and (rare) snowfalls but it hasn't changed the fact I've become a kinda wuss when it comes to cold. Aside from the novelty of a real snowfall, I'm not overly looking forward to real winters again.

Completely opposite, I dislike the combination of heat and humidity as well. Yuck.

(Yes, I'm a weather wuss).

I like those hobo gloves! :lol: I wasn't sure what to call them either. I do like to fix my hair so I think the 180s earmuffs would be great, but I'm thinking I may end up just wearing a hat in the end because of the cold.

I don't plan on buying clothes right now, but I thought it would be good to find out what I should be wearing during the winter. Something specific I didn't really know about were the winter boots to keep my feet warm and dry. I would have walked right into the snow with my Onitsuka Tigers and end up freezing my feet off in class. I like fashion, but it has to be functional and comfortable fashion. :)

Yeah, it does get a bit hard to stay fashionable, depending on how cold it is. I have nice wool pea coats that I love, but they aren't warm enough for me for the bitter cold that we get at my parents over the winter (below zero!) When the weather gets that bad, I suck it up on put on my huge Columbia brand winter coat, which is not fashionable at all but the warmest thing I own!

Where in the cold-ness are you moving too? Hard to guess from your signature, but I'm from NY and if you are going to Stonybrook, they actually don't get much snow. Other than this past year they got a huge blizzard right before Christmas, but they typically are fairly mild over the winter (temperatures are mediated by the ocean :P )

I'm going to graduate school where it snows and I've lived in an area where it doesn't snow for my entire life. What should I wear during the winter/snow seasons? I'm pretty sure normal sunny California winter clothing doesn't cut it. :lol:

Sorry, but I cannot resist... "something warm."

I grew up in Southern California and then moved to NYC and lived there for 10 years. I was completely unprepared when I first got there having never owned anything warmer than a hoody. By the time I moved to Northern California almost 2 years ago, I had figured it out. I think the most important thing is to have a wind proof jacket. I never owned a down jacket but instead wore a fleece with a canvas knee length jacket over it and this kept out all the wind from the city windtunnels. Everyone always thought I was crazy because it looked so light, but it was a great way to not be completely weighed down and still be warm. I also strongly recommend a pair of Patagonia silkweight long undies to wear under pants. My now husband introduced me to them when we first started dating and this made all the difference. They aren't super skin tight to make you uncomfortable (like if you were to actually wear tights or leggings under pants) and were still lightweight so I wouldn't get too hot when I walked into a building. Honestly, I never complained about the weather after I figured this out. Between the jacket, scarves, hat, gloves, you won't look super fashionable, but you will be more happy if you are warm!

Lastly, I completely agree with the other poster about not pulling out all your warmest gear on the first day it drops below 40. It will get much, much colder.